You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #1461
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That's great to hear Lucien!

I just saw The Rookie, American Psycho and Eyes of Laura Mars.

2/3 of those had Raul Julia in them, one of my favourite actors. Man, I wish that I could find The Burning Season somewhere. It's the best performance by Raul Julia in his career.

Christian Bale does an incredible role as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho but the movie jumps scenes way too fast, the book is like on a totally different level when compared to the movie.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 07-16-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #1462
is not wierd

Ah I love American Psycho. Love it.

I sometimes want to read the book, but it seems like it'd be really hard to get through.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #1463
gin soaked boy

The Descent

Hallelujah! A recent horror movie that is not:

a) Asian
b) a slasher
c) a horror comedy
d) a remake
e) crap.

It's about ladies ruthlessly kicking the shit out of a bunch of male white monster devolved human opressors burried deep beneath the surface. Bloody fun for everyone involved. Watch it in complete darkness, in this case it really makes the difference!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #1464
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Christian Bale does an incredible role as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho but the movie jumps scenes way too fast, the book is like on a totally different level when compared to the movie.
I'll never listen to "Hewey Lewis and the News" the same way again.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #1465
Super Moderator

It was inevitable.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #1466
Live Slow Die Old

Bloody Sunday
Good Night and Good Luck
Crumb

A bit of a mixed bag, thematically, but all interesting in their own respect.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:31 AM   #1467
is not wierd

Wimbledon
Hot Shots: Part Deux
Leaving Las Vegas

The only one I really care to talk about is Leaving Las Vegas. What a sucker-punch this movie gave me late last night around 2:00 AM EST. I had wanted to see it for several years but for various reasons had been unable to see it to its entirety, and seeing it all the way through now makes me realize I missed out on something special. Usually these endlessly depressing movies that tease with hints of optimism only to crush them (nevermind that by the end of the film there is a faint glimmer of hope that washes over you for some reason) really bother me because I feel as though the director is forcing me to feel the tragedy of the situations with heavy-handed scenes and all that. Leaving Las Vegas is the rare tragic movie that actually makes me feel something for the characters and moreover look inward and examine my thoughts of people, the future, the world. It is theoretically a rather simple dual-character study, with not much in the way of actual storyline and instead just a collage of scenes anchored by the characters and the actors so perfectly playing them; but the film becomes a lot more, because of the perfectly tragic, touching performances by the leads and because Figgis knows how to create atmosphere with the camera and with music. It is a movie of emotional ups-and-downs for the viewer, but because it is crafted so perfectly, it works. Nevermind that both main characters are horrible cliches of cinema, it's so easy to just brush that aside while you're watching it.

Sorry, I'm gushing. In any case, I liked the movie.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #1468

Slevin. Fun.

Plenty of fun movies, these last months, but no great movie. Sad.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #1469
Live Slow Die Old

The Devil and Daniel Johnston - Fabulous new doc about this singer/painter who is totally off his rocker and sees the devil everywhere. Very touching, at times quite funny and overall inceredibly well made movie. Worth hunting down (I doubt it's been given a wide release).
Old 07-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #1470
is not wierd

40-Year-Virgin
Wedding Crashers

I don't see the big argument people have about these two movies. They're both rated R but they're wildly different. But both were hilarious. Both had gross-out humor and both had dialogue-driven humor but in very different ratios. For me, they were totally different movies.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #1471
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Lucky Number Slevin and 16 Blocks, bot OK movies..
Old 07-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #1472

Clerks 2 - my favorite of Smith's movies so far. Made me laugh quite a bit, but the thoughtful moments sucked as always. Luckily that's only at the end.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #1473
is not wierd

I haven't liked Kevin Smith for a long while. I'll wait till video/cable.

Melinda and Melinda - Wow I can't believe I missed this when it came to theaters. I thought Match Point was Woody Allen's "return," so to say, but actually this movie was really good I thought. Maybe not on the same level as his older classics, but at least it shows that from Anything Else (which I was pleased with) and on he's been on an uphill climb from the trudge he's been coming out with since Sweet and Lowdown. Here's to Scoop keeping him afloat for another year!

In the Company of Men - Ah yes, Neil Labute has an extraordinary gift for making me hate being human. In this case, being a male. The film sometimes lags from the lack of visually interesting material (so many long immobile shots, however they are beautifully composed), but nevertheless the play of personalities keeps things going as well as the sadness that comes during the tragic and ultimately fake conversations that are held through most of the movie. I spent a lot fo time just trying to pick out what was genuine and what was just words, when it came to both male conversations and romantic ones. Only Neil Labute, only Neil Labute.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #1474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
I haven't liked Kevin Smith for a long while. I'll wait till video/cable.
He's not my favorite director either. I'd rate his movies from okay to not good. The humor and Jay are what I like about his movies, though, and Clerks 2 is mostly about those two. He seems to suck at creating a story, but thankfully the movie is mostly about random conversations. If you like his geek and sex humor, plus Jay, then I'd recommend seeing it.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #1475
is not wierd

He writes funny conversations, surely. But admittedly Jay and Silent Bob the characters got tired, for me. Smith's early work is still good though, and Chasing Amy is practically a nerdy pseudo-intellectual classic of the nineties. And I like Dogma, too.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 AM   #1476
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Manchurian Candidate
The 2004 remake. Yes, it's a remake. I still liked it.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #1477
is not wierd

The Manchurian Candidate was one of the better remakes I've seen. I lack the benefit of havign seen the original back during the Cold War, I bet it was scary as all get-out. So, given that and my inability to really feel much terror for the original, Jonathan Demme's tense camera-work and moodiness got to me in the theater. I like both.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:00 AM   #1478

Oldboy.

A movie I have mixed feelings about. It was great, but I was a little let down, probably because I was so hyped before I saw it. Hype is never a good thing.

I want to see it again, mostly to get a better grip on the great, but rather complex story.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #1479
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
Oldboy.

A movie I have mixed feelings about. It was great, but I was a little let down, probably because I was so hyped before I saw it. Hype is never a good thing.

I want to see it again, mostly to get a better grip on the great, but rather complex story.
you know the main bad guy, his right hand man's name is 'vanilla rice'... ahahahahaha

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 07-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #1480

Paris je t'aime.

20 odds 5 minute short movies which take place in Paris.

It's a mixed bag; two or three of the short movies are great, two or three just suck, and the rest is ok, from cute to interesting.

There's one from the Cohen Brothers, and of course this one is hilarious and breathtaking.