• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #43: Sinking Island

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Just finished Day One and the intrigue is growing! Smile  Looking forward to Day Two.

I know what you mean Tim, there’s defo a couple pixel-hunty spots that I could have completely missed were it not for good fortune.  The location with the torn suit fragment, for example.

I did consult a walkthrough for the second and third mandates as I just couldn’t figure out which clues it wanted me to piece together (one off in each case).

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 19 August 2017 07:12 PM

Finished Day One. Took a nap. Looking forward to Monday’s instructions.

The hotspot sensitivity is frustrating. I doubt I could have finished the third mandate if I didn’t go back and do a pixel sweep of every location. And, with a 28” monitor, that’s a tedious process. I swear that when I was in Lorenzo’s office I found a hotspot only when searching the bottom drawer. On what seemed like the gazzillionth visit I found a hotspot in the top drawer. And that allowed me to ask everyone some more questions that eventually allowed me to fill in one of the DEC-laration boxes. I’m enjoying the game, but it seems like such a PITA at times.

That is a common complaint I have in all Benoit Sokal games. I remember in the Syberia 2 CPT being stuck for a couple of days because I didn’t see a hotspot in the top of the screen. I usually feel really guilty when I use a walkthrough, and so I try to scan every single screen pixel, although that sucks the fun out of the game.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

dumbeur - 19 August 2017 07:35 PM

Just finished Day One and the intrigue is growing! Smile  Looking forward to Day Two.

I know what you mean Tim, there’s defo a couple pixel-hunty spots that I could have completely missed were it not for good fortune.  The location with the torn suit fragment, for example.

I did consult a walkthrough for the second and third mandates as I just couldn’t figure out which clues it wanted me to piece together (one off in each case).

I agree totally. The solution can’t be a Lorenzo statement. It must be Lorenzo’s Dec-laration #8. And, of course you get no feedback, e.g., four out of six are correct. So it seems, at times, like a random crap shoot.

In a “nine-box” solution you probably know that maybe five or six items “have” to be in the mix. From there on out, it seems like it is a simple process of elimination. Except that it isn’t simple because the permutations and combinations of every bit of character dialog is endless. I think you might be able to go through the game and collect all the clues without a walkthrough. (I wasn’t.) But I’m not sure filling out the Mandate box is possible without one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It depends how much time you want to spend experimenting Tim but I would agree that the info needed to complete those mandates are VERY picky!

It does seem that we’ve all completed Day 1 apart from FireFlower (where are you?) & possibly our leader! Izno, we’re all ready when you are!    Laughing

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 20 August 2017 01:31 PM

It depends how much time you want to spend experimenting Tim but I would agree the at the info needed to complete those mandates are VERY picky!

It does seem that we’ve all completed Day 1 apart from FireFlower (where are you?) & possibly our leader! Izno, we’re all ready when you are!    Laughing

Patience young grasshopper Tongue

I still need to find a natural stopping point for day 2, so the next part won’t start until tomorrow - as scheduled!

As for the mandate evidence part, then I actually really like it.
It can be a bit picky, as these things always are, but apart from mandate 2, where I was unsure about 2 of the slots and 4 pieces of evidence, then I have found it pretty obvious which evidence to use.
But I have of course also played the game before, and even if I can’t remember everything, then there is still things lingering at the back of my mind.

Whenever I get a new piece of evidence that I think might work on a mandate, then I immediately add it to the proper slot, even if I have to change active mandate first. Also whenever I get a new mandate, I immediately go through all my existing evidence, to see if there is anything that might apply. That way I’m not suddenly charged with finding 9 pieces of evidence, but spread the task out a bit.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think I more agree with SoccerDude. If the process “sucks the fun out of the game”, then something is wrong.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

SoccerDude28 - 19 August 2017 07:55 PM

The hotspot sensitivity is frustrating. I doubt I could have finished the third mandate if I didn’t go back and do a pixel sweep of every location. And, with a 28” monitor, that’s a tedious process. I swear that when I was in Lorenzo’s office I found a hotspot only when searching the bottom drawer. On what seemed like the gazzillionth visit I found a hotspot in the top drawer. And that allowed me to ask everyone some more questions that eventually allowed me to fill in one of the DEC-laration boxes. I’m enjoying the game, but it seems like such a PITA at times.

That is a common complaint I have in all Benoit Sokal games. I remember in the Syberia 2 CPT being stuck for a couple of days because I didn’t see a hotspot in the top of the screen. I usually feel really guilty when I use a walkthrough, and so I try to scan every single screen pixel, although that sucks the fun out of the game.

