You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #3461
Lazy Bee

Oh good. Gotta have a least some:

-Anomalies detected in the temporal rematerialization subroutine! -
-Calibrate the Heisenberg subspace decompiler with mutual nullifiers! -

or some:

-Failure in the eisilium transporter emissions! -
-Compensate the command warp engine pylons with broad-spectrum transporter console! -

Old 05-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #3462
Dungeon Master

Star Trek as well.

I really tried to give this universum many chances in the past but none of the shows or movies managed to hold my attention for long. Technobabble and ridiculous science (which wouldn't be half as annoying if I hadn't heard the fans always pointing out how realistic Star Treks are compared to average sci-fi standards. Yeah, right.), inconsistencies, plots that tried hard to be all dramatic yet careful not to upset the status quo, slow pace... Thanks, but no thanks.

Now, there's a Star Trek I was waiting for. One not taking itself too seriously. One where characters remain fun melanges of quirks and stereotypes but are also given something to do in the plot. One where technobabble is used to speed up plot or for humour, but not as deus ex machina. And one which shouldn't (I suppose) alienate too many old fans, because, while effectively a reboot of the franchise, due to sensible use of time travel plot device the original continuity is not invalidated. (Which is funny when you consider how many times did the original continuity contradict itself.)

One of the reasons I, non-Trekkie, was expecting this film with interest, was an admirable cast, especially Zachary Quinto, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg and Eric Bana. None of them disappoints (well, Bana as a villain is a little pale - and I don't mean the makeup - but he had been given a pretty thankless role). But unexpectedly it's Karl Urban (Éomer in LOTR films, who afterwards went to star in very unremarkable movies) who steals every scene as Doctor McCoy.

Another reason was the involvement of Lost crew, and I don't even mean J. J. Abrams, but rather Michael Giacchino (responsible for the mesmerizing new score, proving again he is one of the best and most versatile composers of illustrative music today; just compare his work eg. in Lost, Ratatouille, Medal of Honor: Airborne and here) and Damon Lidelof (officially credited as "producer", but screenwriters admitted he had a lot of influence on the script, which figures, because how else would the hacks who had written Transformers could have come up with something this neat?). Both delivered as well.

There are flaws. The plot is, when you think about it, rather shallow and (for a change in this series) goes too fast -- it would benefit from more room to breathe. The universe feels too small, with characters bumping into people they're destined too meet (or those people's relatives, or future versions) with way too much ease. Some of the special effects (especially the superficial background aliens) were less convincing than the others. But boy is it FUN and, in words of Scotty (Pegg), "So exciting!". I'll be surprised if any Summer blockbuster this year tops it. Count me in for the sequel.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #3463
Psychonaut

Coraline 3D

A stop motion movie based on a Neil Gaiman book and directed by Henry Selick (Nightmare before Christmas) Drooooool .

Coraline Jones and her family move to the "Pink Palace" a creepy house in the country, her stressed out parents don't pay any attention to her, The neighbours are a strange mix (Upstairs is a Russian Circus performer and his dancing mouse act, downstairs is a pair of old actresses with a passion for scotty dogs) and it's raining.

While exploring the house she comes across a small door which leads to another world where her other mother and father are cool, the world is bright and exciting and she is the centre of attention. But is it as perfect as it appears and what's with the button eyes

I truely loved this movie. It might actually be better than Nightmare.

The stop motion animation and limited CGI is superb especially in the other world which is alive with insect chairs, talking toys and living plants.

The eccentric characters are delightful and strange superbly voiced, it's creepy and scary, but uplifting and georgous to look at.

I saw the movie in Real3D and OMG the tech has come a long way since the old 3D movies of old. The 3D effect was excellent even though you still have to wear glasses.

The best movie i've seen this year so far.

10/10
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #3464
Headbanger

Angels and Demons
I don't think it managed to capture the extreme tension from the book, there were some extremely good moments but it didn't really make it all the way. It got a little to bombastic at places where it didn't need to be. The ending was a little to clear on which characters that were suppose to be good or bad in this highly controversial conflict. But the movie is gorgeous and still really good. Looking forward to read and eventually see the next book/movie.

Död snö (Dead Snow)
Extremely fun Norwegian gore-movie about nazis that comes back to life as zombies and starts attacking a couple of people in a cottage. This one is nearly up there at the top with the Evil Dead-series and Braindead.

