You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessjillian View Post
Ok, So I'm stuck, not sure how to help the giant? found the way in to shana's but that is it, please help me....
Haha, took me a bit to think on that, but the answer lies...
Spoiler:
in your chores list

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #342
Strategy Guide Author

Interact CD now lists the US boxed copy of Whispered World not releasing until 5/28... anyone have an update on this?

I know Amazon.uk has it in stock but they won't ship it to the US.

May just have to break down and get the digital copy.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #343

The game is now available at Steam with 10% off in the first week: http://store.steampowered.com/app/18490/
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #344
Strategy Guide Author

Any clue on when it will be available at US retailers? Amazon, etc ?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #345

My copy is on the way. Should have it on thursday. Played the demo and liked it a lot. The graphics are stunningly beautiful and the music and sound effects are great. The story seems interesting. Translation into english seems natural.

Not convinced about Sadwick's voice though. And i hope the puzzles aren't frustratingly difficult or illogical (which seems to be the main problem mentioned in reviews).

Very much looking forward to it
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #346

I checked Google for reviews of The Whispered World and I came across Eurogamer's review, written by veteran video games journalist John Walker, who apparently contributed to the Director's Cut of Broken Sword according to his Wikipedia page.

Much to my dismay, The Whispered World seems to be made up of the same type of illogical puzzles that have been holding the genre back since the 90's. This is the type of game that I usually wonder around in for hours not knowing what to do, and it's the type of game that I just can't be bothered with anymore. No matter how pretty it looks.

From the Eurogamer review:
"It's so achingly pretty, and clearly so much love has gone into it. But the crappy puzzles and painful voices (not all are bad, most are dull, Sadwick's is agony) do a huge disservice to a lovely world and some splendid writing.

Absolutely enormous, endlessly gorgeous, but maddening (especially in its final moment), The Whispered World is a muddled shame."

6/10

At least they got the translation right, which is an improvement over most other foreign adventures, and another one of my pet peeves. Which makes it even harder not to pick up, but I can't. Sorry Daedalic
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #347

But the crappy puzzles and painful voices (not all are bad, most are dull, Sadwick's is agony) do a huge disservice to a lovely world and some splendid writing.

I might not be a veteran journalist but I also write reviews of adventure games and I must say, the quality of this review is shocking, and not in a good way. I've read more professional essays on this forum (under the reader reviews- section)... Just... shocked.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Much to my dismay, The Whispered World seems to be made up of the same type of illogical puzzles that have been holding the genre back since the 90's. This is the type of game that I usually wonder around in for hours not knowing what to do, and it's the type of game that I just can't be bothered with anymore. No matter how pretty it looks.
First of all, I don't see how the puzzles have kept the genre back. It has always been about puzzle solving, exploring and dialogue. What you're saying is that the genre is dragging by being its definition? Makes no sense, really.

Seems to me like more and more people are jumping on this David Cage bandwagon, and saying these games should be dumbed down and all what makes an adventure an adventure, cut off. High quality graphics and sound doesn't equal a good game. Doom 3. That's all I've got to say. Doom 3.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #349

Doom 3 was a great game. I enjoyed it very much.

I disagree with you. I think his complaint is a very standard whinge and a very justified one. I don't think the review suffered from poor writing. If you disagree with his sentiment and opinion, then that's fine.

But your retort makes no sense. Yes, puzzles are an integral and fundamental part of adventure games. Just like, say, weapons are an integral and fundamental part of first person shooters. However boring weapon design can ruin an entire fps.

Similarly, terrrible puzzle design can ruin an entire adventure. Wonderful puzzle design on the other hand can make an adventure and give you that feeling of interaction and magic that we all love. Compare for example the cat hair disguise puzzle with the swordfighting insult puzzle.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugignadl View Post
Doom 3 was a great game. I enjoyed it very much.

I disagree with you. I think his complaint is a very standard whinge and a very justified one. I don't think the review suffered from poor writing. If you disagree with his sentiment and opinion, then that's fine.

But your retort makes no sense. Yes, puzzles are an integral and fundamental part of adventure games. Just like, say, weapons are an integral and fundamental part of first person shooters. However boring weapon design can ruin an entire fps.

Similarly, terrrible puzzle design can ruin an entire adventure. Wonderful puzzle design on the other hand can make an adventure and give you that feeling of interaction and magic that we all love. Compare for example the cat hair disguise puzzle with the swordfighting insult puzzle.
Actually, you don't, as I agree with you. We're talking about two different things here. The only thing we disagree on is the quality of that so-called review.

People are quick to say something is illogical, when you have to spend a while to think about it. But that is what adventure games are like. Truly illogical puzzles? Sure, most games have them. But are they dragging the genre? Not unless the game is filled with them. If you want to talk about illogical, Doom 3's story and missions are just that. Yet, the game was made for highly advanced graphics and it received praise.

