Game you're playing. How far you are. - Page 26 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #501
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Do you keep asking him about the ritualistic coffin?

I recall I've never played the entire game with the narrator 'on'. I always turned her off in the first three minutes. "Gabriel might as well leave that here!"
Somehow after playing Gabriel Knight 1, for years and years I thought a black woman narrated the movie Blade Runner in the theatrical cut which I never even saw. I'm playing Poseidon, up to the most challenging campaigns now.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #502
DAVE

Just started Planescape: Torment and it's blowing me away. So much good dialogue, great ambience, WHO IS THIS PLAYER CHARACTER?, ghosts, monsters, thieves. Awesome, just awesome. I gotta get me more like these. Suggestions?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #503
Vigilant

Bulgur's Gate. If you haven't played it and enjoyed Planescape, that is the way to go.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #504
Super Moderator

Do you mean Baldur's gate?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #505
DAVE

Yeah I have Baldur's Gate II and the expansion around here somewhere, but never got around to starting. The whole D&D thing is confusing like hell to me, and to be honest I wouldn't know which race, class, whatever to pick to begin with. I like very specific types of characters that I don't feel the game covers. But maybe I'm wrong. Will try it after I finish Torment.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #506
Vigilant

Yes, thanks Melanie. My english sometimes gets the better of me.

As to you Catbert, I just assumed that if you were playing Planescape, you were comfortable with D&D rules. If not, I can recommend a whole slew of games that you would love that are not as hardcore as Baldur. If you are interested, just ask!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #507
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Just started Myst III...
Old 02-20-2007, 02:09 AM   #508

I like "Bulgur's Gate". The adventures of some cracked wheat in a world in chaos.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:32 AM   #509
marsan

I currently got Myst III and Myst IV on hold until I get around to finishing these games

I just finished replaying Sam & Max - Episode 1 through 3, and I am currently playing Sam & Max - Hit's the road.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #510
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
Yes, thanks Melanie. My english sometimes gets the better of me.

As to you Catbert, I just assumed that if you were playing Planescape, you were comfortable with D&D rules. If not, I can recommend a whole slew of games that you would love that are not as hardcore as Baldur. If you are interested, just ask!
Well in Planescape you know the fighting is that dice thing. Roll some dice, if you win you hit him. Works for me, it's simple. What I never understood was the alignment system and classes.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #511
Vigilant

Ok, in that case, you might like turn based games such as Septerra Core and Fallout.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #512
DAVE

I did both Fallouts and I have Septerra Core around here somewhere too, came on a magazine. I tried it out but it felt too complicated and not very appealing. I'll try Baldur's Gate II with a fighter character and let you know how it went.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #513
Vigilant

Haha, ok, I hope you enjoy it. For some reason I got the impression that you were new to the genre, but obviously I was mistaken. There are plenty of obscure fantasy based RPGs out there that are sometimes very rewarding to discover on your own as well. I would love to hear how you like the game once you get into it!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #514

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Diablo 2: Lord Of Destruction, halfway into the third act. The 1.11 patch makes it a bit to easy in the beginning but it's okay now. Only thing is that they drop so much unique and magic items that i had almost 100000 gold before the end of act 1. Which is a bit of a shame since i can buy everything i want now.
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #515
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
Haha, ok, I hope you enjoy it. For some reason I got the impression that you were new to the genre, but obviously I was mistaken. There are plenty of obscure fantasy based RPGs out there that are sometimes very rewarding to discover on your own as well. I would love to hear how you like the game once you get into it!
I'm kinda newish to D&D rules, that's all. I believe KOTOR had those rules but they blended in with the game, you barely saw any rolls in combat at all and as long as the fights went smoothly and I had a control over what the stats mean, I'm ok with it. The real problem is with the classes. I don't have a clue if a paladin, a barbarian or a wizard can do what I like most in a character. I like my RPG PCs Persuasive and ass kicking
Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #516
delusions of adequacy

Interesting coincidence (to Tangentblack's avatar at the time of this posting) I'm playing through Anachronox. I started on normal but the fighting was just too easy so I restarted on very hard. As such, I've played up to Sender Station One twice now. Great, funny game even having to do that twice. Unfortunately 'very hard' is still way too easy, even after the 1.02 build 46 patch.

