You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #2461
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
That's a bad thing? I hate movies that make me cry.
Then you should definitely NOT watch the movie Joy Luck Club.

I don't cry but that movie really moved me
Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #2462
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw a Heath Ledger film called The Order the other day, with someone who'd seen it a LOT, lol...it was surreal, like having a live DVD commentary running while I was watching. The movie itself wasn't as bad as I've heard it was. There were enough surprises in the plot to keep me interested.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #2463
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
It's supposed to be this touching, sad love story..
Spoiler:
The hero gives up everything and don't even get the girl..
I think it's meant to make me cry, and that's why I made a point of me not doing it...

I haven't got a problem with movies that make me cry because it's sad or touching or beautiful, but I don't like movies that make me cry because it's disturbing and/or dark..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #2464
capsized.

I recently cried over E.T.

Again.

It's that damn "Ouch!" line isn't it? :/
Old 04-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #2465

Quote:
Stay away from Graves of the Fireflies then. I couldn't even see some parts of the film because I was crying so hard.

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet
Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #2466
capsized.

I remember having seen this a couple of years ago when I was on ambulance duty at the rescue station late at night. But for some reason, I don't remember much of it, maybe because I haven't seen it in its entirety because I was too tired and got into bed?

Another more draining (and equally beautiful) kind of movie I've seen in recent years is "Dancer In The Dark". The way it's filmed and that half of it is a musical makes it an equally exhausting and all the more emotional experience at the same time. Not a movie I'd like to watch over and over and over again, though.

It's only the last song if we let it be.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #2467
The Major Grubert.

Yeah, Grave of the Fireflys hit me right between the eyes.

Not a tear jerker, but I saw Inherit the Wind last night.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #2468
In an evening of July...

INLAND EMPIRE

Saw the German premiere yesterday - had to drive for several hours just to see it on a big screen. It was definitely worth it though, the most disturbing and creepy movie I've seen in the past few years, and hilarious, too. I can't stop thinking about the rabbits.

"If you want to see the best performance of 2006, check out Laura Dern's performance in Inland Empire."
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #2469
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
INLAND EMPIRE

Seen this? The article makes it sound as if the perception towards the film has been rather mixed so far..

But then, that would be no surprise, or would it..
Old 04-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #2470

The time has come for me to go and see it a second time.

So what do you guys (who have seen Inland Empire) thought about Von Glower, uh? I thought he was awesome, mysterious and threatening, kinda like... Von Glower. But then, so were all the other actors.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #2471
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Spider-man
and
Spider-man 2

The first one was okay, it didn't blow me away, but it was kinda entertaining.
I've seen a lot of the spider-man animated series which used to air on Fox Kids, so I'm quite familiar with the plots, so I tended to think it was extremely predictable. 7/10

The second movie though, is horrible. First of all he spends almost the whole movie without his mask, showing his face to everyone, and anyone.
The CG seems worse than the first, and the dialogue is just stupid. Extremely clichéd, and repetitive (who says "nevermore"?), with lods of moralistic "tips"..
I also think the directing is severely lacking, and the weight of the movie has been put in all the wrong places. (I'm also don't understand the point of the continuous revelations of his identity either, at the end, who doesn't know who he is?)

Ended up giving it 4/10, and I'm being kind.
It's not often I so strongly disagree with the popular opinion, I almost feel like I watched a completely different movie.

Spider-man 3 just seems stupid by now, after those trailers, I don't see any need to see the film. Even without a fore-hand knowledge of the black spider, the trailers make it extremely easy to guess the entire story. And interestingly enough, it looks like the cg (based on the trailers, especially the first, with the, ugh, American flag) is even worse than the two previous, which is kinda mind-boggling, since they've had the biggest budget ever on this new one.
Definitively not going to watch it on cinema..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #2472
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

It was awsome, really loved it. And people say its light on story? I thought it was quite nice if I say so myself.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-28-2007, 06:02 AM   #2473
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Seen this? The article makes it sound as if the perception towards the film has been rather mixed so far..

But then, that would be no surprise, or would it..
Yeah, I've read the article right before I saw the movie. Inland Empire got quite some coverage in German media, interviews, previews and whatnot. Thus I was puzzled by the fact that the movie theatre I was in wasn't even half full, and there were people leaving during the film. Others however stayed in the lobby for quite some time after the movie to discuss it. So yeah, I guess that's an indication for "mixed perception".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
So what do you guys (who have seen Inland Empire) thought about Von Glower, uh? I thought he was awesome, mysterious and threatening, kinda like... Von Glower. But then, so were all the other actors.
Everything and everyone was creepy and threatening in Inland Empire, Von Glower was no exception. I'd have to see the movie again to give my final opinion, though.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #2474
Live Slow Die Old

I rented Shortbus the other day. Lots of sex, not much plot. I'd give it a "meh".

