You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #81
Pixiehunter

Whoah what a speedrun through the game! I have not even started day 1 and day 2 has already begun here.

Any ideas as to when we will start with day 3? I already played the game so it shouldn't take too long to catch up, but I do prefer to actually play the first 2 days instead of reverting to a save of my previous playthrough...
Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #82

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I posted Day 1 and Day 2 so close only because I thought the week-end could be a good time for people to play while I, on the other hand, I will be extremely busy until Monday. Anyway, to answer your question, Luna, I will probably post Day 3 late Monday or early Tuesday, so there's plenty of time to discuss and catch up
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #83
Random

I've just finished Day 2, with 98 score points. I've spent about 2 hours to remember how to solve the clock puzzle, thanks o gazzoid who gave some clues.

I laughed out loud when Gabriel shows the murder photo to Grace. I wonder how Gabriel's grandma would react to it, hehehe.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-09-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #84
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymanhattan View Post
You will not be disappointed. The voicework on this game is phenomenal. ...
Yeah, I know . The first time around I was totally bewitched by GK. Couldn't stop playing it only to find out that the game let me go all the way to day six without doing something in the day one. If I hadn't look into the UHS hint file I would have been stuck for months with that bug so in frustration I quitted The Sins of the Fathers.

Regardless of this sad experience I still think it is one of the best adventures ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Whoah what a speedrun through the game!
You can't be more true!
I was hoping for something slower, but the most active participants of this playthrough are just too damn fast for me . Seems like some people hadn't played an adventure game in a long time (or they are specially keen on Gabriel) so when this "ultraspeedrunthrough" :p started they just couldn't be stopped
Of course, things can always turn like in that old fable about hare and tortoise .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
I have not even started day 1 and day 2 has already begun here.
Me too. When I installed the game via Enrico Rolfi's (Endroz's) installer (SetupGKXP103.exe), and doubleclicked the program's desktop shortcut it started rolling and after a few seconds, when the screen resolution changed, the message popped up:

Application Error

SIERRAW caused a General Protection Fault in module SCIDLL.DLL at 0001:40E3.
Choose close. SIERRAW will close.

I thought it had something to do with XP, so I did the same thing on my old Win 98 PC, but the same error occurred.

Finally I installed GK 1 with the wonderful DOSBox installer recommended by Andrea. Thanks a million, Collector, your little program works like a charm!

And so here I am with GK 1 on my laptop, but unfortunately lacking time to seriously play this beautiful game.

Good luck to all of you who do play, and many thanks to Andrea for all the advice regarding game install, and his superb act as a game master .
I may not be posting a lot, but I'll do my best to follow the action by reading the comments.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #85

People, don't forget to look at the bear rug at the Gedde's mansion, as well as climb the ladder in the bookstore. Nice couple of jokes in there.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #86

Whoa, this is going too fast... (finished day 1 but haven't started day 2 yet)
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #87

Don't worry people. As I stated before, I rushed Day 2 only because I have a very busy week-end. Now you will have two full days (tomorrow and Monday) to catch up
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #88

I have just begun Day Two. My impressions on the game so far, which I played like 5 times I think, are as follows.

- the organisation of the conversation tree is exemplary - new topics emerge gradually, after being mentioned by characters,
- my favourite piece of music - the one from the cementary.
- the voice of Malia Gedde - reminds me of the narrator too much, I would prefer more delicate voice I guess.
- the locations in the game amazingly resemble real NO - the thread provided by Andrea is amazing. I love movies/books featuring New Orleans - like Dracula 2000 or Grisham books. This is on the account of GK1 of course
Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #89

I think my fascination with New Orleans predates my experience of Gabriel Knight by exactly three months. I started to adore the city after reading Interview with the Vampire, and I played The Beast Within a short time later that summer

Old 01-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #90
Stalker of Britain

I'm a horrible person. I get even a fraction stuck, and I look up the answer..
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #91

Wow, this is going fast. I won't be able to keep up at this pace.

Played for an hour and a half on Saturday morning, then for another half hour in the afternoon and finished day one with 65 points.

When I first played this game, the opening sequence at the shop had me confused for a long time because I always thought Grace saying the "It lives, I see" line was part of the phone conversation, and "Lolita" was some kind of pseudonym for Gabriel and the person calling needed his help in a Ghostbusters-style situation.

I had so much trouble with the mime; I always lost him! After playing the game a few times this sequence was no longer a problem, so I guess it has just been too long.

First time I ever saw the beignet guy appear at the police station on day one. Now it makes more sense that Gabe recognizes him later on.

Came online and noticed people already started day two, so I continued playing for an extra 45 minutes or so. I didn't take the time examining everything in the background as I did during day one out of fear I'd get too far behind. Finished day two with 101 points.

I used to find listening to Dr John so interesting, but now it's become boring. His voice seems to change as well with some lines, like they were recorded in a different session.

I just love Malia's voice. It's funny, because doesn't Leilani Jones also do the voice of the voodoo lady in Monkey Island? I also used to think Malia looked like Mariah Carey.

And of course who doesn't get a kick out of Tim Curry's butler cameo! Before playing this game I'd only seen him in the "Clue" movie and "Home Alone 2". That's why I totally didn't recognize Gabe's voice.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #92

How can I say that there's no reason to fear to be left behind?

Let's try this way: we won't proceed until everyone has finished Day 2. Are we OK now?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Yeah, I know . The first time around I was totally bewitched by GK. Couldn't stop playing it only to find out that the game let me go all the way to day six without doing something in the day one. If I hadn't look into the UHS hint file I would have been stuck for months with that bug so in frustration I quitted The Sins of the Fathers.
Could you reveil what it is that will lead to a dead end on day six when not done on day 1? I think I prefer that spoiler to finding it out myself.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #94
The Quiet One

Only a tad off-topic, but I've discovered that Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers loads up with the latest daily snapshot of ScummVM! It's incredibly buggy though, but at least it's a good sign that the game will be supported in the near future.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #95

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Let's try this way: we won't proceed until everyone has finished Day 2. Are we OK now?
While I too would like to see a slightly slower pace, I also think it is a good idea to set a certain schedule like you've been doing so far. I could rush through the game and finish each in-game day quickly, but I would also like to take it slowly and enjoy myself while sharing thoughts and opinions in this thread.

Without any kind of schedule, on the other hand, we might end up moving very slowly or with everyone at different paces. Anyway, just a thought. I'm fine with either option.

I'll be back later today with my opinions on day on and two.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #96
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
Could you reveil what it is that will lead to a dead end on day six when not done on day 1? I think I prefer that spoiler to finding it out myself.

Of course, here it is (as I remember it):
Spoiler:
If you don't find a strange scale at the site of the first murder (by the Lake Pontchartrain) you won't have the dialogue option for asking the lady I Forgot Her Name (the one that has a large collection of reptiles or a single snake in a cage, I don't remember) about something important, and without that you won't be able to proceed further.
So make sure you find and take that damn scale on time.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
Before playing this game I'd only seen him in the "Clue" movie and "Home Alone 2". That's why I totally didn't recognize Gabe's voice.
You've never never seen the cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #98

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Funny story about the word Schattenjäger:

Spoiler:
The word schatten in Dutch means 'treasures', while the Dutch word jager, like the German Jäger, means 'hunter'. So, when I first played GK1 and the word Schattenjäger came up, I figured it meant 'Treasure Hunter', and that the game would be about finding some lost treasure. Of course, later on my prediction turned out to be both false and, in a way, true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
the organisation of the conversation tree is exemplary - new topics emerge gradually, after being mentioned by characters,
Yeah, I love it too, though I don't like how formal the interrogation-style dialogue sometimes becomes. Because you just go through a long list of questions, the interaction doesn't always feel genuine. Also, I don't really like the fact that half of the time most characters don't have anything to say about half of the subjects.

Still, the Detective-atmosphere it conveys suits the game really well, and it wouldn't be GK1 without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I think my fascination with New Orleans predates my experience of Gabriel Knight by exactly three months.
Perhaps this question was raised before, but did you ever visit New Orleans, Andrea?

For that matter: Did any of the other participants visit the city, by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I'm a horrible person. I get even a fraction stuck, and I look up the answer..
Lol, where did you get stuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I used to find listening to Dr John so interesting, but now it's become boring. His voice seems to change as well with some lines, like they were recorded in a different session.
The first time I played GK1, I didn't have the talkie-version. Being a Star Trek-fan, I really looked forward to hearing Michael Dorn's portrayal of Dr. John once I got the CD-version. I must admit I was a bit disappointed. It sometimes sounds as if Dorn didn't have a clear idea of how he had to voice this character. If only they would've had him perform this role the same way as he did Mr. Worf, that would have been awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Spoiler:
If you don't find a strange scale at the site of the first murder (by the Lake Pontchartrain) you won't have the dialogue option for asking the lady I Forgot Her Name (the one that has a large collection of reptiles or a single snake in a cage, I don't remember) about something important, and without that you won't be able to proceed further.
So make sure you find and take that damn scale on time.
Are you sure you can no longer find the object at that point? I believe I did so on my first playthrough...

Last edited by Cellardoor; 01-10-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spoilers
Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #99
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor View Post
Are you sure you can no longer find the *beeep!* at that point? I believe I did so on my first playthrough...
Hey, that word in your quote I replaced with a beep was a spoiler!
I'm 99,99% sure (the 0,01% goes to those three years that passed since the occasion) - otherwise I would have finished the game. My only option was to load a saved game from the point that thing on "S" was accessible (which is practically the very begining of the adventure ). At the time, after having done so much in vain, it didn't seem like an option at all (to me) so I gave Gabriel up.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #100

Finished day 2.
I was going to write something along the lines of what Cellardoor in the mean time (4:16 pm) already has written: please slow down a bit (*), but perhaps not too much - just to have some time to reflect on the game after having played a part.
(* it's the first time I'm playing this, so it may take me a bit longer than other people - I just spend the afternoon and a part of the evening to get where I am - but I don't have the luxury of playing all day on a normal week day...)