You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #61

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Fantasy, why don't your write under spoiler tags the actions you didn't take? They can't be too many, since your score is pretty high. Then I can say to you if they can be post-poned to Day 2 or the like. As I wrote in my previous post, when I was unsure about a particular action, I listed it as necessary, but I may be wrong and I'll be glad to look into them for you
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #62

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

OK, I won't be able to finish the first segment completely today, but here are some first impressions and thoughts:

- I was just reminded of how much I love this game; from its perfect plot to the small chime-sound you hear when points are scored.
- Those of you that enjoyed the music in the Napoleon House, might want to check out this song by Vivaldi, especially the part starting at 7:48...
- The voice acting is just great. Sierra has come a long way since King's Quest 5.
- The credit roll of the CD version is really impressive. The music heard is one of the game's better pieces, and the images shown are really intriguing. Does anyone know where these are from?
- Wow, was this game released in 1993?!
- The humor is excellent, and is delivered superbly by the actors. Even before getting to make my first mouse-clicks, I already laughed a couple of times. The contrast it provides with the game's dark theme also works really well.
- Oh, and by the way: When clicking the Use-icon on Grace, Tim Curry's voice reminds me of how he voices Gabriel in GK3.

Last edited by Cellardoor; 01-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #63
Stalker of Britain

Cellardoor-Gosh, am I the only one who LIKED the voice acting in KQ5?! lol And I didn't know Tim Curry voiced Gabriel in Gk3. I haven't played it, but I have played the 2nd one, and since he gave up the role, I didn't think he came back!

Hello Andrea! lol Thanks for helping me see if I need to replay the first chapter again or not. I did not do these actions;
Spoiler:
Read Heinz Ritter Book 1
Read Snake Book 1
Get gift certificate* 1
Ask Gran about Philip, Margaret, Harrison and Heinz(*) 4=I asked about the first three, but didn't see a way to ask about Heinz
Get sketchbook 1
Read sketchbook* (INV) 1
Open clock* 5
Get photo in clock* 1
Get letter in clock* 1
Read letter (INV)* 1
Ask Frick About Mosely 2
Use magnifying glass on grass 1
Use tweezers to get scale 2
Use sketchbook on sand 2
Get clay* 1
Look at sign at Voodoo Shop* 1
Show murder photo at Willy* 2

That's sad, isn't it? How much I missed. lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #64

Fantasy, all these actions can be done in the following days, so you don't have to replay the entire chapter. One thing though.

Spoiler:
If you get the envelope from the desk sergeant Frick, the one containing the photos, you must have asked him about Mosely. So, even if you didn't realize getting them, you have the 2 correspondent points. I don't see in your list this action, so I'm assuming that you indeed get the envelope, also 'cause I really think that the envelope is an absolute prerequisite for finishing the chapter

Tonight I'm going out, tomorrow morning (Italy time), if everyone is finished with the first day, I will post the info about Day 2!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #65
Stalker of Britain

Thank you Andrea! I was afraid I'd have to replay the whole chapter, but it is short enough. lol Thank you so much for letting me know.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #66

Spoiler for help on day 1:

Spoiler:
Does anyone have an idea how to open that clock in grandma's house?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #67
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by getawayblues View Post
Spoiler for help on day 1:

Spoiler:
Does anyone have an idea how to open that clock in grandma's house?
Spoiler:
Gabriel's Father's painting, the German poetry book and the German-English dictionary should give you the clues you need.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #68
Stalker of Britain

I've been playing a little bit ahead, but only to Day 2. The game is addictive once you get started. lol

I get the feeling that
Spoiler:
Ms. Gedde is the woman in the dreams. Gabriel is so drawn to her, she must have a connection with the case. She's so "dark and mysterious", and Gabriel always seems to be attracted to the bad guy, like Van Glower in the 2nd game. This is just my thoughts, I haven't played this game before.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #69
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I get the feeling that
Spoiler:
Ms. Gedde is the woman in the dreams. Gabriel is so drawn to her, she must have a connection with the case. She's so "dark and mysterious", and Gabriel always seems to be attracted to the bad guy, like Van Glower in the 2nd game. This is just my thoughts, I haven't played this game before.
You're 'sort of' close. You're on the right track anyway. Keep up these deductions and you could be a great detective.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #70
Dreamfall Soon!

Darn...wish I could play. I only have the game on floppy disks from the original. I played it several times after it came out but it has been years and years (obviously). I'm guessing there is no place to legally purchase and download it and if I tried to order it I'd be too far behind. Oh well, I'll read along since I remember a lot of it (even after all these years -- that's how good it is) and join you all for Gabriel Knight 2!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #71

DAY 2

A mask I wore as I approached, I was what I am not.
And thought the pattern was unclear, its meaning could be bought

Here we go! Later I'll post my brief introduction to the chapter at hand! In the meantime, play along!

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 01-12-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #72
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor View Post
- Those of you that enjoyed the music in the Napoleon House, might want to check out this song by Vivaldi, especially the part starting at 7:48
What a masterpiece!

Starting the day 2 already!

There's something Grace complaints when Gabriel climb up the ladder that I don't really understand. How could gabriel look down grace's skirt, if he is above her? lol.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #73

Almost finished with Day 1. Should be able to complete Day 1 tonight to start Day 2 tomorrow....

More thoughts later.

-ozy
Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #74

In Detail: Police Station

Even if this may not seem the case on a first look, there are actually plenty of funny things to do while at the police station.

Let's start with Desk Sergeant Frick: have you showed him the crime scene photo? And Mosely's photo? And what about Franks? Have you tried to use all your icons on her? You can elicit different responses if you use the icons on her from inside Mosely's office, through the mirror.