Oh, and I saw The Lives of Others not too long ago. Now that is a good movie.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #2475
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Spider-man
and
Spider-man 2

The first one was okay, it didn't blow me away [...]

The second movie though, is horrible.
Beg to differ on #2.

I agree with #1 and was willing to give #2 a pass, but when I saw it on DVD, it blew my socks off. I'm totally looking foward to #3, having seen the trailers.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #2476
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Beg to differ on #2.

I agree with #1 and was willing to give #2 a pass, but when I saw it on DVD, it blew my socks off. I'm totally looking foward to #3, having seen the trailers.
I agree. #2 is definitely better than #1 in my view...a very entertaining comic book film. Some of the fight choreography was the most inventive I've seen in a movie of that type.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:03 AM   #2477
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw Disturbia yesterday. Was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, it was a nice change of pace from the usual gorefests we go to see. Oh, and I caught Lake Placid 2 on SciFi last night. What a horrible, unfunny mess that was. (loved the first one, though, so I might be a bit biased.)
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #2478

Right now I'm a movie watching kick, and I'm focusing on bad to mediocre movies.

The Two Towers (extended version) - this doesn't fit my current movie watching theme, I just felt like watching it. It's not as good as the first one, but I still enjoyed the epic scale of it. The CG Golem is annoying.

Timecop - kind of dumb.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - it's alright if you watch it as a tale about being excellent to one and other.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - horrible sequel.

The Day After Tomorrow - why can't people do even a little research on something they're making a movie about?

Deep Impact - out of the natural disaster movies I've seen, this stands out as the best. It's only an okay movie, but it was enjoyable to see things done differently.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - it wasn't bad, but it felt like a pointless sequel.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #2479
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Sunshine

All right, from reading comments and the likes, I realise I will be in the minority with my opinion; but I adored this movie. It was almost perfect. It was this great mish-mash of styles that really gave the movie its life. I felt it had elements of 2001 (the shots of the ICARUS II as a ship, and the scale of it all being compared to the humans on it frequently - as well as the general human insignificance so close to the sun...
Spoiler:
The one crewmember poofing out of existence just as he crosses the edge of the heatshield as the briefest puff of flame illustrated this well
), it had elements of Alien (a lot of the conversations were far more "down to earth" than in your average sci-fi movie), and of course, it had a stunning plot. I mean, come on! The sun is dying. What could be more rivetting?

Someone on the Sunshine fan forum was reminded of the Xeelee series of books by Stephen Baxter - I, too, felt reminded, though for different reasons. (Spoilers for the Xeelee books follow)
Spoiler:
Baxter writes like the movie is directed in its first half - about science applied on massive scales. It's true that the Xeelee sequence discusses the death of stars by creatures called 'photino birds', and as such there is certain semblance, but even though the death of the sun is not elaborated in Sunshine, I didn't have the impression it was (1) alien, (2) unknown to the crew, so I never thought to think of books like "Ring".

I'm quite spoilt in regards to stories, especially science fiction, and my imagination tends to take off when I watch a trailer for a movie like Sunshine. As such, I was doomed to be at least mildly disappointed.

Spoiler:
Specifically, the trailer mentions that there are five and not four crew members aboard the ship - I thought that perhaps, an alien race living around, on, or in the sun was trying to stop the mission as it would destroy them in the process. I hadn't expected another human being. In that, it would have been better if I hadn't gone off a tangent with my imagining, because quite simply, I find it great that the movie didn't involve anything alien.

But this movie has catapulted itself way up there with the likes of Alien... and this is where I'm going to get stoned.

I think a movie deserves more than just an idle pat on the back if a scene that involves no death, no sacrafice, and generally very little human interaction is so moving that I start to cry.
Spoiler:
Mercury passing the sun [link] did that to me.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #2480
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
(based on the trailers, especially the first, with the, ugh, American flag)
I don't much care for Spider-Man either, but do you really have to throw in that unnecessary US-bashing? What would you think if I made a show of restraining an impulse to vomit every time the Norwegian flag was displayed?