You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #1

Default The Whispered World

From the moment I first saw the screenshots I feel in love with this game. I've played the demo in English and I like it further. But can anyone tell me what's happening with this title?

The official site is:

http://www.the-whispered-world.de/news.html

also, there is the Badbrain website (the supposed publisher). Can someone please tell me what's going on as there hasn't been any news for about a year. Have they given up? I know it was mainly one person making the game so it's is gonna be slow, but I seriously would like to know if this has a fighting chance of hitting the stores.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #2

wow, some beautiful stunning artwork! first time i see this, and now i'm hoping someone finishes it!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
also, there is the Badbrain website (the supposed publisher). Can someone please tell me what's going on as there hasn't been any news for about a year. Have they given up? I know it was mainly one person making the game so it's is gonna be slow, but I seriously would like to know if this has a fighting chance of hitting the stores.

Bad Brain Entertainment has shut down forever as www.adventure-treff.de
already reported last month.

90 % of the game The Whispered World is completed but will not be published as a commercial game.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 AM   #4

Not to be a commercial game! What does that mean? That the game will never be sold at all, or that the game will be sold privately e.g. download on official site?

damn, I really want this game. For some reason, I brings back the magic and nostalgic memory of the first 2 PnCs I ever played, Blazing Dragons and Discworld on the Sega Saturn. I love the artwork and music.

Mordalles, have you played the demo yet?

Also, about another game I want, Tony Tough 2. I've read that it's already released in Germany/ German speaking territories. Anyone from German territories own it and care to say what it's like?

Last edited by Terramax; 12-10-2006 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #5
OB

Quote:
Not to be a commercial game! What does that mean?
If it means what it's supposed to mean then it means free...that or never.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Mordalles, have you played the demo yet?
no. i searched for a demo on the website, but couldn't find one. just found the word "demo" under downloads, but you can't click on it. is there some place i can get it? the english one?
the artwork is some of the best i've ever seen in a 2d adventure game.
90%? isn't there someone who can finish it.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat View Post
If it means what it's supposed to mean then it means free...that or never.
Well, if the game is as good the whole way through as the demo I played, with English voices, I'll be donating money that's for sure.

Mordalles, here:

http://www.bad-brain.com/do_login_en.jsp

Click on whispered world and the demo is further down the page. There's a multilang and German one. Enjoy. The German one has voices, but the english is just worded English.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #8

thanks, terramax!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #9

Would someone be able to translate Wolfgang's message and perhaps make a news item out of it here at AG?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Under pressure.

My German is a bit rusty, but it all boils down to this:

- Bad Brain entertainment is closed because of lack of investors.
- The Whispered World is and remains int. property of Bad Brain, but the team working on it has been allowed to finish the game and release it as freeware only. They're not allowed to sell it.

Wolfgang also said that "People who think I haven't done my best to make this a success must ask themselves the following question: How many of you would've spent your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream?"

--Erwin
Old 12-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #11

Damn this! Why only Freeware? I'd pay good money for a proper English version. I don't wanna degrade other games, but there are games that look like they were made solely using Windows Paint and charge $5-10 dollars, so why not this? I think they should be allowed to sell it.

Grrrrr, this angers me.OK, just relax Terra *breathes in* DEEP... OPEN... SPACES...
Old 12-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
Under pressure.

Well, I wonder if all the (German) voices are already recorded. We might not even see a voiced version.

Translating the dialogue to English isn't a big deal, but recording voices is another story.

--Erwin
Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Wolfgang also said that "People who think I haven't done my best to make this a success must ask themselves the following question: How many of you would've spent your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream?"
Oh my. I thought I was past being moved by anything Dr Wolfgang says, but this quote makes me wanna strangle him.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
Slim Shady

You wish.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #15

I hope it is released with english subtitiles at least. From what I saw of the demo, it looked like it had potential.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Oh my. I thought I was past being moved by anything Dr Wolfgang says, but this quote makes me wanna strangle him.
Why is that?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 AM   #17
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Why is that?
Because it is an incredibly self-righteous thing to say for a man who generated a whole lot of free publicity for himself, having done nothing, or downright lying. I don't know how much he helped The Whispered World developer, but up till that game all his promises was smoke and mirrors. The hints he dropped about buying off Sam and Max sequel were premature at least (I am giving him benefit of the doubt that there were some negotiations with LucasArts, which is doubtful in itself). I-jet was a game made up on the spot based on the name of the printer's manufacturer. He even stole the bad brain logo from some random website. I don't think he has any right to preach on "spending your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream".
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #18
Kung Fu Code Poet

ever since i discovered all about Uwe Boll i have been somewhat suspicious of any commercial creative efforts from germany that flop for whatever reason. there's loads of money to be made by exploiting some wacky tax loopholes they have there.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Because it is an incredibly self-righteous thing to say for a man who generated a whole lot of free publicity for himself, having done nothing, or downright lying. I don't know how much he helped The Whispered World developer, but up till that game all his promises was smoke and mirrors. The hints he dropped about buying off Sam and Max sequel were premature at least (I am giving him benefit of the doubt that there were some negotiations with LucasArts, which is doubtful in itself). I-jet was a game made up on the spot based on the name of the printer's manufacturer. He even stole the bad brain logo from some random website. I don't think he has any right to preach on "spending your entire capital and three years of your life on a dream".
Seriously. I doubt any actual games existed besides the storylines, logos and some concept art. The Whispered World being the exception since we actually got a demo.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #20

If i remember correctly Whispered world demo was a university project of one man.