You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #521

when you're talking about movies what do you have in mind?

another thing is that in movies games whatever if the main theme of the original is one adventure of the main hero where the past and future are left to our imagination is preferred if it's going to be a series.but in comedy it's just one absurd thing after another so it doesn't really matter if there are inconsistencies.i guess what i'm trying to say is the more serious the story is the more you pay attention to the details when a continuation of the story is introduced.anyways......what do you guys prefer?prequel,sequel,an adventure of his grandfather perhaps(ie how he got those trousers??!! i bet everyone is still having sleepless nights about that)?

Last edited by jhetfield21; 04-30-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #522
overall swell guy

Hmm ...

Although I believe that "information" given by a rather anonymous person who has just crated their account is terribly little to go on I'd like to join the speculation by pointing out that at least a prequel would make sense/be possible.

After all, if I remember right, the very first words spoken in TWW by the narrator were "This is the last story that I am going to tell you ...".
(There must have been stories told before).

So there.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't really believe a thing until at least some specifics are shared with us by the poster who claims to know something.

The subject came up on Daedalic's comment board about a week ago and I cannot say that the answer by one Daedalic employee did particularly sound like they're working on anything TWW right now:

"You never know!" (Claas).

http://forum.daedalic.de/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=807
Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
when you're talking about movies what do you have in mind?
well, there's even a dispute whether Star Wars was intended to have a sequel. And even if Lucas had plans from the start, many things were later added along the way. Rocky, Rambo... also spawned sequels because of commercial success that differ from the mood of the original.

However, we''re talking about something different here. To make sequel to TWW would be like asking a sequel to
Spoiler:
The Fight Club
for example. Even better comparision would be
Spoiler:
The Wizard of Oz
movie, which also
Spoiler:
"negated" the whole story at the end
to the difference of the book, but managed to have a huge cultural impact with sequels and spoofs.

Last edited by diego; 04-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
Although I believe that "information" given by a rather anonymous person who has just crated their account is terribly little to go on...
yes of course, but it was just a good oportunity to jump into discussion and speculation about the game i liked very much

Quote:
what do you guys prefer?prequel,sequel,an adventure of his grandfather perhaps(ie how he got those trousers??!! i bet everyone is still having sleepless nights about that)?
what i think is some of the strongest thing in TWW are Sadwick and Spot in general, completely from their design to the personality (reminded me very much of Torin and his pet in Torin's Passage) so i wouldn't mind to see anything that further exploits the adventure of two. I would also like to see more developed fantasy and "mythology" undertone of the game. But, as i said
Spoiler:
Hullen pretty much "killed" the possibility of a sequel and you can sense that the way it ended was in his head from the start, so i really don't know how a sequel or prequel would work in situation like this.

One another comparison that comes to mind is movie
Spoiler:
The Princess Bride, where the whole story is told by grandpa to a boy
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #525
overall swell guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post

...what i think is some of the strongest thing in TWW are Sadwick and Spot in general, completely from their design to the personality ...

I think you're right but I see a major problem with using them as main characters, let's say in a prequel, because their character development throughout the game seems to be so, I don't really know how to put it, "concluded" maybe?

Sadwick evolves from a moody teenage boy with low self esteem to an overall stronger personality, so a "prequel Sadwick" would have to be one that comes from childhood characteristics to evolve into the teenager he is at the beginning of TWW.

Spot on the other hand has no useful qualifications whatsoever in the beginning so it would be slightly incoherent to implement a similar "learning curve" for him in a supposed prequel.

But then of course, in AGs not everything has to be consistent, especially so in this case, because

Spoiler:
the story of Sadwick and Spot is to a great extend a story that is read to real Sadwick by his father from a Book. This Book could contain literally any story taking place in this world or another.

But of course Grandpa's pantaloons have "seen" things that must be a great backdrop for any fantasy based story.

I particularly like the RockBros™. Would be quite a challenge to base an AG on stationary characters ...

I've been thinking ...