Last edited by Hannes; 04-27-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
What you're saying is that the genre is dragging by being its definition?
I'm not saying that at all. Adventure games, for the most part, need cerebral challenges to engage you in the narrative. For example, I've been playing Another Code: R for Wii. It's sprinkled with interactive puzzles that pull you into the game world. Without them, the story and dialogue would fall flat and grow old very quickly. Games are an interactive medium. If the player isn't making interesting choices then you're doing it wrong.

With that said, there's a big difference between a clever, thought-provoking puzzle and an illogical, obtuse puzzle; the latter of which has plagued the genre for far too long.

Why do illogical puzzles hurt the genre? Because no one wants to get stuck and have no idea what they're doing wrong -- that goes for any game, not just adventures. It's frustrating, and more often than not, you stumble over a solution through trial-and-error as opposed to actually figuring it out with your brain. It's bad game design.

Quote:
Seems to me like more and more people are jumping on this David Cage bandwagon, and saying these games should be dumbed down and all what makes an adventure an adventure, cut off.
Again, I'm not saying that at all. If all adventures were like Heavy Rain, I'd be thoroughly disappointed.

I just want solid, logical puzzle design in adventure games -- where the solution requires careful deliberation or attention to detail, whether it be situational logic, mathematical or visual. I don't want to be rubbing all of my items together because that is what's expected from the genre. That's rubbish and not fun.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #352

^ In that case, I absolutely agree 100% with you as well. Guess I misunderstood your original post.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #353

No worries.

I guess I get frustrated at these games having the same problems over and over, so I apologise if I come across as being a little negative. And obviously, I haven't played The Whispered World so I don't know exactly how illogical or frustrating the game is, but the few examples the review gave were enough for me to pass on purchasing a copy.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
No worries.

I guess I get frustrated at these games having the same problems over and over, so I apologise if I come across as being a little negative. And obviously, I haven't played The Whispered World so I don't know exactly how illogical or frustrating the game is, but the few examples the review gave were enough for me to pass on purchasing a copy.
Hehe, that's fine. You made a perfectly valid point.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #355

I would be happy if you play the demo and form your own opinion, instead of just going on a single review, which just so happens to be the most negative one.

As for when the game will be available in US stores as a physical copy, I know some channels will not be getting it before late May, but some should stock it already and Amazon.com should get a new shipment soon. If you contact Viva Media, they should be able to give you a better answer on specific retail outlets.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #356
The Quiet One

I'm still undecided about getting the full game. I still haven't finished the demo and I don't seem to have the motivation to do so. The graphics/artwork are absolutely fantastic, but Sadwick's voice...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #357
Senior *female* member

Imo, eurogamer's rating is too low. It's by far the lowest I have seen on metacritic or critify. The reviewer obviously didn't like the ending. I did. I guess it's one of those endings people either love or hate. There is so much to like about WW, not just the graphics. It's a rich game, loads of stuff to interact with, and exceptionally good writing. I loved the mix of fun and sadness throughout the game.

I agree that the puzzles are not the best part of the game, although one or two were clever and original (the skull). A few were illogical, not all of them. Too many classical puzzles that I am tired of: chess, mixing colors, slider. I haven't played the English version, but the voices in the demo were not nearly as good as the German voiceacting.

Pet peeve: the eurogamer review is riddled with spoilers.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #358

I started playing this yesterday and also got annoyed with Sadwick's voice but I guess I'll get used to it. It seems pretty decent. If you read the interview with the developers, where they clearly say this is meant for people who miss old school classics like Broken Sword, and isn't in any way supposed to be anything groundbreaking, in terms of gameplay.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalic_Claas View Post
I would be happy if you play the demo and form your own opinion, instead of just going on a single review, which just so happens to be the most negative one.
Maybe I should play the demo, but to be fair, I'm not just basing my opinion on that one review. From Metacritic:

Gamereactor Denmark: A gorgeous adventure with a touching story is marred by mildly frustrating moments and mystifying puzzles.

Gamer.no: A worthy buy, despite some weak and illogical puzzles.

Another deterring factor is Sadwick's voice. From what I heard in the trailer, it would definitely grate on me, and I'd rather not play a game where I have to "get used to" the lead character's voice. Also, the way the dialogue skips to the next line without pause (this is evident in the trailer, also) seems like a massive oversight.

I know it wouldn't be a terrible game by any means, but I know the type of gameplay I like and dislike. I'd be more interested in reading the comic, because the artwork is superb
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #360
Senior *female* member

Quote:
If you read the interview with the developers,
Where can I find this interview, do you have a link?