• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

It’s completely unrelated, but I agree with both of you. I think Nolan’s movies are… fine.
I find them too serious and sometimes even pretentious.
The only one I like is The Prestige. Still, not my favorite.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sorry. The Dark Knight trilogy is perfect. And I don’t think anyone could have directed it better than Nolan. Plausible Act 1. Destructive Act 2. Heroic Act 3 with a good ending that left everyone satisfied. Except for what is Robin going to do? But I digress. Just commenting on a comment that has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread’s topic.

A topic, I think should just go away. The game is now out and is being played. No reason to belabor how it was created. Time to create a new thread on the playability/enjoyability of the game itself.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1301

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Memento is part of my three M’s favourite movies of this century (along with Mulholland Drive and Million Dollar Baby).

Then again, all this is off topic. Please, keep commenting Return to Monkey Island. I won’t play it until Christmas, but I enjoy what you say here.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Some thoughts about ending. Guybrush’s words can have different meanings for his son and the player. To the player they may mean that Ron has changed the original ending of MI2. A “wrong ending” of RTMI told to the Guybrush’s son may be nod to the ending Ron intended for MI2 back then, meaning MI2 ending was never meant anything else than a revelation that adventures in MI games were a park ride. A fact that Ron don’t give us a new ending (and didn’t do something like clearly accepting the interpretation of CMI) might mean that he has accepted that his games have become classics. And classics remain relevant because new generations find interpretations for classics that are relevant to them. In this case Guybrush’s son arguing with his father would be symbolic, he would be symbol of those new generations.
I can’t quite bypass Batman and The Dark Knight here. There are those strange cases where characters themselves become classic characters and new generations interpret them their own ways.

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 23 September 2022 09:50 PM

Sorry. The Dark Knight trilogy is perfect. And I don’t think anyone could have directed it better than Nolan. Plausible Act 1. Destructive Act 2. Heroic Act 3 with a good ending that left everyone satisfied. Except for what is Robin going to do? But I digress. Just commenting on a comment that has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread’s topic.

A topic, I think should just go away. The game is now out and is being played. No reason to belabor how it was created. Time to create a new thread on the playability/enjoyability of the game itself.

All subjective id say only batman begins is good, part 3 was worse than part two. Memento is my favorite of all of nolan’s movies by far.

But thats the last i will say about him. Back to the game

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 September 2022 07:22 PM

Christopher Nolan is way overhyped especially the Dark Knight. Heath Ledger saves that movie from being utterly terrible.  plot holes everywhere, they short Change Harvey Dent AKA Two-Face and Christian Bale and Maggie Gyllenhaal have so little chemistry it is in the negative range. The only reason that movie gets praised is because of heath ledger as the joker. it is so generic past that, what a huge step down from Batman Begins

I agree wholeheartedly.  Heath Ledger is spellbinding as The Joker.  An absolute powerhouse of a performance but pretty much everything else about the movie is poor (aside from direction, some of the acting and effects).  Christian Bale’s performance as Batman is ridiculous throughout the entire trilogy.  I never fail to laugh when he’s dressed as Batman, talking to Lucius (Morgan Freeman) alone in their secret tech lab and he still uses his silly Batman voice, even though Lucius knows that he’s Bruce Wayne, so there’s absolutely no need for Bruce to put on his daft “I’m well hard, me” gruff voice.  Whenever I get an itch to revisit The Dark Knight, I just watch the compilation of all of Heath Ledger’s scenes on YouTube and it fully satisfies that craving.  No need to watch the rest of the movie, for it is gubbins.

Just my two pieces of eight on the man who dresses as a bat.  Back to Monkey Island…

Total Posts: 2103

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tbh the whole concept of a man dressing as a bat is ridiculous) Only the animated series worked for me because of the awesome stylisation. Pirates are so much cooler, at least in their romanticised form. Guybrush, besides his superpower to hold breath under water, mastered voodoo, killed zombies, defeated the swordmaster, performed various prison breaks, survived explosions and was shot from cannons. No Batman could stop him. That said, I have yet to finish the game and see more of his deeds, I’m still stuck on the ship.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Doom - 24 September 2022 12:44 PM

Tbh the whole concept of a man dressing as a bat is ridiculous) Only the animated series worked for me because of the awesome stylisation.

