The Whispered World - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Terramax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,595
Default The Whispered World

From the moment I first saw the screenshots I feel in love with this game. I've played the demo in English and I like it further. But can anyone tell me what's happening with this title?

The official site is:

http://www.the-whispered-world.de/news.html

also, there is the Badbrain website (the supposed publisher). Can someone please tell me what's going on as there hasn't been any news for about a year. Have they given up? I know it was mainly one person making the game so it's is gonna be slow, but I seriously would like to know if this has a fighting chance of hitting the stores.
Terramax is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
Default

wow, some beautiful stunning artwork! first time i see this, and now i'm hoping someone finishes it!
Mordalles is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
Member
 
Kate Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
also, there is the Badbrain website (the supposed publisher). Can someone please tell me what's going on as there hasn't been any news for about a year. Have they given up? I know it was mainly one person making the game so it's is gonna be slow, but I seriously would like to know if this has a fighting chance of hitting the stores.

Bad Brain Entertainment has shut down forever as www.adventure-treff.de
already reported last month.

90 % of the game The Whispered World is completed but will not be published as a commercial game.
Kate Walker is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Terramax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,595
Default

Not to be a commercial game! What does that mean? That the game will never be sold at all, or that the game will be sold privately e.g. download on official site?

damn, I really want this game. For some reason, I brings back the magic and nostalgic memory of the first 2 PnCs I ever played, Blazing Dragons and Discworld on the Sega Saturn. I love the artwork and music.

Mordalles, have you played the demo yet?

Also, about another game I want, Tony Tough 2. I've read that it's already released in Germany/ German speaking territories. Anyone from German territories own it and care to say what it's like?

Last edited by Terramax; 12-10-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Terramax is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
OB
 
Orange Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Not to be a commercial game! What does that mean?
If it means what it's supposed to mean then it means free...that or never.
__________________
The Disenfranchisedô - A Film Noir adventure series for the PC. Coming later.
Orange Brat is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:09 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Mordalles, have you played the demo yet?
no. i searched for a demo on the website, but couldn't find one. just found the word "demo" under downloads, but you can't click on it. is there some place i can get it? the english one?
the artwork is some of the best i've ever seen in a 2d adventure game.
90%? isn't there someone who can finish it.
Mordalles is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Terramax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat View Post
If it means what it's supposed to mean then it means free...that or never.
Well, if the game is as good the whole way through as the demo I played, with English voices, I'll be donating money that's for sure.

Mordalles, here:

http://www.bad-brain.com/do_login_en.jsp

Click on whispered world and the demo is further down the page. There's a multilang and German one. Enjoy. The German one has voices, but the english is just worded English.
Terramax is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
Default

thanks, terramax!
Mordalles is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
jp-30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 413
Default

Would someone be able to translate Wolfgang's message and perhaps make a news item out of it here at AG?
jp-30 is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Under pressure.
 
Erwin_Br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,773
Default

My German is a bit rusty, but it all boils down to this:

- Bad Brain entertainment is closed because of lack of investors.
- The Whispered World is and remains int. property of Bad Brain, but the team working on it has been allowed to finish the game and release it as freeware only. They're not allowed to sell it.

Wolfgang also said that "People who think I haven't done my best to make this a success must ask themselves the following question: How many of you would've spent your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream?"

--Erwin
__________________
> Learn more about my forthcoming point & click adventure: Bad Timing!
> Or... Visit Adventure Developers: Everything about developing adventure games.
Erwin_Br is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Terramax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,595
Default

Damn this! Why only Freeware? I'd pay good money for a proper English version. I don't wanna degrade other games, but there are games that look like they were made solely using Windows Paint and charge $5-10 dollars, so why not this? I think they should be allowed to sell it.

Grrrrr, this angers me.OK, just relax Terra *breathes in* DEEP... OPEN... SPACES...
Terramax is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
Under pressure.
 
Erwin_Br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,773
Default

Well, I wonder if all the (German) voices are already recorded. We might not even see a voiced version.

Translating the dialogue to English isn't a big deal, but recording voices is another story.

--Erwin
__________________
> Learn more about my forthcoming point & click adventure: Bad Timing!
> Or... Visit Adventure Developers: Everything about developing adventure games.
Erwin_Br is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
Dungeon Master
 
AFGNCAAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Poland
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Wolfgang also said that "People who think I haven't done my best to make this a success must ask themselves the following question: How many of you would've spent your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream?"
Oh my. I thought I was past being moved by anything Dr Wolfgang says, but this quote makes me wanna strangle him.
__________________
What's happening? Wh... Where am I?
AFGNCAAP is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
Slim Shady
 
Solid Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 727
Default

You wish.
__________________
Iím gonna make you hate me cause you ainít me.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,081
Default

I hope it is released with english subtitiles at least. From what I saw of the demo, it looked like it had potential.
__________________
If I wasn't just spamming this thread, I'd probably have something interesting to say.
nordic_guy is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Terramax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Oh my. I thought I was past being moved by anything Dr Wolfgang says, but this quote makes me wanna strangle him.
Why is that?
Terramax is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 AM   #17
Dungeon Master
 
AFGNCAAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Poland
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Why is that?
Because it is an incredibly self-righteous thing to say for a man who generated a whole lot of free publicity for himself, having done nothing, or downright lying. I don't know how much he helped The Whispered World developer, but up till that game all his promises was smoke and mirrors. The hints he dropped about buying off Sam and Max sequel were premature at least (I am giving him benefit of the doubt that there were some negotiations with LucasArts, which is doubtful in itself). I-jet was a game made up on the spot based on the name of the printer's manufacturer. He even stole the bad brain logo from some random website. I don't think he has any right to preach on "spending your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream".
__________________
What's happening? Wh... Where am I?
AFGNCAAP is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #18
Kung Fu Code Poet
 
jacog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Africa
Posts: 701
Default

ever since i discovered all about Uwe Boll i have been somewhat suspicious of any commercial creative efforts from germany that flop for whatever reason. there's loads of money to be made by exploiting some wacky tax loopholes they have there.
__________________
http://www.screwylightbulb.com/
jacog is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Because it is an incredibly self-righteous thing to say for a man who generated a whole lot of free publicity for himself, having done nothing, or downright lying. I don't know how much he helped The Whispered World developer, but up till that game all his promises was smoke and mirrors. The hints he dropped about buying off Sam and Max sequel were premature at least (I am giving him benefit of the doubt that there were some negotiations with LucasArts, which is doubtful in itself). I-jet was a game made up on the spot based on the name of the printer's manufacturer. He even stole the bad brain logo from some random website. I don't think he has any right to preach on "spending your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream".
Seriously. I doubt any actual games existed besides the storylines, logos and some concept art. The Whispered World being the exception since we actually got a demo.
__________________
If I wasn't just spamming this thread, I'd probably have something interesting to say.
nordic_guy is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #20
Member
 
equallyAvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Greece, Athens
Posts: 71
Default

If i remember correctly Whispered world demo was a university project of one man.
__________________
Tommorow never comes, until its too late...
equallyAvant is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.