• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #42: Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I seem to have hit a roadblock. I found the oasis and have assembled the piece of apparatus. However, yes, (I resorted to a walkthrough when I appeared to be stuck,) I seem to be missing a worm, specifically an agave worm. And since I haven’t seen any agave plants it must be in a bottle. Return to the bar. Look at the drink menu. Nothing happens, and Kev is no longer tending the bar. Rita only wants to talk about your date. How do I get the bottle? Or am I screwed?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 05 June 2017 04:34 PM

I seem to have hit a roadblock. I found the oasis and have assembled the piece of apparatus. However, yes, (I resorted to a walkthrough when I appeared to be stuck,) I seem to be missing a worm, specifically an agave worm. And since I haven’t seen any agave plants it must be in a bottle. Return to the bar. Look at the drink menu. Nothing happens, and Kev is no longer tending the bar. Rita only wants to talk about your date. How do I get the bottle? Or am I screwed?

Hmm.. does Kev reappear if you exit and re-enter the saloon? He usually does for me.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I just finished ACT 1 and caught up with you guys. Sorry was a little busy last week but hopefully I can keep up with the pace now.

I completely love this game. It reminds me a lot of Leisure Suit Larry. Since it really looks and feels like a Sierra game,I was worried that I will use something that will lead to a dead end (Sierra style), so I was saving a lot, but it seems that there are no dead ends.

I am just surprised at the overwhelming number of objects you can interact with. Even 2 bushes in two different screens will get different comments from the narrator. And the narrator is actually quite witty and funny. Most of the puns are on point and left me smiling. I just looked at and tried to use every single object in the game. The cemetery quotes specifically are hilarious.

Here is one of the earliest funny quotes:

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 29 May 2017 07:26 PM

I’ve played the game before, so I am not as obsessed with points as I was the first time. E.g. you get a point, I think, for every tombstone you read. I’ve read them before. I know they are all funny. So if I don’t read three of them and end up with 497 points, I won’t be disappointed.

I’ve been to my room, broke the key and decided to take a break. I know the sessions are long. But I think each act is somewhere around 2.5 hours long. So, if I can get in 30-45 minutes a day between now and Friday, I should be in good shape. (I hope.)

I did try to click on all the tombstones, and he only gives you points for the relevant one. So far it seems that all the points I have accumulated are from doing important things in the game like picking up stuff, using stuff on others, or some important piece of conversation that moved the story forwards. Basically all the points tied to moving the game forward. And I did try to look and use everything in sight. Is that right, or am I missing some points here and there?

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Also anyone got achievements? I got 3 so far Grin. Pretty fun stuff.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oscar - 05 June 2017 09:53 PM

Hmm.. does Kev reappear if you exit and re-enter the saloon? He usually does for me.

That kind of worked. Leaving the bar and re-entering let me talk with Rita on non-date-related topics, so I got me my worm!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 06 June 2017 05:10 PM

I don’t remember any “achievements” being in the game the first time I played it. And I haven’t “achieved” anything playing the updated game. Could this be a Steam-only thing?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 06 June 2017 06:20 PM
SoccerDude28 - 06 June 2017 05:10 PM

I don’t remember any “achievements” being in the game the first time I played it. And I haven’t “achieved” anything playing the updated game. Could this be a Steam-only thing?

I am not playing the Steam version but ratherg the DRM-free version from fireflower games here:
http://fireflowergames.com/shop/al-emmo-and-the-lost-dutchmans-mine/

When you start the game, on the main screen, you do not see Achievements as one of the options? I am attaching a screenshot to highlight what I am talking about.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

To be honest, I never saw that. Pan I opened the screen, and all the possible achievements are listed. Not going to start from scratch to get the ones I missed, but will be more cognizant of them in the future.

I will say though, I play my fair share of casual games, which is no secret. And they come loaded with achievements, and the notification of same is often a distraction. So I tend to ignore them.

Maybe a little subliminal ignoring. Other than that, I have no defense for my oversight.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Managed to finish Act 2 this afternoon. A few people have compared this to LSL games. I agree, but one comparison has been missing. The amount of WALKING. Yes, there is an interactive map, but a location only appears once you’ve been there. And I’m not even sure about that. I’ve seen one location that I discovered just by wandering around. It’s what looks like a vertical mine shaft with a collapsed bridge. It doesn’t appear on my map….yet. Maybe you have to perform some sort of action at a location in order for it to appear on your map. On the other hand, I wasn’t able to perform any action when I initially visited the Oasis, but it immediately appeared on my map. Still…a great game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

What’s happened to our female contingent? Chrissie and Lady K have gone walkabout it seems… Frown

I found Part 2 extremely short. I’m not sure why that is. Maybe I solved some of the puzzles earlier.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m still here!  Smile I’m hoping to have finished Act 2 by the deadline tomorrow!

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I never did notice the achievements icon at the top. I looked at it today and I only have a few with an x by them. so, how do we find the achievements?

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

mbday630 - 09 June 2017 03:44 PM

I never did notice the achievements icon at the top. I looked at it today and I only have a few with an x by them. so, how do we find the achievements?

There is a list of the achievements in the game and what you need to get them. (For example, reading every single quote from the cemetery). Usually, when you get an achievement, the game pops up a small message saying you got it. If you are not careful you might miss it. For consoles where the idea of achievements in games originated, they also have a sound effect as well to grab your attention.

On another note I finished chapter 2. I got stuck for the longest time because I didn’t know that the location where you find the cactus with the hooks is accessible.
I knew I needed a hook for the rod, so I clicked on every cactus plant around(and there are MANY cacti in the game), but couldn’t find anything
. The hit rectangle for showing the exit cursor is too small. I think the game could do better with showing you which areas can be walked to and which ones are not accessible. Besides that it was fairly straightforward and like Oscar said, very short. Did anyone notice that both the daffodil and the chili sauce are useless items in your inventory? You can feed the daffodil to the mule or give it to Rita,and it’s gone. Also the chili sauce is missing from your inventory in the beginning of chapter 3. It’s an interesting design decision to include inventory items that are not usable.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I have played this game many times and never figured out where the chili sauce went to so please, if someone figures it out, let me know!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top