If we take take Metagames' hint at face value and assume there will be smashing news about TWW ... maybe this isn't about a game at all.

The sheer book-like quality of the game or rather its narration arch and the fact that is seems to be concluded in the end would make a great base for a nice animated feature film. Coming to think of it, I could even imagine a movie with live actors supported by Jim Henson puppetry (although I don't particularly like the latter and fans of TWW would certainly not accept anything but the "original" Sadwick and Spot).

Be it as it may, as long as Daedalic hasn't announced any further plans with TWW I simply won't assume anything and live my life as if Metagamers' "heads up" were pure speculation/fabrication.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #526

i'm with you on pretty much everything.....
Spoiler:
it sounds like a great idea to base a "sequel" on the story being part of a children's book.that way the sequel could be either a different story altogether with different characters but the same type of world and happenings.it could be a different story about sadwick and spot.it could be stories about other characters in the same world.it all depends on the kind of stories that the book contains.but in the end the idea is that another game would be based on another story of the book that grandpa reads to the boy so that he has another dream.

if they want cohesion though it's gonna be hard since TWW had such a story that sadwick evolved in a way that in the end he would be able to wake up from the coma.

and even though i do agree that it is pure speculation as long as there's no official announcement it still is a good topic for discussion like diego said.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #527

Default Summer dreams...

I also like to see an animated feature film based on Sadwick and Spot.

Summer dreams come...
Old 05-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #528
overall swell guy

Quote:

and even though i do agree that it is pure speculation as long as there's no official announcement it still is a good topic for discussion like diego said.
Heh heh, of course it's a nice topic, that's why I'm taking part in the discussion.

I think I am on the right track, though. Metagames really seems to imply an animated movie ...
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #529

i hate to be the mood breaker but he could just like your idea.....

@metagames:can you shed some light?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #530

Default More light

Hi again,

there will be definitely news for all fans of The Whispered World this summer. Maybe at the gamescom 2011 in Cologne. Sorry, i can't tell you more now.

Best regards

Metagames
Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #531

Well, if it's gamescom then it's about the game actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
I think you're right but I see a major problem with using them as main characters, let's say in a prequel, because their character development throughout the game seems to be so, I don't really know how to put it, "concluded" maybe?
certainly, TWW is "coming of age" for both Sadwick and Spot, and their further adventures would likely to be "sequel" of sort. However we already agreed that the game is concluded and as i said already, it really seems like the thing Hullen had in his mind the whole time. i'm not debating whether ending should be different, because it's part of the game and part of Hullen's creation, but it's also "trap" to itself, if we're to discuss anything further in TWW "franchise". Also, i think 100% of players who played the game would rather see (if there's gonna be any) more games based on
Spoiler:
Sadwick as clown, not as boy in coma
, which is why said it's sorta trap ending. Like i said, movies

Spoiler:
The Wizard of Oz, which also got "it's all just a dream" twist or Alice in Wonderland, got viewers to care about fantasy land and main character in those surroundings and side characters, like Mad Hatter or Tin Man, and eventually broke loose of that "dream" barrier in more adventures, movies, spoofs... based on "dream" world

Last edited by diego; 05-01-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #532

Finished TWW yesterday, it was definitely a good game. Didn't like Sadwick's English voice at first, but came over it as the story progressed.

As for the puzzles...sigh (I'm starting to sound like Sadwick ^_^). I was *so* darn close to finishing the game without a single hint or walkthrough glance, but gave up at a puzzle that was actually pretty easy compared to rest of the game. As it happens, it's also purely logical (I think):

Spoiler:
It's the one where we need to arrange the stones representing the planets on the model. I was confused because of what seemed to me like contradicting information at the time, but I'm probably wrong. How ironic that I had to resort to a guide for what is probably among the easiest and most straightforward logic puzzles.