The Woman In Black
An older British TV-movie that is rather slow-paced which makes you literally crap yourself when the few scary scenes finally comes. Hard to come by but recommended (especially if you liked The Lost Crown).

Necronomicon
Three short stories based on H.P. Lovecraft, with Jeffrey Combs as the author himself. One of the stories is directed by Christophe Gans (the director behind Le pacte des loups and Silent Hill). Overall a rather good (and varied) movie-adaption of Lovecraft.

Natural Born Killers
I haven't seen this one in years. A really adrenaline pumping action-movie about how media (mostly the depiction of violence) reflects society and vice versa. Uses some really interesting film forms like black and white, animation, actual commercials, TV-sitcoms and moviescreens (as backdrops).

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I saw this one again and I'm beginning to change my opinion. If you totally forget about the ending and most things connected with it, the movie isn't all that bad. It's not nearly as good as the old ones but still all right IMO. I'm also starting to really looking forward to Staff of Kings. I'm finally hoping for a game that is at least nearly as good as Fate of Atlantis. I recently discovered that my version of FoA is busted BTW, I guess the disc finally had to give in.

Last edited by Henke; 05-26-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #3465
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Drag Me To Hell: Not only does Sam Raimi prove that he can still direct horror, he proves that he can still make it better than pretty much any other director working today. Drag Me To Hell will make you jump, laugh, and cringe over and over again as Sam throws everything from explosively bloody nosebleeds to talking goats at you. There hasn't been a horror movie this fun in years.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #3466
Homer of Kittens

Just watched UP in 3D on Friday. Another great Pixar movie that has a sadder tone than the older Pixar movies. Completely loved it.

Firefox rules
Old 05-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #3467
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Drag Me To Hell: Not only does Sam Raimi prove that he can still direct horror, he proves that he can still make it better than pretty much any other director working today. Drag Me To Hell will make you jump, laugh, and cringe over and over again as Sam throws everything from explosively bloody nosebleeds to talking goats at you. There hasn't been a horror movie this fun in years.
I'm eager to see his latest, although I wasn't expecting much. Your praising makes it go up a few notch on my personal Hype-o-Meter.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #3468
Freeware Co-ordinator

Coraline

More proof that just because something might be aimed more at kids, doesn't mean it won't appeal to adults.

Coraline Jones has just moved into a new house. Her parents seem to ignore her and there isn't much else to do. Then she discovers mirror world behind a small door where an "other father and mother" treat her in the way she feels she deserves. Of course, the dream world is not quite what it seems.

In a way this is a horror story. But rather than hideous demons and limib-ripping (which would have made the PG certificate tough to justify) the horror stems more from wrongness and the transformation of the dream-world. Right from the start the button eyes of everyone in the dream world are unsettling and things only go downhill from there. It's proof that you don't need gore and shocks when a more intellectual approach can achieve a much more disturbing effect.

It looks beautiful as well. Anyone who has seen The Nightmare Before Christmas will recognise some elements of the animation. It's atonishingly detailed (though that's probably the norm for animation these days) and full of nice little touches that merit close attention (I'd also recommend watching to the end of the credits to see some speical animation done jsut for them)

Nab a kid as cover if you have to but I'd recommend seeing this if you can.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #3469
In an evening of July...

Coraline - pretty good. Great movie, you can see the love to detail in every scene. Not a huge fan of the ending, it feels artificial - but I felt the same way about the book.

Also, just watched 28 days later for the second time, I can't believe I didn't realize what an awesome movie it was the first time I saw it. So much depth for a "zombie horror film", such a great story, I loved it. Saw 28 weeks later when it came out and immediately declared it my favorite zombie movie of all times - I might have to rethink that.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #3470
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Also, just watched 28 days later for the second time, I can't believe I didn't realize what an awesome movie it was the first time I saw it. So much depth for a "zombie horror film", such a great story, I loved it. Saw 28 weeks later when it came out and immediately declared it my favorite zombie movie of all times - I might have to rethink that.
Now you're talking. 28 days later is absolutely great.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #3471
The Quiet One

I third that. It's one of my favourite movies. I have no interest in 28 Weeks Later though.