Outside of combat the game is [email protected]$%^ing-tastic. It took me a little while to get past the quake 1 and 2 blocky models but I'm in love now and barely notice them anymore. Grumpo's yammer special attack is funny EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I have a game of the original Icewind dale going too. It uses the infinity engine (like Planescape) but I can't recommend it to Catbert. IWD is an unforgiving D&D title that has you playing up to 6 player generated characters slogging through tough battle after nightmare battle, with a little bit of story now and then .

I love it in small doses but the further I play the smaller the doses get. It seems like you need a degree in D&D stats, races and equipment just to get anywhere in it. I'm dreading when high level mages and clerics are regular opponents. Knowing what to cast and when (to the microsecond) is a headache I don't need.

For lighter fun I play a level of Darwinia occasionally. Its like lemmings meets Dune 2 meets the movie Tron.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #517
gin soaked boy

I've given up on Pathologic for the time being, I really don't feel like playing something so gloomy at the moment. Instead, I've started Armed & Dangerous and so far it's been a blast. The barrel explosions just keep amazing me, they look so great! The video quality in the PC version is seriously messed up, though. This is probably the only game I've ever played in which CG animations look considerably worse than actual gameplay.

In addition to that, I'm still playing Tiberian Sun, slowly approaching the end of the GDI campaign.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #518
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I've been playing Football Manager 2006 for about a year now and I've not yet won the Finnish championship in it after playing for about 7 seasons...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #519
Vigilant

Crunchy, it brings a tear to my eye every time someone new plays Anachronox; it is like a dead pet that I mourn for when I hear it's name.

In regards to the combat, I have always thought of Anox as an adventure at heart trying to win over the RPG crowd. The combat is really only mediocre and unchallenging even on hard as you suggested. There are a few difficult battles that you will encounter throughout the game, but nothing too outlandish.

The reason why I say that it is an adventure game first and then an RPG is the emphasis on level design rather than gameplay. Although the worldskill minigames are amusing, it is important to explore every little detail that the environments have to offer. The dialogue (which would have been absolutely incredible if they would have used voice overs like originally planned) is a burlesque of a myriad of topics and is as witty and clever as it is well placed. Even after playing it through several times I find myself actually looking for NPC's to talk to as if they were some vital part of the game itself.

I am very happy that you are enjoying the game and I would love to hear your comments once you further yourself in it. By the way, if you find Grumpos' world skill funny now, you should wait until you upgrade it to master worldskill. I was rolling on the ground faster than you could say Manastrovos!

Oh, and so as not to derail the topic, I finished MDK2 and Messiah and am moving on to the Action-RPG Sacrifice. The game is very impressive and quite innovative in its design. I am having a ball with the various creatures that are available to the main character through the different gods. The story is also well told; the events that took place in the main character's past have me glued to my seat

Last edited by TangentBlack; 02-22-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #520
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Interesting coincidence (to Tangentblack's avatar at the time of this posting) I'm playing through Anachronox. I started on normal but the fighting was just too easy so I restarted on very hard. As such, I've played up to Sender Station One twice now. Great, funny game even having to do that twice. Unfortunately 'very hard' is still way too easy, even after the 1.02 build 46 patch.

Outside of combat the game is [email protected]$%^ing-tastic. It took me a little while to get past the quake 1 and 2 blocky models but I'm in love now and barely notice them anymore. Grumpo's yammer special attack is funny EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I have a game of the original Icewind dale going too. It uses the infinity engine (like Planescape) but I can't recommend it to Catbert. IWD is an unforgiving D&D title that has you playing up to 6 player generated characters slogging through tough battle after nightmare battle, with a little bit of story now and then .

I love it in small doses but the further I play the smaller the doses get. It seems like you need a degree in D&D stats, races and equipment just to get anywhere in it. I'm dreading when high level mages and clerics are regular opponents. Knowing what to cast and when (to the microsecond) is a headache I don't need.

For lighter fun I play a level of Darwinia occasionally. Its like lemmings meets Dune 2 meets the movie Tron.
I'm happy with Planescape but the combat in it sucks. It's not the rules, it's the implementation, I guess the infinity engine wasn't that great for combats.