I agree.  That’s why I think that, generally speaking, the only superhero adaptations which truly work are the ones which don’t take themselves too seriously and just have fun with the concept, such as Tim Burton’s Batman or Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man.  The moment a filmmaker tries to make a superhero dark and gritty, it only serves to highlight the absurdity of the concept.  You gotta lean into the daftness of the concept a little, instead of fighting against it (though not too much, lest you end up with the Batman & Robin movie).  The moment you try to make the concept grounded and dour, it’s difficult to suspend your disbelief as an audience member and to not constantly think of how ludicrous it would be for someone to dress up in spandex in real-life and go around their town beating up criminals.

Case in point.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

Loved the game, it’s very personal, but ambiguous enough to allow for future installments.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

sordy-wordy - 24 September 2022 05:10 PM

Loved the game, it’s very personal, but ambiguous enough to allow for future installments.

I agree with you. I was expecting closure, an end to the series… It actually felt like a new beginning. Now, I don’t know if Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman are interested to do a sequel, I would love to see a new Monkey Island, from them or someone else, honestly.
The MI universe now feels more open than ever. I feel like anybody could do anything with it.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

To be frank, I would be very happy if there was never another sequel.  I think Ron Gilbert ended it perfectly, just as he began it.  I don’t need things I like to go into perpetuity.  Quite happy to place a bookmark on a series.  It feels like a natural end.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

So… sorry for asking again, but is there anybody who has any idea if there will be a boxed release?

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

So when are Adventure Gamers doing a review? 😁 Laughing

Total Posts: 2103

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finally finished the game, got a bit stuck on the code wheel because I was adding 4 years, like the limerick said, not 4 clicks like the designers wanted me to. Saw that ending coming and avoided it by running back through the door first time around which felt relieving. But I had to see the “real ending” then which I found to be lazy. Even that letter didn’t help. This is coming from someone who thought MI2’s ending was brilliant back in the day, but you don’t finish the series like this.

The game itself was good, but not great imho (I’m also surprised AG hasn’t posted a review yet). Chapters 2 and 4 were the best, full of oldschool adventuring. Still there were too many self-references for my taste, fun parts immediately followed by something cringy (those tired mazes or catacombs at the end) and humour which didn’t fit the series that well, especially involving Guybrush who often acted like a modern cartoon.

In this regards I’m still not convinced by his new looks nor his attitude. I mentioned the many deeds he committed throughout the series before. Well, in Return he just fails at everything, nothing he does is cool or epic, even Elaine says that at one point. He doesn’t defeat LeChuck nor anyone else, at least in a fair battle; he destroys the mop tree for no reason; he pathetically falls down cliffs and fights the old Herman, leaving him to die for cheap laughs; he publicly destroys the crown and dooms the whole society to anarchy simply because he wants to find that secret so much. And that’s basically the plot: I WANT THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND NO MATTER WHAT.

I guess it mirrors the expectations of Monkey Island fans, but it’s still an adventure game preceded by at least two games that established the universe. This felt like driven by Guybrush’s obsession and nothing else. In the end he didn’t even care much about Wally, Voodoo Lady or anyone else. And neither did I tbh, because most of the characters felt like cameos placed there for nostalgic reasons. Well, Voodoo Lady was alright, mystical and cryptic as always, and Stan had arguably the best recurring role, but Elaine, Carla, Herman, even Murray felt like lost opportunities. Elaine in particular, she acted like a completely different person interested in completely irrelevant things.

I thought LeShip was a great idea though — a whole bunch of original characters that gave some insight into LeChuck’s business, the chapter had that dark MI vibe. His new rivals, on the other hand, were kinda meh and their story didn’t lead anywhere. I also didn’t like the annoying cutscenes with Guybrush’s son, the game could’ve done better without them. Loved the Chums concept though, fun secret society of absolutely different characters. I must say that those cute little quests worked better for me than simple inventory puzzles — like the one where you have to fill out the ridiculous custom form.

And graphically it also grew on me (in low resolution), big thanks to the many hotspots and random animations you see everywhere — jungle and underwater scenes in particular were full of life, they made best use of their cutout animation technique. Generally I find Return to be the weakest entry in the series, mostly due to the writing and design issues, and the number of fetch and “collect x items” quests is overwhelming. But it’s still a solid full-length adventure with many ideas thrown in, can’t rate it anywhere lower than 4 out of 5 stars.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Some James Bond fans see a difference between a good Bond movie and just a good movie. I think a similar categorization applies to my opinion about MI games too. As example, I have to admit that i find CMI to be a good humorous pirate adventure but not a good MI game. So how would i rate RTMI both as a MI game and as a adventure? At first i thought that i rate it good as both. Then again, to me it seems to be a solid MI game, so i would say it is a near great MI game. And while i found graphics uneven, i find some scenes to be most beautiful of all MI games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top