And yep, Coraline is a very good movie. I still prefer The Nightmare before Crimbo, but it was an enjoyable movie never-the-less. I went to see Coraline on my b-day.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #3472
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Now you're talking. 28 days later is absolutely great.
Yeah.. just watched 28 weeks later again. Good movie, but the first was way better. You were right all along.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #3473
Psychonaut

Terminator Salvation

McG reboots the Terminator Franchise.

Christian Bale plays John Connor the resistance leader in the war against the machines. The year is 2018, the world has been destroyed in Judgement day and the remnants of humanity fight against Skynet.

For a summer blockbuster it's a hell of a lot of fun. Giant robots, explosions, gun battles etc etc

As a Terminator film it's better than No. 3, but not quite up to the first two movies. Sure it has lots of cool references (GnR song from T2, "Come with me if you want to live" and one kick ass "cameo") to keep most of the fans happy, but with a 12a rating it's not quite the post apocalyptic horror that they hinted at way back in the original.

Good popcorn munching fun though.

8/10
Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #3474
The Major Grubert.

Star Trek, for all of it's flaws, totally eclipses the ENTIRE franchise. And yet, it could not do so well without the long-standing cannon (which the film manages to honor even while advancing, some would say defiling).

So what we have here is an excellent evolution of the Roddenberry universe, and he is not here to see it. I so much look forward to how it progresses.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #3475
In an evening of July...

Hard Candy

I wish they would've stuck with the evil-crazy-girl-hurting-one-maybe-innocent-man-angle, stir up some controversy. Instead they conclude the story by picturing her as a mysterious angel of vengeance who is sentencing an evil pedophile to his rightful death. This morphed from an interesting movie to a moral tale on tape in only half an hour, what a disappointment.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #3476
The Major Grubert.

I agree, Hard Candy played way too hard. However, I'm looking forward to Ellen Page's career--she's got it going well.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #3477
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Terminator Salvation

McG reboots the Terminator Franchise.

Christian Bale plays John Connor the resistance leader in the war against the machines. The year is 2018, the world has been destroyed in Judgement day and the remnants of humanity fight against Skynet.

For a summer blockbuster it's a hell of a lot of fun. Giant robots, explosions, gun battles etc etc

As a Terminator film it's better than No. 3, but not quite up to the first two movies. Sure it has lots of cool references (GnR song from T2, "Come with me if you want to live" and one kick ass "cameo") to keep most of the fans happy, but with a 12a rating it's not quite the post apocalyptic horror that they hinted at way back in the original.

Good popcorn munching fun though.

8/10

Ditto. I thought it was excellent.

I also liked Star Trek and Wolverine. (But I'm madly in love with Hugh Jackman so I had to see Wolverine for that reason alone.)

As far as recent movies... Land Of The Lost. Not as funny as it could have been but ok. (but I'm a sucker for Will Ferrell)

My Life In Ruins....with the actress from the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie. It was a typical "chick flick" but enjoyable enough.

As far as rentals... Killshot with Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane, Thomas Jane... very good movie.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #3478

I got a copy of Stand By Me the other day and my 19yr nephew and I sat and watched it, he loved it [I have watched it before and loved and still love it].
Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #3479
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
I got a copy of Stand By Me the other day and my 19yr nephew and I sat and watched it, he loved it [I have watched it before and loved and still love it].
Tis a good film that. I bought it on DVD not so long ago because i remembered watching/enjoying it when i was at school. I saw it in my English class.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #3480
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Angels and Demons
I don't think it managed to capture the extreme tension from the book, there were some extremely good moments but it didn't really make it all the way. It got a little to bombastic at places where it didn't need to be. The ending was a little to clear on which characters that were suppose to be good or bad in this highly controversial conflict. But the movie is gorgeous and still really good. Looking forward to read and eventually see the next book/movie.
Could somebody please tell me: is the movie set before The Da Vinci Code as the book is or after, like for example a review here said and as so many in Finland seem to think (greatly thanks to very foolish advertising)?

Have to say, as a book (or "as a literary work") Angels and Demons was better in my opinion (although Da Vinci Code had a much more interesting backstory and hence perhaps more interesting), but based on the trailers and what little I've heard of the movie Angels and Demons is a bit more action-oriented, which would make (the premise) for a worse movie...