You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #301

I just played the eng demo, freakin loved it! A tip for those who don't like Sadwick's voice that much (like me), go to options and turn the speech down to like 75% and the sound and FX to 100%, sounds a lot more consistent that way.

That really brought me back to my childhood. Really good art direction, actually had a few chuckles, fantastic soundtrack, and actually logical puzzles that aren't too easy. Definitely picking up this one.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #302

Here is my feedback after playing the demo:

- The art is really awesome. Love the painted background & the painted character too.
- I love it how i can skip cutscene/cinematic & dialog.
- I like the Hotspot hint when you press space (although i would prefer if they leave it on for a couple seconds or until i press space again, so i don't have to keep pressing space again and again, but that's my nitpick minor concern).

- Slightly annoyed with Sadwick voice for the first couple minutes, but then i kind of ignore him since i read faster before he finish his talk.

- Inventory background is nicely painted, but since everything has brownish color, the inventory is a bit hard to see, sometimes it blends in with the background.
I think they should put a black outline or something to distinguish item from the background, or maybe a glow... or change the inventory bag into a grey'ish/more muted color to make the item stand out more.

- Also i personally thought they shouldn't give too many inventory stuff in the early part of the game, because if i'm stuck, than it means i have to do more thinking & more trial and error on a bunch of inventory item, instead of let say 5 items on my inventory max.

- Some of the puzzle is a bit too hard for me to figure out myself,
i "personally" think they should give more hint (either through Sadwick dialog / from the npc), but maybe they just want to make it more challenging for the hardcore adventure gamer, so i can somewhat understand why they keep it this way, but still it annoys me a little bit though.

in the end, i have to consult a google translated german walkthrough
I'm stuck at this puzzle and have to use walkthrough:
Spoiler:

- You have to enter the door from the opposite way to enter Shana house
(would be nice if Rock Brothers hinting / talk a little bit about this)

- You have to use fish bone for the Hour Clock hand
(would be nice if Sadwick said something about a missing hour clock and he
should find a replacement for it)

- I never think about checking the tasklist note on "do a Sleeping Giant a favor", got the note at early part of the game and totally forgot that i have it on my inventory also kidna forgot about Bruno too. (would be nice if Sadwick hinting something about this also)

Nevertheless i will get this game when it's released
Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 AM   #303
Sik

I just played the English Demo, and will definitely buy the full version. Some nitpicks though.

The voice acting was much better than I expected. Not quite on par with the best games out there, but certainly among the better translated ones. I did have some issues with playback of sounds in the game, though. The music sometimes had popping sounds (the kind you often get at the start of mp3 files) and the volume of sound effects and dialogue lines weren't normalized. Also a few bugs where dialogue didn't match subtitles.

The puzzles were a lot of fun, and seemed quite challenging for such an early part of the game. I was a bit annoyed with the automatic hint system, though. I often tried unlikely combinations of objects just to see what kind of response I would get. While it's a huge pro that this is encouraged by having all kinds of silly replies for nonsensical combinations, I didn't like that Sadwick would offer hints like "I don't have the necessary item in my backpack at the moment". It's a good feature, but it should be possible to turn off.

Anyway, the game is gorgeous, and fun to play, and the story was just starting to drag me in as the demo ended. The issues I had may not even be present in the full game, and even if they are, they wouldn't detract all that much from the overall experience.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #304

Seems very promising from what Ive seen, voice acting aside. For anyone who beat the German version, how is the story next to games like Circle of Blood, Gabriel Knight, Grim Fandango, or Longest Journey?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #305
Jumping peanut on a stick

The demo was promising!
Reading some previous comments I expected atrocious voice acting, but was pleasantly surprised in the end. They probably could find a bit better voice for Sadwick (I get the idea behind cheesy whiny voice.. but..), however, just about everyone else were perfect.
Puzzles were really fun to solve (I hope they don't get much tougher later in the game), dialogs were humorous and story is starting to get interesting toward the end of the demo.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
A tip for those who don't like Sadwick's voice that much (like me), go to options and turn the speech down to like 75% and the sound and FX to 100%, sounds a lot more consistent that way.
wow, thanks mate, that made a huge difference. i suggest everyone should try this, it's really much better imo.

