You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #361

I really enjoyed GK1 overall, looking forward a lot to playing GK2. Here's hoping that GoG releases it soon.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #362
Failed Birthday Elf

Just wondering...

Anyone for whom this was a first playthrough, or only first played this game within the last couple of years, how did you find the graphics? Personally they are no bar at all for me, but as I first played it in the 90's just wondering if anyone who has come along "new" to the game found them a problem?

Also @Bandersnatch - great username!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #363

I just finished the game with 339 points.

Well... this is the third time i play gabriel knight and I still love it. Day 10 is a great conclusion. It has some fun puzzles (like summoning dr john) and a great ending.

Overall sins of the fathers is a masterpiece. Like Andrea said the game doesn't want to be an epic, like the other 2. This is the start of Gabriel's path as a Schattenjager and I don't think Jane could have done much better with the story.

Thank you Andrea for your insights on the game, which made me replay it again. A lot of thanks to all you guys too because playing a game like this is a lot funnier than playing alone and made me remembers the old times, when I used to play classics like Simon the Sorcerer with my friends over the phone.

Looking forward to GK2's playthrough
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #364
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Just wondering...

Anyone for whom this was a first playthrough, or only first played this game within the last couple of years, how did you find the graphics? Personally they are no bar at all for me, but as I first played it in the 90's just wondering if anyone who has come along "new" to the game found them a problem.
This was my first time playing it. At first, the very pixulated scenes put me off, but I didn't mind it so much after I saw that the conversation close ups were more detailed.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #365

I think the graphics were brilliant for their time and still are brilliant today. Updated graphics don't necessarily equal better atmosphere. The atmosphere created by the graphics in the voodoo curio shop and St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 are especially beautiful. I truly felt like I was in New Orleans.

However, the imagery of Schloss Ritter in GK1 is nowhere near as fulfilling as the same castle is in GK2. While GK1 is excellent at making the player feel like he/she in New Orleans, GK2 does exceptionally well at making the player feel like he/she is in Bavaria.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #366

GK1 is the greatest adventure game ever made. I love the sequels, but the first one is just so atmospheric and engrossing. Every scene is filled with some kind of dread.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #367
M-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
However, the imagery of Schloss Ritter in GK1 is nowhere near as fulfilling as the same castle is in GK2. While GK1 is excellent at making the player feel like he/she in New Orleans, GK2 does exceptionally well at making the player feel like he/she is in Bavaria.
Really? Then I already think I'm going to love GK2 so much more. Schloss Ritter was actually my favorite location in the game, just because I love old castles and their mysteries.

I still need to complete Day 10, I think I will do that tomorrow, so I can continue with GK2 as well. Is it downloadable somewhere? (Not on Steam and GoG )
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #368

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Hey guys, I opened up a new thread for the GK2 playthrough but, of course, if someone has still to say something about the wonderful Sins of the Fathers this is the right place to do so! And, after then, we can safely start our GK2 playthrough!

Yay
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #369
Stalker of Britain

I was in French today, and we were discussing about Louisiana. And we started talking about Voodoo, and all types of stuff that was in GK1. lol And I actually knew what they were talking about. We even mentioned the Voodoo Museum, etc.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #370

Forgive me if this is in the forums already, but GOG is going to have an interview with Jane Jensen about the GK games, etc., and they are offering people a chance to submit a question to her. If your question is chosen, you win the GOG game of your choice.

http://www.gog.com/news/ask_a_develo...gabriel_knight

(I'll post this in the discount thread, too - we don't really have a contest thread.)