• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #43: Sinking Island

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 17 August 2017 06:39 PM

I thought I had done just about everything I could think of to solve the second mandate. Turns out I was right. I found a walkthrough and I am missing one item: A picture of Nolent’s shoes. I am with him in the Library, and no amount of conversation brings up a prompt to photograph his shoes. So, I am stymied as to what to do next. Hint would be appreciated! I am already close to six hours into a section that was only supposed to take two hours. Not an auspicious start!

I think this is what you missed: When you walk from the beach to the hotel there is a gate you walk through. Right under the gate there are footprints.

My second hint would be to lay off the walkthroughs. The game is much more enjoyable that way!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

cyfoyjvx - 17 August 2017 08:40 PM
rtrooney - 17 August 2017 06:39 PM

I thought I had done just about everything I could think of to solve the second mandate. Turns out I was right. I found a walkthrough and I am missing one item: A picture of Nolent’s shoes. I am with him in the Library, and no amount of conversation brings up a prompt to photograph his shoes. So, I am stymied as to what to do next. Hint would be appreciated! I am already close to six hours into a section that was only supposed to take two hours. Not an auspicious start!

I think this is what you missed: When you walk from the beach to the hotel there is a gate you walk through. Right under the gate there are footprints.

My second hint would be to lay off the walkthroughs. The game is much more enjoyable that way!

This Location:

Once you have pictures of both footprints (shoe and barefoot, automatically takes two pictures iirc), you can ask everybody to take a picture of their shoes, and compare them to these two pictures.

Note: This game mainly consists of finding and collection physical evidence or inventory items, talking to people and using the PPA to analyse and present evidence, the first however requires a bit of pixel hunting, as there is no hotspot highlighter and the items don’t always clearly stand out from the background.

If anybody gets stuck, it is most likely because there is some item, evidence or exit that you haven’t found.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Intense Degree - 17 August 2017 04:29 AM

Also, surely I can’t be the only one who thinks…

I don’t see it .. I mean sure they look alike in that picture, but in the right light from the right angle with the right lens, I can also look like either Danny DeVito or Brat Pitt Content
Compare with another picture of Schwarzenegger, and there is almost zero similarities.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I managed to finish this morning. Re: Using a walkthrough ... If I hadn’t used a walkthrough, I wouldn’t have found out what the single piece was that I was missing. I would have likely thrown in the towel at that point. And that would have been even less fun.

I must have retraced that path at least six times trying to find what I had missed. Never did I hit the right spot to activate the magnifying glass. That ticks me off!

Now I’m off to find the message that tells what to do next. Although that will have to wait until this evening as RL is going to interrupt for a few hours.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Sorry for being a little behind, but I am catching up fast. I already solved the second mandate, but I haven’t reached to the end of day 1 yet.

Just a few notes and nitpickings:

- The game is WAY too talkative. I don’t mind conversations in adventure games but in here, I feel it is excessive.

- The animations in the close up conversations are all identical. It feels weird having all the characters nod and move the same way when you talk to them.

- Is Jack Norm a parrot? He repeats the same exact questions with every single character he asks.

- Why is there no skip line shortcut? The right mouse button skips the whole question, and I had to reload a couple of times because I accidentally skipped through a question.

- This game is in desperate need of a map. There are many areas which are empty, and moving around can be a chore.

On the bright side, the story is intriguing and I am curious to know more.

Edit: Finished the third mandate and day 1. I am ready for the next part.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 08 August 2017 03:03 AM

Okay there is no need to delay things any longer, lets get started.

You should play until you have had a bite to eat and receive the first phone call from your wife!

This should happen about halfway through day 1, though that depends entirely on how fast or slow you are playing, as it is a timed event. (For me it actually happened right in the middle of a conversation with someone Shifty Eyed)

You have almost one week until Monday evening (CEST) the 14th of August to complete this part.

OK! I achieved this goal long ago. JN’s video of munching a baguette as “lunch” was not convincing. Also got wifey’s phone call.

So I am confused. I thought this was where the first week should end. Then I started reading messages from players who finished the second mandate, and thought that was where they thought the current episode should end. And now I read that someone has finished Day One, assuming that is where he thought the episode was supposed to end.

So now I have finished mandate two. and I’m still behind?

Please clarify. Where are we?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 18 August 2017 08:41 PM

So now I have finished mandate two. and I’m still behind?

Not behind, as you have until Monday to reach the end of Day 1.

Iznogood - 14 August 2017 03:01 PM

You should play until the end of day one.

You have one week until Monday evening (CEST) the 21st of August to complete this part.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Because my wife and I had time this week to play, and I’ not sure we’ll have as much time next week, we went on ahead into day 2. But now we’re completely stuck. I’ve combed all screens for exits and hotpots, tried everything with the hotspots I found, and exhausted all dialog options, but I must still be missing something. I hope somebody can give me a gentle nudge towards what I’m missing if I describe my situation.

If you haven’t completed day 2 yet (and there’s no reason why you should, as Iznogood has given us until next Monday to finish day 1), you will probably not want to read what’s between the spoiler tags.

