You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #4001
Stalker of Britain

So, I've just finished with one of the, by-far, best freeware/underground game I have ever played. Squinky's games, of course, are also wonderful, and TGTTPOACS has got to be my 2nd favorite game, along with one called, "Five Lethal Demons", about a computer game developer team. Anyway, these games are great, but I have found my love in...Nanobots.

I was blown away by this game. The graphics are nice, and it's quite a long game, but those aren't what makes it for me. It's the characters! I've never seen such detailed characters, with personalities and etc, in an underground game. I found myself loving all of the characters, at least the bots, which is actually a rare thing for me, since I tend to find a 'favorite' character, and just like him/her. No, I loved all of the bots, and the little arguments they had and discussions made it feel realistic. Best characterization I've seen in a 'freeware' game. I'm still stunned. Okay, sorry about that. End rant.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #4002
tsa
Playing character

Nano! Always good. I have to play that game!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #4003
Pixiehunter

Dear blog,
It is 10.10 AM here in Amsterdam. I guess the sun is shining, but I can't see that, because I am working in my little windowless cellar room in the VU medical center where I'm doing my internship.
I am currently trying to control my nerves, who are complaining terribly about my end presentation of this afternoon. I can't disagree with them: I hate presenting as well.
I am supposed to tell the whole department about the research I have been doing the last 4 and a half months. That is not the most nerve-breaking part. Well, it is in a way, because it means presenting, meaning talking in front of people.

The worst part is that there will be people listening who all are experts in the field, way much more than I am, and some of them are capable of reducing research to a heap of nothingness with only a few sentences.
So yeah, reason enough for my nerves to freak out. What if it turns out that the work I have done all these months has been utter crap? What if I have to redo everything in the last month?
You know blog, the more I write, the more my nerves calm down. To more normal presentation standards, that is, I'll never be able to present without my voice rising 3 octaves and my hands shaking like I have had too much caffeine for one hour, but at least now I am almost certain my audience will not eat me.
Only 4 hours to go...
Old 06-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #4004
kamikaze hummingbirds

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #4005
Stalker of Britain

Good luck, Luna!!

Well, it's like 7 in the morning here, and I'm still not sure why I'm up. I'm the type of teenager who doesn't wake up till 1 in the afternoon and stays up till 2 at night. I'm so tired!
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #4006
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Dear blog,
It is 10.10 AM here in Amsterdam. I guess the sun is shining, but I can't see that, because I am working in my little windowless cellar room in the VU medical center where I'm doing my internship.
I am currently trying to control my nerves, who are complaining terribly about my end presentation of this afternoon. I can't disagree with them: I hate presenting as well.
I am supposed to tell the whole department about the research I have been doing the last 4 and a half months. That is not the most nerve-breaking part. Well, it is in a way, because it means presenting, meaning talking in front of people.

The worst part is that there will be people listening who all are experts in the field, way much more than I am, and some of them are capable of reducing research to a heap of nothingness with only a few sentences.
So yeah, reason enough for my nerves to freak out. What if it turns out that the work I have done all these months has been utter crap? What if I have to redo everything in the last month?
You know blog, the more I write, the more my nerves calm down. To more normal presentation standards, that is, I'll never be able to present without my voice rising 3 octaves and my hands shaking like I have had too much caffeine for one hour, but at least now I am almost certain my audience will not eat me.
Only 4 hours to go...
And, how did it go? If your work of the last four months had been utter crap you would have heard about it long ago. Tell us how it went!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #4007
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
So, I've just finished with one of the, by-far, best freeware/underground game I have ever played. Squinky's games, of course, are also wonderful, and TGTTPOACS has got to be my 2nd favorite game, along with one called, "Five Lethal Demons", about a computer game developer team.
Well "Five Lethal Demons" has me in the credits (have you played the non-spoof original, Five Magical Amulets? My first credit) but if you're playing Squinky's games you should play " Des Reves Elastiques Avec Mille Insectes Nommes Georges" which has me as a character.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #4008
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
And, how did it go? If your work of the last four months had been utter crap you would have heard about it long ago. Tell us how it went!
It went rather....well
I am not that satisfied about having left out some things I really should have mentioned, but it could have been far worse.
And...my voice stayed in normal range! I guess I am getting used to presenting or something

Thanks for all the good luck wishes
Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #4009
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Well "Five Lethal Demons" has me in the credits (have you played the non-spoof original, Five Magical Amulets? My first credit) but if you're playing Squinky's games you should play " Des Reves Elastiques Avec Mille Insectes Nommes Georges" which has me as a character.
I haven't played that yet, but I'm going to. I wasn't too excited about that game, but the reason I loved the "Five Lethal Demons" was that it was making fun of making games. It was so new and refreshing. I've never heard of that game, and I've looked at her games! Is it in, err, English? lol

I've been a Beta Tester for 2 games now, which I'm prettyproud of. I wish I could get some more. It's such an adrenaline rush to see your own name in the credits. I've helped, a lot with the grammar, on "Murran Chronicles: Talons of Terror" and "Last Half of Darkness: Tomb of Zojir".