Last edited by Assaf; 04-10-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by potan View Post
- I like the Hotspot hint when you press space (although i would prefer if they leave it on for a couple seconds or until i press space again, so i don't have to keep pressing space again and again, but that's my nitpick minor concern).
if you keep the space key pressed mate, the hotspots would stay on screen.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #308
J.H
Frak.

Downloading the demo from Deepsilver was taking me forever, I'd advise one of the mirrors the fastest I found was the UK 1000mbit/s http://www.gamershell.com/download_57708.shtml

Last edited by J.H; 04-10-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #309
J.H
Frak.

Really loving the demo, the environments are even more beautiful whilst playing. Puzzles are fun and I'm really glad they've involved lore and history to the land of the whispered world, a previous worry of mine that they wouldn't.

Sadwick's voice has actually grown on me, his over negativity is a little jarring though but it'll be interesting to see how he develops.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #310
Banned User

Send a message via ICQ to HELPME9999

I was pleasently surprised to see that the whispered world is advertised at AG.
But when I look at the US version of the cover I get quite irate that we're getting some heavily bastardised version of the artwork. What's the reason to do those changes to this beautiful piece of artwork?
Half the image is lost through oversaturated colors and raised contrast! The German version is also disturbed by those insanely huge rating images but what explains this cheaply pasted fire spot? Don't tell me they intented to emphasize that the game is colorful and gloomy and has lots of burning objects?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #311
Senior *female* member

The German Spot on the cover isn't anything like the real Spot in the game, and the US one is. But I don't like the US colors either.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPME9999 View Post
I was pleasently surprised to see that the whispered world is advertised at AG.
But when I look at the US version of the cover I get quite irate that we're getting some heavily bastardised version of the artwork. What's the reason to do those changes to this beautiful piece of artwork?
Half the image is lost through oversaturated colors and raised contrast! The German version is also disturbed by those insanely huge rating images but what explains this cheaply pasted fire spot? Don't tell me they intented to emphasize that the game is colorful and gloomy and has lots of burning objects?

Holy crap, that US cover is... terrible. It's so blown out you can't even see anything but Sadwick and Spot. If anyone sees this on shelf and doesn't already know what it is, I highly doubt it will be half as enticing as the UK box. Presentation fail. I know I'll be ordering it from UK if Australia doesn't get it soon enough.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #313

Just got an email from GAME here in the UK saying my pre-order of The Whispered World is in process and could ship very soon, if so I could have my copy by tomorrow if all goes well can't wait to try it I enjoyed the demo.

UPDATE: Wouldn't you know it its just shipped, yay fantastic.

Last edited by Rosswell; 04-20-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #314

My copy of the Whispered World has arrived, it doesn't come with the 12 side dice DRM stuff that was in the German version, it appears there's no DRM type feature whatsoever just the DVD and the manual not even a CD-Key.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #315

Do games like this suffer much from pirating?

(An honest question; I'm not trying to be a smart-ass)
Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosswell View Post
My copy of the Whispered World has arrived, it doesn't come with the 12 side dice DRM stuff that was in the German version, it appears there's no DRM type feature whatsoever just the DVD and the manual not even a CD-Key.
Lucky! Now for me to go do my research assessment for uni and not think about other people playing this amazing looking game ...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #317
NO senior just Senorita..

Here is the first Review

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/artic...Review-PC.html
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #318
J.H
Frak.

Does it come out tomorrow for download?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #319

From http://www.gamersdailynews.com/artic...Review-PC.html:
Quote:
There’s no hint system that I could find in it to help push you along when you need it.
In the demo you could press space to highlight click-able objects. Can anyone tell me if this has been removed from the full release?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #320

I'd like to enter the giveaway contest. How do I know if it's legal for me to enter in my place of residence? I live in the US in California.