You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Do you use the voice recognition? I don't think mine works cause I got no reaction to what I was calling the Judge.
Voice recognition works for specific game actions only. You will see a small icon next to the action button with a small "Y" written beside it.

Two of those actions are pressing and objecting while in court (I don't remember if there are others too, but those are the main ones). In order for it to work correctly though, you have to press and hold the "Y" button before speaking into the mic.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #862
Lovable rogue

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

I'm on the final Nod mission, and it's annoyingly tricky.

I've already completed the GDI missions, so I just need to do this to unlock the Scrin campaign.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #863
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
I had real trouble finishing the first Phoenix Wright. Introducing new evidence isn't really contrary to the real world, so long as its really new and wasn't just withheld to screw with opposing counsel (which happens again and again throughout the game, even Phoenix does it).

I just hate the witnesses who are allowed to lie over and over again, its so silly and its the core game mechanic! I also got tired of having to do everyone's job, not just my own.

In Phoenix land, defence lawyers don't just have to prove reasonable doubt, they can't even win by proving their client didn't do it (which you often do less than halfway through a case). No, they have to prove who did it, make them break down on the stand ala Perry Mason and confess or the asinine Judge won't make a verdict clearing your client!

Do you use the voice recognition? I don't think mine works cause I got no reaction to what I was calling the Judge.

The dialogue offers no alternate play route, the options are mostly dead ends for humor's sake or for getting a penalty (the exclamation marks which lead to failure/do-over).
I think Phoenix Wright resembles Japanese animes more than real life, where everything is exaggerated. I remember watching soccer animes when I was young, and they would recall the player's life story when they kicked the ball. Also the player could dribble past 11 players in the other team and score. It makes you cringe sometimes, but don't take it seriously, as it was never meant to be taken as a simulation of real life law.

As far as the voice recognition goes, it does work but you can say anything in the mic and he will say objection. I once said football, and he yelled objection.

Firefox rules
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #864
delusions of adequacy

Well I was saying something that started with "F..."

I know its meant to be exaggerated, I do get a laugh out of it often enough. I just really hate the mechanics of the trial system. I suppose its doing its job, because you really do come to hate the opposing counsel with everything stacked in their favour and the way they act so pugnacious.

I recently picked the first one up again to complete it come hell or high water and was pleased to note the 'tacked on' new episodes begin to address a lot of my criticisms with their own tongue in cheek humor. The new characters (and their art) is hilarious. I especially enjoyed visiting Edgeworth's office.

It gives me hope the second and third games might be worth slogging through after all.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #865
Master of time and space

ICO
About 1h into the game and not terribly impressed so far. It's a pretty platform game with a nice twist, but so far I haven't seen or experienced anything that sets it apart from Tomb Raider. But, I'm still only 1h into the game so I'm expecting that things will pick up sooner or later.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #866
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've gone back to Neverwinter Nights 2, and I'm currently cursing one long chain battle that rapidly kills off my entire party. I'm supposed to be smuggling some goods along a road, but the enemy placement is such that once I start fighting one of them each fight in turn causes the next set of enemies to approach. And there's only so much futile battling I can take before I begin to wonder whether the game is oddly designed (I don't believe that I've skipped anything in getting to this part of the game, so my characters' levels should be fine), or whether I just suck at managing five characters during combat.

*sigh* My return to gaming after getting my computer fixed has so far been a complete non-starter.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #867
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I've gone back to Neverwinter Nights 2, and I'm currently cursing one long chain battle that rapidly kills off my entire party. I'm supposed to be smuggling some goods along a road, but the enemy placement is such that once I start fighting one of them each fight in turn causes the next set of enemies to approach. And there's only so much futile battling I can take before I begin to wonder whether the game is oddly designed (I don't believe that I've skipped anything in getting to this part of the game, so my characters' levels should be fine), or whether I just suck at managing five characters during combat.

*sigh* My return to gaming after getting my computer fixed has so far been a complete non-starter.

Even on Easy, I find that the combat can be brutal in NWN2. The bandit camp near Fort Locke, for example, can quickly overwhelm Khelgar, Neeshka and my character with all the bandits they throw at us. And those guys are nothing compared to many of the later enemies. I figure I keep playing it because I'm a sucker for punishment, lol.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #868
delusions of adequacy

After a long absence from shooters (last one I played was Quake 3), I just got ahold of a bunch and am currently trying Quake 4.

Its funny, I was remembering Quake 2 fondly and thought while installing Quake 4 that someone might have made a Q2 single player mod for the new engine. After 5 hours of playing the game I now realise why no one bothered, Raven already did it. It was fun to see a more beautifully rendered Quake 2 but that novelty soon wears off. I keep hoping the next weapon or enemy will be interesting. The squad mates that just appear now and then seem little more than atmosphere. I really feel like a mouse in a one way tube.

Spoiler:

Being turned into a strogg still seems rather pointless. I would have preferred they exploit the whole robocop syndrome by making more of my humanity before I lost it (like mentioning a girlfriend, pet dog, anything) and throwing in some psychological side effects to my transformation. I sure hope there's another 'upgrade' coming because I don't see how an extra 25 health and a bigger font in my GUI suddenly makes me capable of beating the new Makron

Maybe I'll have more joy with Prey or Half Life 2.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #869
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Last evening I installed Q1 again, or more likely ezQuake and me and my friends played 4 player co-op and completed two first episodes in a relatively quick time.

Q1, still one of the best fps games around. I love Quake.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #870
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Killer 7 - GC - Just fought the Handsome Men... what a corny scripted battle that was. Almost felt like one of those old Neo-Geo arcade fighter games. Well, onto the next level.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #871

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
If you have been away that long I recommend you try No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Far Cry, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Condemned: Criminal Origins and F.E.A.R.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #872
Cheese Pants King

Conquered:

Killer 7 - GC - Quite the twister ending which I won't spoil for anyone who is playing the game. Maybe I'll try giving Killer 8 a whirl now...

Playing:

Resident Evil 0 - GC - Just getting starting. Killed a giant scorpion and just exploring now.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - PS2 - Just defeated Legion... "HELL YEAH! Take that you oversized, corpse hurling, ... thing... you! Oh, and by the way I stole your pizza! Think you could hide that from me? Not a chance." That was one long-ass battle but after using up all my health items, some tricky fighting tactics and my devil summons... it was so worth it. You don't really get anything important though, it was more of an issue thing.

Quote:
I've only read reviews that Quake 4 was kinda... blah, so I nevered bothered with it. You'll like Half-Life 2. But it doesn't beat Half-Life 1... the NON-Steam version with the high-definition pak installed.

Last edited by Endosanity; 08-25-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #873
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Just finished the second chapter of "A Tale of Two Kingdoms". Pretty cool so far, I like the detailed descriptions.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #874
Cheese Pants King

Daikatana - PC - I will overcome this games annoyances an conquer it once and for all. It's been sitting around for about five years and I finally decided... that's it. I'm currently in a dungeon currently fighting bats, dwarves, werewolves, and zombies.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #875
delusions of adequacy

Playing Phoenix Wright 2 although I miss the scientific analysis and hope it will return later. Old school adventure gaming rears its ugly head too often. Phoenix often travels to and from Kurain Village (a reported 2+ hour train ride) many times a day for the most trivial thing/conversation in order to 'unlock' items to be found at previously visited locations.

Rounds of Ouendan 2 brighten my mood when Phoenix gets me down though.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #876
Cheese Pants King

Daikatana - PC - In a tower shooting monsters, I just wanna get through this without restarting too many times from my partner killing themselves for some stupid-ass reason.

Resident Evil 0 - GC - Out of a train wreck into the mansion. Now the real fun begins I suppose.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #877
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

BioShock - The Endgame
Spoiler:
I'm a little bummed that I didn't terminate all the Big Daddies and Little Sisters in previous levels, although I got most of them. Now I'm working on killing Fontaine, AKA Atlas, and he's a pretty easy boss battle even on Hard mode, which I love.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 08-28-2007 at 06:39 AM. Reason: minor chapter name change since it was slightly spoilery in itself
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #878
Cheese Pants King

Daikatana - PC - Kickin' ass in Alcatraz

Shadow of the Colossus - PS2 - At first I thought this game was cool but it's getting downright boring altogether. Currently fighting this turtle thing that you have to knock over using geysers. Ho-Hum.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 AM   #879
Squeaky

Bioshock - replaying it...
Spoiler:
...because the first time through, I harvested all the little sisters and got what I can only assume is the 'bad' ending.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #880
gin soaked boy

Finally gotten around to playing Cave Story and it's good, but not as great as I thought it would be. Fine for a game made by a single person, but I've played much better freeware games.