Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   The Whispered World (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18094-whispered-world.html)

Terramax 12-09-2006 04:24 PM

The Whispered World

From the moment I first saw the screenshots I feel in love with this game. I've played the demo in English and I like it further. But can anyone tell me what's happening with this title?

The official site is:

http://www.the-whispered-world.de/news.html

also, there is the Badbrain website (the supposed publisher). Can someone please tell me what's going on as there hasn't been any news for about a year. Have they given up? I know it was mainly one person making the game so it's is gonna be slow, but I seriously would like to know if this has a fighting chance of hitting the stores.

Mordalles 12-09-2006 05:15 PM

wow, some beautiful stunning artwork! first time i see this, and now i'm hoping someone finishes it!

Kate Walker 12-10-2006 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 372034)
also, there is the Badbrain website (the supposed publisher). Can someone please tell me what's going on as there hasn't been any news for about a year. Have they given up? I know it was mainly one person making the game so it's is gonna be slow, but I seriously would like to know if this has a fighting chance of hitting the stores.

Bad Brain Entertainment has shut down forever as www.adventure-treff.de
already reported last month.

90 % of the game The Whispered World is completed but will not be published as a commercial game.

Terramax 12-10-2006 02:47 AM

Not to be a commercial game! What does that mean? That the game will never be sold at all, or that the game will be sold privately e.g. download on official site?

damn, I really want this game. For some reason, I brings back the magic and nostalgic memory of the first 2 PnCs I ever played, Blazing Dragons and Discworld on the Sega Saturn. I love the artwork and music.

Mordalles, have you played the demo yet?

Also, about another game I want, Tony Tough 2. I've read that it's already released in Germany/ German speaking territories. Anyone from German territories own it and care to say what it's like?

Orange Brat 12-10-2006 03:48 AM

Quote:

Not to be a commercial game! What does that mean?
If it means what it's supposed to mean then it means free...that or never.

Mordalles 12-10-2006 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 372096)
Mordalles, have you played the demo yet?

no. i searched for a demo on the website, but couldn't find one. just found the word "demo" under downloads, but you can't click on it. is there some place i can get it? :9~ the english one?
the artwork is some of the best i've ever seen in a 2d adventure game.
90%? isn't there someone who can finish it. ;(

Terramax 12-10-2006 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Brat (Post 372108)
If it means what it's supposed to mean then it means free...that or never.

Well, if the game is as good the whole way through as the demo I played, with English voices, I'll be donating money that's for sure.

Mordalles, here:

http://www.bad-brain.com/do_login_en.jsp

Click on whispered world and the demo is further down the page. There's a multilang and German one. Enjoy. The German one has voices, but the english is just worded English.

Mordalles 12-10-2006 06:32 AM

thanks, terramax! :D

jp-30 12-10-2006 11:19 AM

Would someone be able to translate Wolfgang's message and perhaps make a news item out of it here at AG?

Erwin_Br 12-10-2006 04:10 PM

My German is a bit rusty, but it all boils down to this:

- Bad Brain entertainment is closed because of lack of investors.
- The Whispered World is and remains int. property of Bad Brain, but the team working on it has been allowed to finish the game and release it as freeware only. They're not allowed to sell it.

Wolfgang also said that "People who think I haven't done my best to make this a success must ask themselves the following question: How many of you would've spent your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream?"

--Erwin

Terramax 12-10-2006 05:11 PM

Damn this! Why only Freeware? I'd pay good money for a proper English version. I don't wanna degrade other games, but there are games that look like they were made solely using Windows Paint and charge $5-10 dollars, so why not this? I think they should be allowed to sell it.

Grrrrr, this angers me.OK, just relax Terra *breathes in* DEEP... OPEN... SPACES...

Erwin_Br 12-11-2006 05:42 AM

Well, I wonder if all the (German) voices are already recorded. We might not even see a voiced version.

Translating the dialogue to English isn't a big deal, but recording voices is another story.

--Erwin

AFGNCAAP 12-11-2006 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin_Br (Post 372247)
Wolfgang also said that "People who think I haven't done my best to make this a success must ask themselves the following question: How many of you would've spent your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream?"

Oh my. I thought I was past being moved by anything Dr Wolfgang says, but this quote makes me wanna strangle him.

Solid Snake 12-11-2006 08:08 AM

You wish.

nordic_guy 12-11-2006 10:14 PM

I hope it is released with english subtitiles at least. From what I saw of the demo, it looked like it had potential.

Terramax 12-12-2006 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP (Post 372364)
Oh my. I thought I was past being moved by anything Dr Wolfgang says, but this quote makes me wanna strangle him.

Why is that?

AFGNCAAP 12-12-2006 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 372590)
Why is that?

Because it is an incredibly self-righteous thing to say for a man who generated a whole lot of free publicity for himself, having done nothing, or downright lying. I don't know how much he helped The Whispered World developer, but up till that game all his promises was smoke and mirrors. The hints he dropped about buying off Sam and Max sequel were premature at least (I am giving him benefit of the doubt that there were some negotiations with LucasArts, which is doubtful in itself). I-jet was a game made up on the spot based on the name of the printer's manufacturer. He even stole the bad brain logo from some random website. I don't think he has any right to preach on "spending your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream".

jacog 12-12-2006 03:17 AM

ever since i discovered all about Uwe Boll i have been somewhat suspicious of any commercial creative efforts from germany that flop for whatever reason. there's loads of money to be made by exploiting some wacky tax loopholes they have there.

nordic_guy 12-12-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP (Post 372606)
Because it is an incredibly self-righteous thing to say for a man who generated a whole lot of free publicity for himself, having done nothing, or downright lying. I don't know how much he helped The Whispered World developer, but up till that game all his promises was smoke and mirrors. The hints he dropped about buying off Sam and Max sequel were premature at least (I am giving him benefit of the doubt that there were some negotiations with LucasArts, which is doubtful in itself). I-jet was a game made up on the spot based on the name of the printer's manufacturer. He even stole the bad brain logo from some random website. I don't think he has any right to preach on "spending your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream".

Seriously. I doubt any actual games existed besides the storylines, logos and some concept art. The Whispered World being the exception since we actually got a demo.

equallyAvant 12-12-2006 08:12 AM

If i remember correctly Whispered world demo was a university project of one man.