You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #3001
tsa
Playing character

I like 'ovarcular fortitude' better.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #3002
tsa
Playing character

This morning I went to the Aamsveen to watch the sun rise in a white white world. It was pretty cold (-12 C) but it was worth it! The Aamsveen is a nature reserve southwest of Enschede, where trees and small moors (for want of a better word) are scattered over the area. I just learned that in English 'veen' is called ' bog.' A picture of what was there:

If you click on the picture you'll find more.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #3003
Lazy Bee

That's beautiful!
I like those cold mornings when the air is crisp and the snow is creaking.
I bet the Dutch go ice skating now when there most likely is ice on the canals.

The cold period we had seems to be over. The snow has melted and everything is turning grey again. *sad face*
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #3004
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I bet the Dutch go ice skating now when there most likely is ice on the canals.
You bet! Everybody and his dog is skating now. We've had championships today and yesterday too. There was an item on TV about skating lessons for immigrants today too. Here are a LOT of pictures taken on the ice during the last three days.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #3005

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Here we are at -8°C... The photos you linked, tsa, froze me! I need another blanket!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #3006
tsa
Playing character

Our weatherlady just told us that the fun is over after the weekend. The temperature tonight will be -12, and then it will rise to fast in the coming week. Pity, I like this weather.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #3007
Lazy Bee

Today we finally did something spectacular (at least in my point of view) we've been dreaming about for quite some time.
We booked an apartment on Mauritius for next Christmas and New Year! Yes, you have to book this early in order to get a good price and the apartment of your choice.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #3008
Stalker of Britain

Hey all!! You're freezing me just looking at that picture and hearing how cold it is where you all are!!!! lol

TOMORROW I GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND SEE MY BABY!!!!!!! lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #3009
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
We booked an apartment on Mauritius for next Christmas and New Year!
But... Jenela, there's no snow there! Never! How can you have Christmas without snow?

But seriously: cool! I wish I could join you guys.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #3010
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Hey all!! You're freezing me just looking at that picture and hearing how cold it is where you all are!!!! lol

TOMORROW I GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND SEE MY BABY!!!!!!! lol
It's cold but very beautiful weather Fantasysie! And have fun tomorrow! Keep coming back please!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #3011
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Hello all. Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

Katie, no I don't have a Facebook page. I got annoyed with sites like MySpace and Facebook awhile ago, because I'm too lazy to keep them updated.

tsa, I hope you find something soon.

We are getting up to almost nine inches of snow in the past few days once it's all done. But tomorrow, maybe another inch or two. Fun to look at, but not so much fun to drive in.

The temperature is supposed to drop into the single digits next week. They are predicting -10 below by next Thursday in our parts. *shiver*

I've been renting a lot of movies, and still in hibernation mode. I've been enjoying more Nancy Drew games. I hope to finish all of them by the end of 2009. I think they just came out with a new one actually, recently. And of course Still Life 2. I can't wait to play that one.

In other news, finally started working on my story. Even if it takes me another ten years to finish it, I hope to finish it one day.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #3012
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
I got annoyed with sites like MySpace and Facebook awhile ago, because I'm too lazy to keep them updated.
I almost never update my Facebook page. Stuff just sort of... grows on it. Like mould and bacteria. Someday, maybe it'll even have intelligent life. Who knows?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #3013
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I almost never update my Facebook page. Stuff just sort of... grows on it. Like mould and bacteria. Someday, maybe it'll even have intelligent life. Who knows?

I finally got rid of my MySpace page last year, and I had a Facebook page for a very short time. I enjoyed MySpace for awhile, but the more loaded with stuff my page got, the slower it got, on top of MySpace's constant technical glitches. Just got burnt out on it I guess.

Hmmm, I wonder if MySpace has an Adventure Gamer page...

Hope you've been feeling better. Last I checked, you still had the sniffles.

Anyway, I'm off to play Nancy Drew The Old Clock Tower. Farewell for now.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #3014
Freeware Co-ordinator

It has not been a good week.

Monday night I'm out as usual (I ring bells and then go to the pub with the other ringers afterwards) when I get a call from my wife. One of her brothers has been taken seriously ill and been rushed up to hospital. Nothing I can do to help but she heads up there and waits until a doctor is able to tell her how he is. As my home town is having a mini flu epidemic at the moment this means she doesn't get home until 3:30am with the news he is "stabilised".

The brother in question lived with, and was the main carer for, her mother (solely on grounds of her age). She is also under the weather and when my wife visits Wednesday morning she insists on calling her GP out who diagnoses Bronchitis and prescribes antibiotics. My wife stays over Wednesday night but sleeps poorly (her brother's sleeping arrangements are less than ideal) so, having checked her mother is OK and has what she needs to hand she comes home to catch some sleep and gather items to make her Thursday night stop over more comfortable.

Thursday night I see her for 30 minutes from work and put her in a taxi over at 8:15. At 8:20 I receive a very distressed phone call. Her mother won't ever need someone to stay over with her again. I rush straight over and am with her as we deal with the procedures UK law requires. An unexpected death at home in the UK requires the following. First a doctor has to certify the death. They then call in the police who have to satisfy themselves there is no evidence of foul play. When they are happy the coroner's office is called to collect the body. This takes up to midnight.

I've spent most of the last two days dealing with the phone calls resulting from this. I took control of the home phone and her mobile and made sure my wife only took the phone calls where only she could do it (which was virtually none as her police statement at the scene supplied me with most of the details she knew that I didn't) This included me making the calls to her sister and other brother, a process that was a bit like s twisted practical joke (with the seriously ill brother they expected bad news but the news I had felt like I was saying "Ha! Fooled you!") Fortunately the GP visit so close to the end has saved the need for a post mortem (which could have been as late as Monday)

Today my wife has actually eaten (though not a lot) and she seems generally better. The next few weeks are going to be hard though, with a lot of stuff to sort out.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #3015
Super Moderator

So sorry about your mom-in-law. That sounds like a tough time to go through and I hope everything gets better.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #3016
Creepy Father Figure

So sorry to hear of your family's loss step. Having lost my mother, step father, and grandmother within a years span I can totally understand the situation.
Your wife is very lucky to have you running interference for her. I was at my wits end and have a bad habit of holding people off at arms length when dealing with things. Luckily Mrs.R knows when to step in and hold me off when people are just doing their job( Bad temper sometimes rears it's ugly head).
Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #3017
tsa
Playing character

I'm so sorry to hear that Step. I wish you strength in these difficult days.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #3018
Stalker of Britain

I'm so sorry, step. I hope that you two have the strength to get through this.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #3019
Lazy Bee

Step
I'm so sorry for your and Mrs Urhan's loss.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #3020

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I have to repeat what the other said. I'm extremely sorry and I hope that you and, particularly, your wife will find the strength to get through this harsh moment.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box