You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #541

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Well, I have dropped everything in favor for Jade Empire: Special Edition. Played it nonstop in 2 days but had to make a break for schoolwork.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #542
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Well, I have dropped everything in favor for Jade Empire: Special Edition. Played it nonstop in 2 days but had to make a break for schoolwork.
You seem to go through a lot of games in the time it takes me to get through one. Who are you and what is it you do to find the time?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #543
Wading down the amazon

Send a message via MSN to makini

Playing Runaway 2 - and I just managed to get Dean Grassick out of my way.... What an irritating (but nicely written ) character!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:35 AM   #544

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
You seem to go through a lot of games in the time it takes me to get through one. Who are you and what is it you do to find the time?
Simple question, advanced reply...

I never play games for the challenge, just the story and the experience.

When I was a child my mother always read stories to me and we often visited the movies, therefore I grew up to have stories and storytelling as a hobby. I sometimes go beyond the story and study the narrative out of pure interest. I enjoy the way they can deliver thoughts or messages, or sometimes just entertainment. I dream about one day to use this knowledge as tools for education.
What I feel is that the more senses a piece of fiction can fill the better. Books/Audiobooks only occupy eyes or ears. Movies occupy eyes and ears. Games occupy eyes and ears and also give you control over your virtual self. So I find that games tend to deliver the best stories.

Adventuregames are virtual stories, so they ofcourse end up first, but I also enjoy other genrés that do not drop the story such as roleplaying games and even some firstperson shooters.

At the age of 29 I am currently reading up school with the plan to be a programmer or engineer (I used to be a webdesigner), maybe so I can start to create the kind of educational software I spoke about above. Since I only study part time it gives me alot of free time.

I try to check up games before I play them, and I usually only play games that had some recognition (I do the same with movies). This so I wont waste time. Then I play them from the beginning to the end, using walkthroughs to speed up the experience without halts. That way I chew through alot of games. I have a list of games released prior to 1995 that I plan to complete before I begin with 1995-2000. At this pace I will probably be done next summer. I usually go through 1-3 games per week. My wife plays alot of SWG so she isnt bothered about my gaming hours.

When I am done I remember what was good, what was bad, how the story was delivered and it's structure/architecture and I store this in my memory for future use.

Ofcourse I usually end up enjoying games that manage to deliver a great experience and also a philosophical message that rise thought. For example, I currently play Jade Empire and I liked the philosophy behind Open Palm/Closed Fist. Unfortunally the game later fall into a strict good vs evil plot in which the character actions go between being extremely altruistic or extremely rude, not somewhere inbetween.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:00 AM   #545

Right now I'm stuck, absolutely brick-wall stuck, in The Secret of Monkey Island. I know, I know, everybody's played it. Well, I never have. Until now. And I'm stuck.

I think I'll go and Google for walkthroughs...
Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #546
Lazy Bee

I've just reached Day 7 of G.K Sins of the Father. I'm beginning to see the point of many, that stories like this (and the other G.K games) isn't made anymore. I'm so into the story I have trouble deciding whether to play non stop or to make this game last for as long as possible.
I like the variety of the puzzles and I find them fairly easy. Just as I like it.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:27 AM   #547

Found a walkthrough for Monkey Island. Solved that little problem. Played some more. Got stuck again.

I hate using walkthroughs. But I took a quick peek and glimpsed one or two words that might put me on the right track. So I'll see how much farther I get tonight.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #548
Party On Dudes

FFXII.... don't have a clue how far i am, in some egyptian style temple, quite a wealthy distance into the game but nowhere near completion i am guessing. this game, i have to say, rules. getting CRACKDOWN soon, sytem link mayhem i hope...

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #549
gin soaked boy

Played a bit of Dreamfall. It looks nice, nothing impressive, but the visuals are clean and colorful and the world is well designed.

Controls could use a bit of tuning. I don't know if it's just my gamepad, but the focus field isn't very precise, it's sometimes hard to select things you want to interact with. The whole interacting with objects part is a little clumsy and I don't think the objects you can interact with are well outlined, especially people - especially when they're standing behind other stuff.

The combat controls are not awful awful, but yeah, they're pretty bad.

I don't really like the dialogue. I can sympathize with Zoe because I'm in a pretty similar situation myself, but young people don't talk like that, at least not where I'm from. Maybe Ragnar should ease up on Dawson's Creek a little.
I suppose it won't be much of a problem when the focus shifts from character exposition to adventuring and progressing the story so the sooner that happens, the better.

Judging by what I've seen so far, I liked both Fahrenheit's interface and characterization a bit better, but I'm hoping Dreamfall will have a better overall story (that shouldn't be too hard ).
Old 03-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #550

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Diablo 2: Act 4 on my way to kill Diablo

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point: somewhere in Interval 5
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 03-10-2007, 07:24 AM   #551
Master of time and space

Jade Empire, looking for the Mother...
Old 03-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #552
Crazy

Broken Sword 4. Currently in Arizona.

Hitman: Blood Money, third time through from the beginning. Currently on the mission 'A New Life'.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 03-11-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #553
Lazy Bee

I've just started Barrow Hill. I have high expectations of this game. That's not always a good thing I know, but I'm really excited!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #554
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Reactor 09. I'm probably about 70% of the way through it.
I could count all of the underground games I've played on one hand, so I thought I'd give this one a try. 5/10 stars for me. The intriguing story makes for an interesting game, although the screens are rather blurry, making it hard to notice detail, and the dialogue isn't very good at all. Fun for an afternoon, but little else.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #555
DAVE

X-Wing Alliance. Technically I've finished this already but I don't know where the heck my pilot file is
Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #556
Crazy

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Right now I'm chasing a Ghoul who's stolen a crystal I need.

Fun game, combines FPS and RPG to give you an interesting FP(action)RPG So far I'm enjoying it, and the fact that it plays well on my 4 year old system is a bonus. It uses the source engine, and makes good use of it's wacky physics.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #557
Lazy Bee

Barrow Hill
I've finally made it up to the stone circle. This is one excellent game. It's got a great atmosphere, lots of exploration and interesting puzzles.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #558
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Barrow Hill
I've finally made it up to the stone circle. This is one excellent game. It's got a great atmosphere, lots of exploration and interesting puzzles.
I tried to like Barrow Hill, but after playing for about two hours I realized that I couldn't stand the graphics and production value. It just felt cheap and bad...

Anyway, Fable going to free the archaeologist from prison.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #559
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

2 things made me decide to stop playing Barrow Hill:

-The ultra-cheap graphic involving the guy you meet behind that windowed door

-The maze-like town and countryside, where I could literally wander around aimlessly for hours, not finding anything to further the game along.

After a few hours, I decided that it was more tedious than fun. Meh.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #560
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Zelda: Twilight Princess - Now reaching the 30 hour mark.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives