You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #501

Despite my great dislike for the puzzles in the game, I've kept on playing because the rest of the game is so good.
I'm now in the final chapter, and the story is still interesting. In fact the second half of the game is better than the first half. The only thing that doesn't improve are those darn puzzles, some of them are still terrible. And now I'm (hopefully temporarily) stuck at a sliding tile puzzle. I hate sliding tile puzzles, and any game with one in it automatically goes down in my estimation.
So my opinion of the game doesn't change, great game, totally ruined by the puzzles. It's games like this that turn most people off adventures. I'm quite content to spend hours investigating puzzles, but if I get stuck, the solution better make sense, and it often doesn't in Whispered World.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #502
Bon
The Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmMac View Post
I hate sliding tile puzzles, and any game with one in it automatically goes down in my estimation.
And this one has two! Or better say one super-ultra-mega sliding-puzzle. I'm yet to see a worse one.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #503

The game was beautiful.

Remarks:
* 3 or 4 puzzles were extremely illogical or at least extremely hard to fathom without extremist trial and error. That was silly since 98% of the puzzles were beautiful.

[It's also extremely disappointing having to check a walkthrough in a game you don't want to 'spoil' (but I'm sorry, I'm not staying more than 2-3 nights on a puzzle that may turn out illogical or bugged (yes, it makes you suspect it may be a bug and may check a wthrough to make sure)]

*The VOICE ACTING OF SADWICK was the most beautiful thing in the game for me. I suspect those that don't like it are English speaking natively and reminds them of themselves whining when they were 5 y.o. I'm not English speaking natively so I may find the voice 'novel'.

Spoiler:
* The ending was slightly disappointing to me. I was expecting a more "Matrix"-esque ending (due to the 'wires').

*And surprisingly long! I'd play twice as that. It was that good.

3D graphics aren't everything.

Last edited by thinker; 08-02-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #504

I'd play anything in 2D hand drawn cartoony graphics.When I played WW it was some of the best days of my life.Great atmosphere good story really good characters.

As far as the puzzles go I was a bit surprised and annoyed by the chess puzzle.Surprised because as a Computer Science student I only heard about the chess-queen thing from an Artificial Intelligence course(which a friend of mine took) not too long before the game (didn't get to know the solution to it though which proved to be a setback for the game) and annoyed at it cause it was in the game and needed an extremely long time figuring out the solution with trial and error and also because as I said before I didnt get the solution from the course.

But all in all I loved the game and await daedalic's next projects hoping they will be 2D and hand drawn.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #505

The whole chess thing I found alright, but I wonder if that's from practice in the NUMEROUS chess puzzles of Layton games.

@jhetfield: If you're interested in anything 2D then you should check out a lot of the things in production over at AGS (adventure game studios) - lots of beautiful 2D animation, pretty amazing really. Then there's my game(s) of course, which are completely 2D /end self promotion.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #506

2D hand drawn not just 2D.

But when I have the time I'll check it out.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #507

hah, i got stuck in some silly puzzles but i did the chess in 20 seconds. it was merely a 'it doesn't go here, it goes there'. the lighted pieces helped a lot.

then i heard it even had more than 1 solution and i said 'how easy'.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #508
Lazy Bee

Today I finally finished The Whispered World. First I got stuck in the astrolab, lost some inspiration and then life got in the way of gaming and I ended up taking a more than five months break from this game.

It's a bit difficult to sum up my feelings for the game having had such a long break in playing it. I enjoyed the fantasy world and its creatures a lot. The graphics were beautiful I think and I'm not usually fond at all of 'cartoony' games. Most of the puzzles were to my liking, although some of them far from logic. Perhaps that's what made me lose interest in it for such a long time, I'm not sure.
The ending was very sweet, I didn't see it coming, but it worked well imo.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #509
I'm conceiving concepts

Default a File for you

I'm sorry to hear your stuck on that part of the game, i'll email you a file of a save state with you finished with that part (nothing else exsplored) if you wish , and yes ,I hate , hate , HATE! slider puzzles yet i was able to solve the chess puzzle.

just ask ok, or if anyone else needs a pass from this part

Last edited by Sampleton; 04-20-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: i could not email hime the save file
Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #510
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
And this one has two! Or better say one super-ultra-mega sliding-puzzle. I'm yet to see a worse one.

Played Safecracker?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #511

Default The Whispered World News

There will be incredible news regarding The Whispered World this summer...
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #512

very cryptic......any hints at least?or is it just a rumor and no one other than the studio knows?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metagames View Post
There will be incredible news regarding The Whispered World this summer...
That's... extremely random. Sequel? Seems highly, highly unlikely. So... is it meant to be about Marco Hullen's game 'Limbus'? Maybe?

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #514

i doubt it.......then it wouldn't be about TWW but Marco Hullen himself.also if memory serves right Marco Hullen isn't exactly a permanent employee of Daedalic.and in an interview last year after TWW was released he said that he was working at Related Designs.

it could be another game though.how about a prequel or sth to do with his grandfather's journeys.pure speculation but to me it's more believable to associate the news with the game rather than the designer.unless the original poster was misinformed,understood wrong or sth along those lines.

PS:if anyone has a xing account there is some info about where he works at this point.since the part about Related Designs is a year old it could very well be old news.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #515

yes, the only "incredible news" for me would be a sequel of sort.

but if it is a sequel, i don't see a reason to hold that announcement until summer.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #516

i don't know if it can be called a sequel though......
Spoiler:
if you see the story of TWW it ends with sadwick being nothing but a fictional character inside the dream of a boy who was in a coma or sth.it ends and sadwick has filled his purpose.no matter how much i think about it the story of TWW was made to be stand alone.it doesn't really make sense to make a sequel or anything of the sort.unless they just want to use the world(plus characters) from TWW for a game that apart from the setting(plus characters) has nothing to do with the story of TWW.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #517

Yes i agree, no doubt about that. Also

Spoiler:
Hullen himself probably didn't plan a sequel because of the way the story ends. It's pretty-much a "stand alone" game and Hullen "killed" any probability of a regular sequel because of that twist. I can't say i "dislike" ending but i "hate" it because of that, because i think Sadwick along with Spot is a rare example of character with personality in the line of classic characters like Gabriel Knight or Guybrush.

I just hope "incredible news" isn't something about ports to different platforms

Last edited by diego; 04-30-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #518
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
i don't know if it can be called a sequel though......
Spoiler:
if you see the story of TWW it ends with sadwick being nothing but a fictional character inside the dream of a boy who was in a coma or sth.it ends and sadwick has filled his purpose.no matter how much i think about it the story of TWW was made to be stand alone.it doesn't really make sense to make a sequel or anything of the sort.unless they just want to use the world(plus characters) from TWW for a game that apart from the setting(plus characters) has nothing to do with the story of TWW.
But didn't...

Spoiler:
Monkey Island do the same thing? Monkey Island 2 presented the game world as a fantasy between Guybrush and his brother, a 'final end' clearly intended by the developers. Monkey Island 3 revived the series by pretending that ending didn't happen, or by framing the ending in the carnival as a curse that LeChuck put on Guybrush so we remain 'in the real world'. Though I don't think it would be so easy to escape the implications of the ending in TWW, the possibility for a similar revival remains. The boy could continue to have dreams of Sadwick and the sequel could be a standalone game.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #519

actually i've only played a little bit of MI and MI3 but i've yet to finish MI.i need to be in the mood to play it and lately i rarely am.

but as far as your example goes wasn't MI more of a comedic game?isn't it easier to just do that kind of franchise when it's comedy?i can't imagine it being done that with a serious story like TWW.at least with comedy you can expect it.it's part of the comedy to do moves like that.

Last edited by jhetfield21; 04-30-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #520

There IS always a possibility to make a sequel of course. I think there are many examples in movie and games history where sequel wasn't intended but was released, especially when original makes huge success.

It's good comparision to Monkey Island, but MI is much more comedy than TWW and some things are easier to ignore in such situation. Also, MI2 ending was controversial from the start and authors of Curse just "got around" it.