I'm kinda wishing I can get a shout-out in Jonathan's new game in the credits from Emma, or the new "Barrow Hill" game. I'm one of the biggest fans, I don't think anyone would argue, and I've become best friends with Emma Harry. (I like saying that, it makes me feel special!)
Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #4010
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Is it in, err, English? lol
Yeah, the gratuitous français in the title is just there for faux-pretentiousness.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #4011
Stalker of Britain

Really? I must have overlooked that game because I thought it was in another language. Thanks, Squinky! lol

Currently, I'm going through a lot of the freeware adventures I downloaded to my computer at school, since I have slow dial up at home, and I won't be able to download a picture, let alone a game! I'm playing "I Want to Die", and I'm intrigued, although I'm stuck at the freaking beggining, unable to find that stupid small rock. lol

EDIT: So, as everyone knows, I've always wanted to go to England. I've saved up $3,000, and I only wanted to spend that on things I can only buy over there, in Britain; like special Red Dwarf stuff, etc. But that's a bit unrealistic, so I'm sure I have to use some of that money; for lodging, air plane ticket, and getting around over there, to see my beloved Cornwall. Food? Who needs food! lol So I was wondering, how much do you think a trip over there would cost, but not a long trip. Maybe a month, etc. I'm just hacing trouble seeing if I have enough money, what all I'd need to buy, etc. Anyone who's travelled, who's everyone but me, if you could help me out, I'd really apreciate it.

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 06-22-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #4012
Fing-longer Inventor

Quote:
EDIT: So, as everyone knows, I've always wanted to go to England. I've saved up $3,000, and I only wanted to spend that on things I can only buy over there, in Britain; like special Red Dwarf stuff, etc. But that's a bit unrealistic, so I'm sure I have to use some of that money; for lodging, air plane ticket, and getting around over there, to see my beloved Cornwall. Food? Who needs food! lol So I was wondering, how much do you think a trip over there would cost, but not a long trip. Maybe a month, etc. I'm just hacing trouble seeing if I have enough money, what all I'd need to buy, etc. Anyone who's travelled, who's everyone but me, if you could help me out, I'd really apreciate it.
Well I havent travelled much but I do live near Cornwall and actually in Devon. You could stay in a Youth Hostel (they have one on dartmoor, which funnnily enough is near a blace called Bracken Tor ) which varies from place to place but costs about ÂŁ10 a night. As for food depends on what you want to eat, as there's plenty of cheap food at supermarkets so you could probs get by on about ÂŁ10 a day. Warm clothes I guess would help, and a waterproof maybe, its probably wetter than your used to over here. Getting trains and buses locally don't cost too much but getting up to places like london can be pricey. Oh and of course I have car (which hopefully I should be able to drive on my own next week) and will be living down in Cornwall from October so u could always just give me a shout As for plane fares and such I have no idea.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #4013
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
It went rather....well
I am not that satisfied about having left out some things I really should have mentioned, but it could have been far worse.
And...my voice stayed in normal range! I guess I am getting used to presenting or something

Thanks for all the good luck wishes
I think you are getting used to presenting. You may even like it in the future!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #4014
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostQuixote View Post
Well I havent travelled much but I do live near Cornwall and actually in Devon. You could stay in a Youth Hostel (they have one on dartmoor, which funnnily enough is near a blace called Bracken Tor ) which varies from place to place but costs about ÂŁ10 a night. As for food depends on what you want to eat, as there's plenty of cheap food at supermarkets so you could probs get by on about ÂŁ10 a day. Warm clothes I guess would help, and a waterproof maybe, its probably wetter than your used to over here. Getting trains and buses locally don't cost too much but getting up to places like london can be pricey. Oh and of course I have car (which hopefully I should be able to drive on my own next week) and will be living down in Cornwall from October so u could always just give me a shout As for plane fares and such I have no idea.
So ten pounds would be $20, and I wouldn't need to eat that much food. And thank you! I may take you up on that offer of the car, especially so I can finally meet you! I do want to see London and stuff, but I really want to see Cornwall and everything from Jonathan's games, so hopefully I'd stay somewhere over there. And if $3,000 would do it, I may just go over the summer, when I'm away from Louie anyway. Man, I'm getting kind of excited!

I've decided screw waiting!! As you guys know, I've been putting it off for fear of being away from Louie, etc, but I decided to just go for it. Only for about 2 weeks, since I can't afford more probably.

And I have you wonderful people to tahnk for giving me the courage I needed.

Hmm. Well, tonight I'm going out with the girls to see the new Transformers movie, which I'm excited about. It'll be fun to hang out with my friends, and go out.

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 06-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #4015
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelsie View Post
Trep
They're excited to see you because who you are, not what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa-sie View Post
Trep,

Listen to mommy.
You're right. Of course. I realized that those people I see in S.F., I am incredibly excited to see them because of who they are not what they do. So how it could be any different with me? Thanks, sweeties.