I played Syberia and Sinking Island, and while I generally like Sokal’s games, my “problem” with it was of a different nature - I didn’t have problem with pixel hunting, but I always wished for more hot-spots. Every location in these games is a small piece of art, but they’re too desolate - it indeed comes with the unique, almost melancholy style, but I still wished to explore it in more detail. In Sinking Island, if I remember correctly, there are several screens without a single or just one hot-spot in it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 20 August 2017 10:07 PM
SoccerDude28 - 19 August 2017 07:55 PM

I played Syberia and Sinking Island, and while I generally like Sokal’s games, my “problem” with it was of a different nature - I didn’t have problem with pixel hunting, but I always wished for more hot-spots. Every location in these games is a small piece of art, but they’re too desolate - it indeed comes with the unique, almost melancholy style, but I still wished to explore it in more detail. In Sinking Island, if I remember correctly, there are several screens without a single or just one hot-spot in it.

I like that about Sokal games. They are designed to be more visual experiences, rather than verbal with your character commenting on every single item on the screen. They are probably closer to Journeyman Project or Myst than they are to Monkey Island or Broken Sword.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Part 3 - Day 2

It is now time to wake up and get started on a fresh new day - Day 2 of the game.
As some of you might already have suspected, our movements around the island is going to be somewhat restricted, the good news being that it also means less running Wink

You have until Monday evening (CEST) the 28th of August to complete the first part of Day2, and you should stop when Jack decides that he is hungry, and go to get some lunch!

You should be able to solve the first mandate of the day relative quickly and easily:
4. What was the cause of W. Jones’s death?

Personally I also managed to solve two more mandates in this part:
7. What was the crime weapon?
8. Where was the shot fired from?

And made significant progress on two more:
5. Was the chain that W. Jones wore around his neck stolen? If so by whom?
9. Who seems to be a good marksman?

And if things go as I have planned, you should also discover the first big plot twist Wink in this part, though I can’t guarantee that.

HAVE FUN!

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Life and work got in the way so not sure I will be able to continue at the moment. Sorry. Hopefully I can continue playing this interesting game later on.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I started the next part and solved 3 mandates pretty fast but they were simple. Surprised the water level rised so fast but glad to not have to walk around everywhere.
The evidences already used not needed should just disappear, things are getting cluttered.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Iznogood - 21 August 2017 04:43 PM

Personally I also managed to solve two more mandates in this part:
7. What was the crime weapon?

And made significant progress on two more:
9. Who seems to be a good marksman?

And if things go as I have planned, you should also discover the first big plot twist Wink in this part, though I can’t guarantee that.

HAVE FUN!

I actually got to lunch by finishing:

I also made significant progress on mandate 6

I still haven’t finished 7. What was the crime weapon?

I guess you can take different order in solving these mandates? Makes it a little tricky I guess to all be on the same page without spoilers.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

FireFlower - 22 August 2017 06:04 AM

Life and work got in the way so not sure I will be able to continue at the moment. Sorry. Hopefully I can continue playing this interesting game later on.

No Worries, real life has a habit of getting in way of all the fun Wink

wilco - 22 August 2017 09:03 AM

I started the next part and solved 3 mandates pretty fast but they were simple. Surprised the water level rised so fast but glad to not have to walk around everywhere.
The evidences already used not needed should just disappear, things are getting cluttered.

Remember it is called Sinking Island not Flooded Island!

And yeah, the evidence is beginning to pile up, I’m however not sure if I would want documents or statements to disappear from the clue inventor, as I might want to read those again.

SoccerDude28 - 22 August 2017 08:41 PM

I guess you can take different order in solving these mandates? Makes it a little tricky I guess to all be on the same page without spoilers.

Yes, especially here on day 2, but at the end of the day we should all have solved the same mandates.

BTW did you stumble upon something that might qualify as a plot twist yet?

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Iznogood - 23 August 2017 02:58 AM

BTW did you stumble upon something that might qualify as a plot twist yet?

Not sure what you are referring to. Are you referring to the fact that:
Walter Jones was going to marry Baina and disinherit his grand children? or is it something else that has to do with: who the culprit is? I still have no idea who it might be.

By the way, the game has picked up, and I find it hard to stop playing because I’m itching to unravel more of the mystery.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yep, I’ve just done my sword swallowing trick with a baguette for lunch on day 2!

By the sound of things I made exactly the same progress as Izno in terms of completing mandates at least. However, I cannot even see what Mandate 6 is (despite having solved 7 & 8 and being able to see the questions for 9 and 10) so I presume there’s something I haven’t done yet.

By the way, the game has picked up, and I find it hard to stop playing because I’m itching to unravel more of the mystery.

Completely agree with this. Day 1 was a bit tricky to get into, things seemed a bit too spaced out, but now things are starting to happen! 

Especially the discovery of the wedding rings in Sonya’s luggage. At first I wondered if this meant they were already married. I mean if marriage is something you’re still planning on then an engagement ring would be more appropriate. But I suppose that if they had been married then Baina would have one of the wedding rings. At any rate I suppose this shows that it was something he planned to do really soon so is good motive for a quick murder!

There are still some downsides, like the repeated lines when trying inventory items on things (I nearly went mad with Jack telling me that was another Winchester rifle again and again when I was trying inventory items on it!)

Also - and I promise I will try and shut up about this from now on - terrible, terrible English in places.

Looking forward to carrying on with this one for sure, roll on next Monday night!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top