Then, there are many different paths you can try on Day 2. For example:

Spoiler:
Have you tried to set the temperature gauge below 60? And why don't you try to don't get the badge and continue asking Mosely for coffee?

In Detail - Part Two: Gedde's Mansion

Spoiler:
If you save Lake Pontchartrain as the last topic, you can flirt with Malia repeatedly

Have a good look around. What a nice room, eh? Have you tried to look at fire? At the paintings? At the gorgeous carpet? At the statue? At the bookshelves? At the little table by the fire and the book on it? Have you tried to use all your icons on Malia, especially the talk one - exclamation point - until she has nothing more to say? You can even show Malia the badge, the voodoo victim photo and, generally speaking, every item in your inventory.

Real-Life Locations: The French Quarter

The French Quarter is New Orleans' oldest neighborhood, dating back to the foundation of the city in 1718. Unlike the name may suggest, the present-day architecture stems from the Spanish rulers of the region, since the Great Fire of 1788 destroyed what the French had originally built. Notable landmarks include Jackson Square (more on this on later Days), St. Louis Cathedral and Bourbon Street, which, as I said in the beginning, is the street where Gabriel has his bookshop. Even the Napoleon House is a real building in the quarter, but it is more famours for its classic music and exquisite cuisine than for the jazz ambiance that's depicted in the game.

Of course, voodoo is really important in the everyday life of the French Quarter, both as a genuine practice and as a tourist attraction. In the hearth of the Quarter, there is indeed a museum dedicated to voodoo history and lore, and they even organize, like Dr. John says, walking tours to St. Louis' Cemetery #1. The streets are also full of little shops that sell gris-gris and other voodoo trappings: this photo gallery shows two of these shops, and I really think that the gallery generally captures the feeling of Sins of the Fathers pretty well. This other photo is another favorite of mine, and the sign 'Come On In And Shop For A Spell' is the work of a marketing genius And if you look at a shop's interior, doesn't it look almost completely like Dixieland Drug Store?

Day 2 in the novel

On the left side of the room was a long table draped in black cloth. Both its surface and the wall above it were inundated with small, garish objects and their accompanying handwritten placards. The whole mess looked like a garage sale from hell. There were a number of small idols, wooden and hand-painted. One of the figures on the table was horned, but it looked more like an African deity than a Christian devil. There was a worn, stained kerchief that proclaimed itself as having belonged to Marie Laveau, a braided leather whip coiled and greased, and a Voodoo doll made from black material and wearing scraps of what had once been bright calicos.

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 42

As a side note, I think I'll post Day 3 on late Monday, so everyone who's still behind can catch up with us during the week-end.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #75
Random

Ohh interesting real-life informations about the French Quarter, Andrea. Awesome photos. I would love to visit that place someday, might be so much fun wander by streets places you've already been ingame!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #76
M-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
What a masterpiece!

Starting the day 2 already!

There's something Grace complaints when Gabriel climb up the ladder that I don't really understand. How could gabriel look down grace's skirt, if he is above her? lol.
She said: "...look down my shirt". So that means from the top.

I still didn't play further, but I hope I can finish Day 1 today, so I can start Day 2 tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #77
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-E View Post
She said: "...look down my shirt". So that means from the top.

I still didn't play further, but I hope I can finish Day 1 today, so I can start Day 2 tomorrow.
Ohhhh, hahahaha. I'm sorry, I was only paying attention to the subtitles and I've read "skirt". That's right then, my fault!

Last edited by Denaron; 01-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #78

So I arrived at day 2 with 54 points, though I think I got a few during the day 2 introduction.
It feels like I may not have done everything at the police station and the crime scene yet...

When I played this game 14 years ago(?), I got stuck on day one. I restarted at least 4 times and must have tried every possible combination numerous times. Only when I found a hintfile 2 years later I could get past that same point that M-E mentioned. That why I clearly remember all the actions up to that point, but after that...

Indeed the game sets of a bit slow, but there's enough intrigue already to make it captivating, I think. Personally I don't care much for Gabriel's voicing but the others, especially Grace and the narrator, are great.
But what I remembered most was the music. Wonderful what was done with the limitations of the time.
The midi sounds a bit silly on my computer (is that different with different soundcards?) but the music still shines through.
I'm recording it while playing so I can listen to it without the game.

BTW I didn't know the music in Napoleon House wasn't original. Is Vivaldi mentioned in the credits somewhere?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #79

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Gosh, am I the only one who LIKED the voice acting in KQ5?! lol
To be fair, I don't think KQ5's voice acting is bad either. It just was done somewhat unprofessionally, I think. I even thought some actors were very adequate for their roles, such as Graham. Even Cedric's voice is quite good, even though that owl is a nuisance! Anyway, what I meant to say was that GK1's voice acting was done very professionally, and that Sierra had come a long way since their first try with voiced games. I didn't mean to criticize any other game in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
BTW I didn't know the music in Napoleon House wasn't original. Is Vivaldi mentioned in the credits somewhere?
I don't believe he is mentioned in the actual credit roll, but he is mentioned in the credits that can read by clicking on the question mark in the options menu.

I'll finish my playthrough of the first and day tomorrow, and will carry on with day two afterwards. I'll be posting my comments then.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #80

Yikes! I'm still on day 1. I got hung up by not finding the sketch book early on and needed a hint as to where it was. Otherwise, I'm going right along. However, I see that there were a few things I missed at the police station. I remember them now from a previous play many years ago.

There is so much detail to this game. And almost everything elicits a response. I love Gabriel's attitude.

Will complete Day 1 today and hopefully Day 2 as well. (Might not complete day 2 till tomorrow.)