You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #481
Bon
The Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
From what I have seen of it The Whispered World is a totally generic example of the genre, averagely executed.
You're horribly wrong about TWW. It's most definitely not a Monkey Island clone. It's pretty original when it comes to video games, tho it reminds me a bit of The Longest Journey only with more humor.

Btw, Monkey Island clones are awsome!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #482

Quote:
Does the German version of this game have English subtitles?
No, it doesn't.

And while I have to agree here that the game offers nothing special in terms of gameplay, there's still enough that makes it extraordinary, like the presentation, the graphics, music, the characters, the dialogues, the atmosphere, the mood.

If those things matter most to you, then this is your game. The gameplay is neither very original nor well executed. It has its moments of course, like the sequence where you control Spot or the one where you have to negotiate with the porter to let you to the train. Other puzzles are solid, some need creative thinking to solve, some are badly implemented and some just annoying retreads (the slider puzzle...ugh).

Last edited by ozzie; 05-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #483
Bon
The Tentacle

I liked the one with clock a lot. Simple, yet brilliant.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #484

I think that the use of Spot as an item, specially when changing it's shape within the same puzzle, is an original gameplay innovation. At least I haven't seen it done in this way in many other games. The art of the game is amazing, but I didn't really like the animated sequences, they didn't have the same feel of the game and I don't like that "photoshop brush" look. I'm not a fan of the self deprecating humor either, and the game is loaded with it, and I really hated when Sadwick whined (perhaps it was the voiceacting). Other than that I truly enjoyed the game and I would recommend it to any adventure fan, and I wasn't expecting a groundbreaking story from a fantasy game (a genre I particually don't care for, it was correct in this case). It's a great a game and I had a lot fun playing it, but perhaps nostalgia has something to do with this.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #485

Well, lots of people pointed out that Torin's Passage did something similar to Spot before. I never played the game, so I just believe it.
The clock puzzle...true, it was rather good, too. But personally, I thought it was a bit too hard to appear so early in the game. Well, TWW is for hardcore gamers anyway, so you should go with this expectation into the game. But that doesn't make all puzzles good, of course.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 AM   #486
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
No, it doesn't.

And while I have to agree here that the game offers nothing special in terms of gameplay, there's still enough that makes it extraordinary, like the presentation, the graphics, music, the characters, the dialogues, the atmosphere, the mood.

If those things matter most to you, then this is your game. The gameplay is neither very original nor well executed. It has its moments of course, like the sequence where you control Spot or the one where you have to negotiate with the porter to let you to the train. Other puzzles are solid, some need creative thinking to solve, some are badly implemented and some just annoying retreads (the slider puzzle...ugh).
Okay, thanks.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #487

Spoiler:
I think they could have made the ending a little more "foreseen" if the narrator was all over the game and not just in the cutscenes, and he would tell everything in the form of a story. for example, if Sadwick try something he's go "Sadwick tried to use X with Y, but it failed", and so on... quite frankly i miss narrators in adventure games, where have they gone to?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #488
Bon
The Tentacle

That would be dull. It would lead to repetition.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #489

Well, narrators came from the text adventures and the graphic adventures of Sierra also included them, since they basically inherited many conventions of interactive fiction.
LucasArts on the contrary used the protagonists to describe to you what you see and what's happening.
Weirdly, narrators did disappear from Sierra adventures after Grabiel Knight 1. I think with King's Quest 7 characters started commenting on everything. I have no idea why this decision was made.

But anyway, if you let the characters comment on every action then you can form a closer bond between the player and the avatar. On the other hand, it seems then like the avatar talks constantly to himself, which may result in weird situations if other characters are around, especially in serious games.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #490
Bon
The Tentacle

Well, they're talking to themselves in their head. Mouth opening is imaginary.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #491

seems like the lucasarts way of doing things really won in all aspects. most (if not all) adventure games nowadays have:
no narrators, characters talking to themselves.
hotspots instead of full interactive environment
conversation trees (most Sierra games didn't have those, the closest was "subject lists" seen in GK1 and LSL7, i think)
Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #492
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Well, narrators came from the text adventures and the graphic adventures of Sierra also included them, since they basically inherited many conventions of interactive fiction.
LucasArts on the contrary used the protagonists to describe to you what you see and what's happening.
Weirdly, narrators did disappear from Sierra adventures after Grabiel Knight 1. I think with King's Quest 7 characters started commenting on everything. I have no idea why this decision was made.

