You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #3661
Psychonaut

Up

Finally got round to seeing this film.

It was superb. Maybe not their best movie, but it has flashes of brilliance.

The film never quite hits the heights of the heart breaking first 5 mins (apart from maybe the bit with the photo album near the end), but it is a fun movie.

The villian was a bit crap, the talking dogs were a strange addition (but very funny at times) and the action sequence with the planes was a tad pointless. However as a characters study of an old mans life and a buddy movie with the little boy it was a hell of a ride.

It will have you laughing and it will have you crying (in less than 5 minutes ) what more can you ask for.

5/5
Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #3662
Random

Perfume: The story of a murderer - 2006

Woah, what a stunning and intense movie. I've seen it for the 2nd time and it was even more exciting. Very good story at all! I really want to read the book.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #3663
tsa
Playing character

It was brilliant! Well, the story was very cliché, but oh man the graphics were so beautiful. If you like Myst, be sure to see this movie.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #3664
Stalker of Britain

But what if I liked Myst for its stories and characters?!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #3665
the midnight rambler

I'm leaving my brain at the door for Avatar, it's going to be a balls-to-the-wall special effects blow out. Can't wait.

Oh and Fantasy I saw Law Abiding Shitizen the other week and thought it was so absurd it was hilarious!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #3666
Stalker of Britain

I know!! Some movies are so bad, that they're funny!

EDIT: lolz Was that spelling error on purpose?
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #3667
Random

Moon - 2009

Totaly agree with geggis. It really is a top film. One of the best sci-fi drama I've ever seen since 2001: A space odyssey. I really recommend it!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #3668
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
It was brilliant! Well, the story was very cliché, but oh man the graphics were so beautiful. If you like Myst, be sure to see this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
But what if I liked Myst for its stories and characters?!
Then you should still go there because you see a bit of how the people (in this case the aliens) live in their world. In Myst you never see that. You will just have to sit through the last part which is pretty ridiculous and uninspired.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:29 AM   #3669
The Quiet One

Hmmm... Avatar doesn't really grab me to be honest. It looks like a typical CGI-fest with a thin plot. On the other hand, I'm quite curious about District 9. Has anyone here seen it and what did you think of it?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #3670
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Hmmm... Avatar doesn't really grab me to be honest. It looks like a typical CGI-fest with a thin plot. On the other hand, I'm quite curious about District 9. Has anyone here seen it and what did you think of it?
I've seen it. I think it's very interesting and original. I do not like action sci-fi movies but district 9 is an exception. You should watch it, if you do, tell me what did you think of it!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #3671
The Quiet One

I will. Thanks. It certainly looks and sounds interesting/different. I suspect my parents think it's a knock-off of Avatar as they thought the plot sounded the same. But District 9 came out before Avatar and it deals with racism and prejudice issues. Avatar, on the other hand, just seems like a straight-up action movie with mind blowing effects to boot. Not that I have any problems with action movies. I mean, I love Cameron's Terminator 1, 2 and Aliens, but Avatar just doesn't grab me I'm afraid.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #3672
handsome

Quote:
Hmmm... Avatar doesn't really grab me to be honest. It looks like a typical CGI-fest with a thin plot.
And thats exactly what it is.
At least you get to see some blue boobs and the dragons from Panzer Dragoon i guess.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #3673
Stalker of Britain

I saw District 9 Gazzoid, and although I wasn't blown away by it, I did like it a lot. It was very original and definitely worth a view.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #3674
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
At least you get to see some blue boobs
Hehehe. There is that.

Quote:
I saw District 9 Gazzoid, and although I wasn't blown away by it, I did like it a lot. It was very original and definitely worth a view.
That's good to know. I just hope it doesn't disappoint.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #3675
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Polar Express

Oh my. What a sickening, cliché-mired, utterly predictable film.

Wow.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #3676
the midnight rambler

Quote:
I know!! Some movies are so bad, that they're funny!

EDIT: lolz Was that spelling error on purpose?
What spelling error!? Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Moon - 2009

Totaly agree with geggis. It really is a top film. One of the best sci-fi drama I've ever seen since 2001: A space odyssey. I really recommend it!
You know, I was almost entirely convinced my girlfriend had no time for Serious Sci-fi after (really) hating Blade Runner, disliking Sunshine, Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 then she pulled a curve ball by loving 2001 and Moon. It was a pleasant surprise!

Quote:
I'm quite curious about District 9. Has anyone here seen it and what did you think of it?
I thought District 9 was, overall, a great film. It's got some clever juxtapositions with real life discrimination and prejudice (like you said) but is also shot through with black comedy. The film falters on a number of occasions but it's good fun. It's definitely apparent that the director loves Valve too.

Quote:
I'm with you Fantasy, I had high expectations for it and while it didn't blow me away either it was a great bit of sci-fi. One of my friends preferred it to Moon which is pure nonsense if you ask me!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #3677
handsome

All About Lily Chou-Chou
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #3678
Psychonaut

Ok so the story is not the most original (think Dances with Wolves or The Last Samurai), but it is told well enough.

The real star of this film is the superlative CGI and 3D effects. The planet of Pandora literally leaps off the screen in amazing detail, the plants, Blue people and the various lifeforms all fit together in a living ecology.

See it in 3D and on the biggest screen you can.

Superb, I loved it.

5/5
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #3679
Homer of Kittens

I also saw Avatar yesterday (not in 3D though ), and yes the story might be cliche, but man did it captivate me. The whole world of Pandora, the beauty of their world, and the very strong themes you are exposed to just resonated with me till the very end. A truly wonderful movie. Watch it not only for the CG, but for the whole package.

5/5

Firefox rules
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #3680
Pixiehunter

Stupid question: is Avatar scary ? From the discription I can't really deduce it...it can go both ways. Maybe I'll see it with some friends, but as I am a chicken first class, scary +3D means months of being afraid of the dark