View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #868
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

After a long absence from shooters (last one I played was Quake 3), I just got ahold of a bunch and am currently trying Quake 4.

Its funny, I was remembering Quake 2 fondly and thought while installing Quake 4 that someone might have made a Q2 single player mod for the new engine. After 5 hours of playing the game I now realise why no one bothered, Raven already did it. It was fun to see a more beautifully rendered Quake 2 but that novelty soon wears off. I keep hoping the next weapon or enemy will be interesting. The squad mates that just appear now and then seem little more than atmosphere. I really feel like a mouse in a one way tube.

Spoiler:

Being turned into a strogg still seems rather pointless. I would have preferred they exploit the whole robocop syndrome by making more of my humanity before I lost it (like mentioning a girlfriend, pet dog, anything) and throwing in some psychological side effects to my transformation. I sure hope there's another 'upgrade' coming because I don't see how an extra 25 health and a bigger font in my GUI suddenly makes me capable of beating the new Makron

Maybe I'll have more joy with Prey or Half Life 2.