You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #281

I tried the German demo, very cool game!

About widescreen: I do have a 1920x1200 res and as far as I know it just filled up my entire screen. You could try the German demo to see if it works for you.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdk View Post
About widescreen: I do have a 1920x1200 res and as far as I know it just filled up my entire screen. You could try the German demo to see if it works for you.
1920x1200 (a.k.a. WUXGA) has a 16:10 aspect ratio. Although when referring to a TV screen (or computer monitor) "widescreen" usually means 16:9, 16:10 is certainly closer to 16:9 than to the "plain" non-widescreen 4:3 aspect ratio.

If user peterdk had his screen filled up, and the aspect ratio was being maintained (ie. he didn't notice any distortions), it means that the game is optimized for a 16:10 screen. Playing on a monitor with a lower/higher ratio than 16:10 will imply either distortion or letterboxing/pillarboxing.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #283

German reviews, and reaction to the game... How were they?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
The trailer has me a little concerned... is this game in widescreen? Trailer wasn't. Not a deal breaker but certainly disappointing if not.
Standard resolution is 4:3. Sadly, widescreen looks stretched out.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptin View Post
Standard resolution is 4:3. Sadly, widescreen looks stretched out.
Oh, bummer. Any internal option to keep the aspect ratio by pillarboxing?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #286
Strategy Guide Author

I can't believe developers are still making 4:3 games, especially with such beautiful artwork.

Disappointing and sort of baffling, but I'll still get it.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #287

Self quote!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
As a side note, those who design games in 4:3 in the new millennium and do not include a "keep aspect ratio" option should be flogged and lapidated in public.
Not that it should be taken literally, of course... but, still, you see my point
Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #288
J.H
Frak.

The English trailer is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9__Da0onSb8

Can't wait for the game now, although Sadwick's voice is not so great imo but we'll have to wait and see there's only a little audio from him in the trailer.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #289
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Can't wait for the game now, although Sadwick's voice is not so great imo but we'll have to wait and see there's only a little audio from him in the trailer.
Hmm, yeah. I'll have to agree with you. I wasn't impressed with Sadwick's voice in the trailer either. The animation, on the other hand, blows me away. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #290
Senior *female* member

It's the same type of voice as the German one and Sadwick opens his mouth only twice in the trailer. Even so, I agree. For now. I'll buy the English version anyway because I love the game.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by getawayblues View Post
German reviews, and reaction to the game... How were they?
They are very good, on average the game gets between 85% and 90%.
It won gold medals in the 2009 German Game Developer Award (Deutscher Entwicklerpreis) for both best story and best game for young people (Jugendspiel). On top of that Deadalic won the Studio of the Year award.
It also does very well in the best adventure for 2009 awards on the Adventure Treff web site, although it gets second in favour of The Book Of The Unwritten Tales.

Some quotes:
Adventure Corner (92%): It's not only the best German graphic adventure of all time, it is also the best adventure to come out in the past 12 years(!)
PCGames.de (85%): The Whispered World joys the player with love, humour and fantasy. It is funny and tragic at the same time.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #292

I prefer the German voice acting to the English one in the trailer. Sadwick has kinda a "weird" voice, true, but overall, the German voices were well acted and didn't sound like the actors recorded their lines separately, things I can't say about the English version. I hope it won't ruin the game too much for you.
And no, there's no "Keep aspect ratio" option. Maybe your graphic card driver supports it instead.

Last edited by ozzie; 03-27-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #293

It was the german voice of Sadwick that made me fall in love with this game. It's just so very funny, his depressed remarks.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #294

looks like English demo is out!!!
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/w...emo/35634.html
Old 04-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #295

English demo:

ftp://forum.deepsilver.com/downloads...ww-demo-en.exe
Old 04-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #296

nice, hope it works on my crap computer.

How long is the game? I'm sure some have finished the german version.. adventure games these days are so short.. like 7hours.

What happened to lengthy adventures? like Longest Journey?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #297
Senior *female* member

It's certainly not a short game. Quite long in fact, considering all the optional interactions with the environment.

I downloaded the demo and I think the English translation is quite good. I'm sure Steve Ince played a large part in that. I wish I could say the same about the voiceacting. It took me a while to get used to the German Sadwick, but I'm afraid I'll never get used to this one. There's a world of difference between the quality German voices and the exaggerated English voices with their unsubtle lisps, although I didn't like the German Ben either. You can actually hear the actors make a tremendous effort to be someone they are not. Sigh. And yes, it's like each sentence was recorded separately and then the lines were glued together with not enough breathing space in between. Annoying. Kills the immersion.

Last edited by Fien; 04-08-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #298

Yeah played the demo, the artwork is GORGEOUS. I wish more adventure games had such detailed 2D art!

Sadly, my God, the dialogue is terrible. If the voice acting wasn't already a mixed bag, why does the audio sound like a cut and paste job? I don't understand how a team could spend so much dedication to beautiful artwork and drop the ball so heavily elsewhere. :-(
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #299

The VA is pretty decent, but my god.. Sadwick is terrible.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #300

I was kind of afraid of the voice acting problem. I'll probably buy the game out of support but might not play it too much if I find the acting is unbearable.