Dear Blog Thingy,

I finally, Finally, FINALLY am getting back to writing! Earlier today I was in a brown study over the lack of spontaneity in my life in the past few years. I've been so fixated on taking care of Nanay, obsessing over the freedom I gave up to be there for her, fighting with it, and feeling I had no sense of purpose other than taking care of an elderly person. I gathered dust.

I was listening to a Depeche Mode song and it suddenly created a scenario in my head, and that lead to a narrative, an idea to explore. It percolated in my head for weeks. I began writing tonight.

I look forward to the week in San Francisco. I'm bringing my copy of Henry & June, and my Moleskin journal for notes. The laptop stays at home (though if I had one I would have take a netbook). I just need to experience again to get new ideas for stories.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 AM   #4016
Fing-longer Inventor

Quote:
Well, tonight I'm going out with the girls to see the new Transformers movie, which I'm excited about. It'll be fun to hang out with my friends, and go out.
Dang I really want to go see that movie, but it was a choice between going to see that and getting the new ghostbusters game:s I hope its good, I'm starting to regret choosing Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd over Megan Fox now, ahh Megan
Old 06-24-2009, 02:45 AM   #4017

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Go you Fantasysci5! yeah there is no point in waiting! it can only "stop you from doing all the things in life. You'd like to"

*had to quote the smiths even if its about shyness though *

It will be a great important experience to get to realise some of your dreams/goals.
Plus it will be over before you know it, and you will be back with Louie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Dear Blog Thingy,

I finally, Finally, FINALLY am getting back to writing! Earlier today I was in a brown study over the lack of spontaneity in my life in the past few years. I've been so fixated on taking care of Nanay, obsessing over the freedom I gave up to be there for her, fighting with it, and feeling I had no sense of purpose other than taking care of an elderly person. I gathered dust.

I was listening to a Depeche Mode song and it suddenly created a scenario in my head, and that lead to a narrative, an idea to explore. It percolated in my head for weeks. I began writing tonight.
That sounds really great! it encourages a lot when we find back to something we like to do and master. It gives us purpose and strength.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #4018
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostQuixote View Post
Dang I really want to go see that movie, but it was a choice between going to see that and getting the new ghostbusters game:s I hope its good, I'm starting to regret choosing Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd over Megan Fox now, ahh Megan
It was pretty bad, I tell you. Nothing like the first movie.

And guess what guys? After all of that worrying about Louie and stuff, he's said he'll come with me! Money will be a bit of a problem, but hopefully, we can work it out. I love him.

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 06-24-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #4019
Stalker of Britain

So much planning!! I'm so full of anticipation and stress, but I'm loving (almost) every minute of it. Louie said he'd go with him, since he was worried about me travelling alone, bless 'em. He's so sweet, I love him for doing this for me. Money's going to be a little tight, so I'm helping to pay part of his way.

Right now, I'm looking online for all those little, and big, expenses for my England trip, which I'm going to be taking next May for 2 weeks! I'm finally doing it, and it feels so wonderful.

Now, I've never travelled before, so I'm at a bit of a loss for some of this, so if any of you have recommendations or helpful ideas, please don't hesitate to tell me.

I've found a website on Britrail, which is an unlimited railway pass for only tourists for around England, which looks perfect. I think I can get on any train. I'm really wanting to stay around Cornwall, where some of Jonathan Boakes' games were created. I've been looking into Bed & Breakfasts, but are looking for something cheap. And I get confused when looking at the tariffs, because the price is for a room with a double bed, so they expect I might be sharing the room/bed with Louie. So is the price they listed for both of us to pay separately, or do we both only have to pay that price listed? Aaah so confusing!!!

Not sure about plane tickets, food (we're only going to eat out a few times, the rest Bed and Breakfasts and getting stuff from the grocery store), and bus tickets, but hopefully I can afford these.

And speaking of the man, I'm going to be able to actually meet Jonathan Boakes, Emma Harry, Matt Clark, and our very own, LQ!!! I'm so excited.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #4020
Lazy Bee

Quote:
So much planning!! I'm so full of anticipation and stress, but I'm loving (almost) every minute of it.
I always find the planning is half the fun of the trip. Looking forward to it and checking out each little detail.

Quote:
Now, I've never travelled before, so I'm at a bit of a loss for some of this, so if any of you have recommendations or helpful ideas, please don't hesitate to tell me.
I'd gladly help you out if I can when things come up.

Quote:
And I get confused when looking at the tariffs, because the price is for a room with a double bed, so they expect I might be sharing the room/bed with Louie. So is the price they listed for both of us to pay separately, or do we both only have to pay that price listed? Aaah so confusing!!!
You pay the price for the room. And you stay two persons (you and Louie) in the room. Mind you, double beds in the UK can be smaller than the US versions IIRC. Just makes it even cozier, don't you think!

Quote:
Not sure about plane tickets, food (we're only going to eat out a few times, the rest Bed and Breakfasts and getting stuff from the grocery store), and bus tickets, but hopefully I can afford these.
There are plenty of websites where you can buy tickets online. That's where you get the lowest prices.

Good luck with your trip Fantasy!