Currently I have in my inventory: a screwdriver, a blowtorch, protective gloves, a pad of paper, graphite powder a knife and a high-level access card.

Available mandates that are unsolved are: By whom was the chain stolen? Who seems to be a good marksman?, and Who were the last people to go into the library?

Hotspots I cannot do anything with at the moment: Some sort of container in the Technical Workshop (there appear to be some screws, but I haven’t got a wrench, and there are no monkeys around either). The safe in De Nolent’s suite (only inventory item that gives a non-standard response is the blowtorch, but apparently the protective gloves are not enough protection to use it). The locked drawers in Walter Jones’s office. The books in the library (I guess this will make more sense after finding something in the locked drawers or Walter Jones’s suite).

So, what is it that I missed so far? Any locations I should have visited where some more objects can be found? Is there a way to combine inventory items? Just a small hint would be appreciated, no need for walkthrough-style descriptions.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

kabouter - 19 August 2017 08:56 AM

Because my wife and I had time this week to play, and I’ not sure we’ll have as much time next week, we went on ahead into day 2. But now we’re completely stuck. I’ve combed all screens for exits and hotpots, tried everything with the hotspots I found, and exhausted all dialog options, but I must still be missing something. I hope somebody can give me a gentle nudge towards what I’m missing if I describe my situation.

If you haven’t completed day 2 yet (and there’s no reason why you should, as Iznogood has given us until next Monday to finish day 1), you will probably not want to read what’s between the spoiler tags.

Currently I have in my inventory: a screwdriver, a blowtorch, protective gloves, a pad of paper, graphite powder a knife and a high-level access card.

Available mandates that are unsolved are: By whom was the chain stolen? Who seems to be a good marksman?, and Who were the last people to go into the library?

Hotspots I cannot do anything with at the moment: Some sort of container in the Technical Workshop (there appear to be some screws, but I haven’t got a wrench, and there are no monkeys around either). The safe in De Nolent’s suite (only inventory item that gives a non-standard response is the blowtorch, but apparently the protective gloves are not enough protection to use it). The locked drawers in Walter Jones’s office. The books in the library (I guess this will make more sense after finding something in the locked drawers or Walter Jones’s suite).

So, what is it that I missed so far? Any locations I should have visited where some more objects can be found? Is there a way to combine inventory items? Just a small hint would be appreciated, no need for walkthrough-style descriptions.

Can you go back to the crime scene? Looking at your inventory I think you may have missed something there.

Failing that, there is a way to open WJ’s desk drawers with what you already have.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

cyfoyjvx - 19 August 2017 09:55 AM

Can you go back to the crime scene? Looking at your inventory I think you may have missed something there.

Is there a way to go outside the tower on day 2? The whole first floor and island appear to be flooded and Jack Norm does not start swimming.

cyfoyjvx - 19 August 2017 09:55 AM

Failing that, there is a way to open WJ’s desk drawers with what you already have.

I’ve tried all items in my inventory on both the drawers and the red light next to them, but no luck. And I don’t see any other hotspots around the desk apart from the unlocked drawers that I’ve already emptied.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

kabouter - 19 August 2017 10:06 AM

I’ve tried all items in my inventory on both the drawers and the red light next to them, but no luck. And I don’t see any other hotspots around the desk apart from the unlocked drawers that I’ve already emptied.

Check the UHS hints here for the drawer.
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/sinking-island/86.php

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

crabapple - 19 August 2017 11:02 AM

Check the UHS hints here for the drawer.
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/sinking-island/86.php

That helped to solve that problem. Apparently we always thought the hotspot for the back of the drawers was just part of the large hotspot for the desk. Once I knew it should be possible to look at the other side, the solution was obvious. Should it be possible to immediately get into the drawer that is stuck? Or do you need something from another place that isn’t accessible to us yet?

We have now solved the mandate about who is a good marksman. But we’re still missing something to get to the key on Walter Jones’s chain. Perhaps another hotspot we missed… Jack Norm has to be master pixel-hunter to crack the case Wink

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

kabouter - 19 August 2017 08:56 AM

I haven’t read everything in spoilers, as I haven’t played day 2 myself yet.

BUT there is more inventory items you can pick up where you found the blowtorch. With all of them, you should have a full welding kit.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Iznogood - 19 August 2017 11:51 AM

BUT there is more inventory items you can pick up where you found the blowtorch. With all of them, you should have a full welding kit.

Thanks, that was what I needed. Another hotspot missed before (pretty small this one).

Somehow in detective games pixel-hunting isn’t as out of place as in other point-and-clicks - it is about meticulously searching for clues after all - but it still is an annoying gameplay element!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Day One. Took a nap. Looking forward to Monday’s instructions.

The hotspot sensitivity is frustrating. I doubt I could have finished the third mandate if I didn’t go back and do a pixel sweep of every location. And, with a 28” monitor, that’s a tedious process. I swear that when I was in Lorenzo’s office I found a hotspot only when searching the bottom drawer. On what seemed like the gazzillionth visit I found a hotspot in the top drawer. And that allowed me to ask everyone some more questions that eventually allowed me to fill in one of the DEC-laration boxes. I’m enjoying the game, but it seems like such a PITA at times.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top