Also, I've seen this rarely discussed (maybe because there's nothing to discuss):

Spoiler:
Sadwick's/Sick boy's mother. Was there any significance to that? It's quite funny that the credits spoil the ending. When I just started the game for the first time I accidentally clicked the 'credits' button on the menu, but luckily I stopped them because I had the justified suspicion that I'm going to be spoilered. Anyhow, there's an image, among others from the real boy's life, of him placing a lit candle at his mother's grave. That makes me think a prequel/sequel is possible revolving around the boy's life, but who really knows. It seems Daedalic Entertainment have this thing with childhood tragedies

Any news regarding the author's next game, Limbus I believe?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #533
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalC2 View Post
Also, I've seen this rarely discussed (maybe because there's nothing to discuss):

Spoiler:
It's quite funny that the credits spoil the ending. When I just started the game for the first time I accidentally clicked the 'credits' button on the menu, but luckily I stopped them because I had the justified suspicion that I'm going to be spoilered.
Your suspicion was not justified, no worries. You only get to see those pics after you've finished the game. If you click the credits at any other time, the background is static.

PS: I really like how those images in the credits
Spoiler:
connect the characters in the dream world to people in the boy's life. Important ones are in the portraits in the last room before the mirror, and minor ones like the rocks and Bando and Bobby are in the credits.

Last edited by Fien; 06-06-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #534

The puzzles can be pretty infuriating, and I don't like that the pickable items meld into the background so much.
I've also encountered some script errors with conversations here and there, where eliciting a certain response from an NPC depends on Sadwick doing something obscure first.
All in all, I still like it enough for its charming art style and setting to continue through to the end. I'm on Chapter 3.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfish View Post
The puzzles can be pretty infuriating, and I don't like that the pickable items meld into the background so much.
I thought it was great. There's too many easy adventures these days
that make the objects/items just float on the background and say "Hey I'm here pick me up"... wheres the challenge in that. I would rather have them blended more
and harder to pick out..... anyway if your having problems finding stuff isn't there a Hotspot button you can use.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #536
Senior Automaton

I was stuck for hours at the beginning because I didn't see a stick on the ground at the lake that I needed to pick up.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weare6 View Post
I thought it was great. There's too many easy adventures these days
that make the objects/items just float on the background and say "Hey I'm here pick me up"... wheres the challenge in that. I would rather have them blended more
and harder to pick out..... anyway if your having problems finding stuff isn't there a Hotspot button you can use.
You mean like in Gray Matter, for instance, where it shows you all the labels for the clickable items on screen? Haven't found it in TWW.

And yea, I must admit, the game can be very hard.Maybe I was spoiled by far too many easy adventures along the way.
I would at times refer to a video walkthrough on Youtube after being stuck for hours simply not knowing what to do next, and the solution would be just something completely out of the box(like for example, the way you acquire Spot's third form in Chapter 2).

Well, I've learnt to try different combinations of actions on objects, and scour the scenes for any missables whenever I get stuck for too long.

The game's difficulty is also compounded by its relative sluggishness. I've got a very good setup for modern gaming in general, and this title doesn't look demanding at all, but it's just not fast enough. Maybe it was poorly coded or tested, or something.

Wow, the above looks like a huge list of complaints, but I do really like the game.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #538

Okay, as said previously, I'm on Chapter 3.
Spoiler:
I would never have figured out the rotating room/window puzzle without a guide. It's just crazy. To go through all that trouble for a bucket.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfish View Post
Okay, as said previously, I'm on Chapter 3.
Spoiler:
I would never have figured out the rotating room/window puzzle without a guide. It's just crazy. To go through all that trouble for a bucket.
Another mildly challenging puzzle that I solved all by myself. I'm still mad at myself for spoiling even the one puzzle I needed help with.

Axelfish, may I ask something of you? Once you finish the game, could you please post it here so that I can ask you a question regarding the one puzzle for which I deigned to seek help? I'm interested in knowing how people who needed help on the other puzzles (justifiably so I might add, this is not an easy game by any chance) fared on this one. It's later on in the game, fairly late actually, so I won't spoil it to you just now.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #540

Yea, no problem.