But anyway, if you let the characters comment on every action then you can form a closer bond between the player and the avatar. On the other hand, it seems then like the avatar talks constantly to himself, which may result in weird situations if other characters are around, especially in serious games.
I think the best way to do it in serious games would be to use the style in Broken Sword, how George is speaking in past tense in the background. Or how they did it in Indigo Prophecy, speaking in real time but in their thoughts.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 AM   #493
J.H
Frak.

Finally! I have my copy and I must say I'm loving it so far. It's the first adventure game I've played for a while that has me wanting to come back for more every time I'm at the PC.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #494
Jumping peanut on a stick

I just finished the game (been playing it on and off for more than a month) and.. wow! What a beautiful ride.
Brilliant imaginative world and characters, great dialogs.. and even the story (that I found a bit cliche at first) got completely new dimension and depth with its ending.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #495

That ending was something else, like I still see it in my head even though it has been over a month since I finished the game! The way Sadwick looked at the very end sort of haunts me. At the time it even made me try for a second ending, but...if you have been there you know how that worked out.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
I just finished the game (been playing it on and off for more than a month) and.. wow! What a beautiful ride.
Brilliant imaginative world and characters, great dialogs.. and even the story (that I found a bit cliche at first) got completely new dimension and depth with its ending.
I agree with everything you said, I even liked the voice acting.

You didn't mention the puzzles though, and when I factor those in, Whispered World is really, really bad. Most of the the puzzles were pretty easy, but the difficult ones were often illogical. I rarely resort to a walkthrough, but I did for some of the tougher puzzles in Whispered World. Very often I couldn't understand the logic of the puzzle even after I knew the solution.

Despite really enjoying the story (I'm about half way through I think), I'm not sure if I'll slog through to the end.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #497
Lazy Bee

I just started chapter three and have a question from chapter two:
Spoiler:
What about the horn in the first hut of the village? I couldn't make Sadwick use it before the chapter ended. Did I miss anything?

And just wanted to say that I'm so very much enjoying this game. I don't get to play for long hours, so I move quite slowly forward. It took me three days to solve Muluchai's (how was that spelled now again? ) puzzle. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. The puzzles overall suit me very well, illogical or not. So far I've only had to resort to a w/t once.

Speaking of illogical puzzles:
Spoiler:
I can't believe I actually put Spot in that pearl-mould. I was trying everything on everything when I realized that actually worked. At first I thought I had killed him.

Last edited by Jelena; 07-19-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #498
Bon
The Tentacle

Spoiler:
Yeah, that's pretty bad. There's no indication (as far as I remember) that being violent to Spot will make him change his form.

Overall, the puzzles, tho well imagined, are kind of ruined, which is a shame since mostly all they need is a bit more feedback.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #499

Default OMG Whispered World's <spoiler> stuck forever!

I loved that I found an adventure that didn't immediately took me to a walkthrough but this was impossible! I was checking it every night for 3 days and nothing and then what?

Spoiler:
USE FAT-FORM OF PET ON A STONE CONTAINER? [that any sane person would never think an INSECT would have the capacity to break it merely by standing on it] WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAA??????????????

That must have been the most irrational thing I've seen for a long time. It wasn't only that it was irrational, it's that the rest of the game wasn't that irrational

Anyway, beautiful game.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker View Post
I loved that I found an adventure that didn't immediately took me to a walkthrough but this was impossible! I was checking it every night for 3 days and nothing and then what?

Spoiler:
USE FAT-FORM OF PET ON A STONE CONTAINER? [that any sane person would never think an INSECT would have the capacity to break it merely by standing on it] WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAA??????????????

That must have been the most irrational thing I've seen for a long time. It wasn't only that it was irrational, it's that the rest of the game wasn't that irrational

Anyway, beautiful game.
Yeah that solution had me stumped for quite some time. Ended up getting that one from the famed try-all-inventory-on-everything-you-see technique .

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance