• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleGabrielJdawg445Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #42: Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Previous post has been added to the first post in the thread.

chrissie - 27 May 2017 03:39 PM

I’ve watched the intro, spent a couple hours exploring & picked up quite a few items but other than that I’ve not really progressed. I’d forgotten how many locations there are & how challenging I’d found the game 1st time around!    Smile

That’s great!! I’d encourage everyone to comment on his/her progress and ask for help first without resorting to walkthrough - Al Emmo is not an easy game, because it’s not an “enclosed” kind of game, and there’re many possibilities, so feel free to experiment!! The narrator certainly won’t mind! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Another tip:

When you hold an inventory item (circled in red), you’ll see a small white circle at the the upper-left corner of an object (circled in blue), and this the spot that you wanna match with an object in the background (or a person) when using items.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t remember enjoying the game this much last time, but it’s really very good. The narrator, unlike Space Quest, never rambles on for too long, and it’s not overly reliant on sex jokes - unlike Larry.

BitingWit - 28 May 2017 06:29 PM

I’ve started playing, great game so far! I’m up to 82 points, having gotten into my room and removed the dog but have kind of lost the trail of what I’m supposed to be doing. Maybe I’ll just keep wandering.

One general piece of advice when you’re stuck is to try talking to everyone again. Sometimes they have something new to say, which moves things along.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 29 May 2017 05:12 PM

I don’t remember enjoying the game this much last time, but it’s really very good. The narrator, unlike Space Quest, never rambles on for too long, and it’s not overly reliant on sex jokes - unlike Larry.

He’ll have his share of sleazy jokes if I remember correctly Grin, but you’re absolutely right - you may not like this guy or his jokes every time, but it’s a big part of makes this game alive , and every background like a breathing mini-world (just tried several options at the Koko store - hilarious Grin )

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve played the game before, so I am not as obsessed with points as I was the first time. E.g. you get a point, I think, for every tombstone you read. I’ve read them before. I know they are all funny. So if I don’t read three of them and end up with 497 points, I won’t be disappointed.

I’ve been to my room, broke the key and decided to take a break. I know the sessions are long. But I think each act is somewhere around 2.5 hours long. So, if I can get in 30-45 minutes a day between now and Friday, I should be in good shape. (I hope.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 29 May 2017 07:01 PM
Oscar - 29 May 2017 05:12 PM

He’ll have his share of sleazy jokes if I remember correctly Grin, but you’re absolutely right - you may not like this guy or his jokes every time, but it’s a big part of makes this game alive , and every background like a breathing mini-world (just tried several options at the Koko store - hilarious Grin )

I have no problem with sleazy jokes, it’s just in LSL the jokes are 99% sleazy. It gets kind of tiresome. There’s a nice balance in Al Emmo.

I’m at Act 2 already. Not finding the puzzles hard at all this time. They’re all fair and logical.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ll drop quotes here and there as we go along. Try to spot these! Here’s an easy one:

Act 1 quote: Bubba is the proprietor of Bubba’s Barn. He takes no crap from anyone or anything - except his horses.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oscar - 29 May 2017 07:30 PM

I’m at Act 2 already. Not finding the puzzles hard at all this time. They’re all fair and logical.

I thought we were supposed to stop when we hit the end of Act 1.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 29 May 2017 10:28 PM
Oscar - 29 May 2017 07:30 PM

I thought we were supposed to stop when we hit the end of Act 1.

I have. I was just saying I finished Act 1. Unfortunately there is no way to have finished Act 1 and save your game without starting Act 2. Tongue

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

diego - 29 May 2017 07:57 PM

I’ll drop quotes here and there as we go along. Try to spot these! Here’s an easy one:

Act 1 quote: Bubba is the proprietor of Bubba’s Barn. He takes no crap from anyone or anything - except his horses.

Grin

I loved this quote!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Grin (my current progress, BTW)

I love how many of the backgrounds have a thing sticking out in front… like a cactus, fence with a horse saddle, a house… And those small animations like a dust wave moving on a sunlight really brings these western locations to life!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Act 1. It was harder than I remembered it. Lot’s of “What do I do now?” - type situations. One being Overlooking the empty flask at KoKo’s. Why can’t you simply wash the bone in the fountain water rather than needing a flask of fountain water?

I do remember one mechanic that I found strange, at least on my system. That being that adjacent screens don’t seamlessly scroll. You need to find the Exit to move from one to the other. I also didn’t remember that you need to be in “walk icon” mode for the map to appear.

Still, enjoying it as much as I hoped I would.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Anyone know if the Gamersgate version of Al Emmo is the current updated version of the game? I bought it way back from there and I just loathed the voice acting on the original version, but apparently, they’ve re-dubbed Al now and he’s far more bearable,

I tried to DL the game again from there, but from some reason, it fails every time and to my knowledge, they don’t offer a Steam key for it there.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I washed the bone in the fountain water.  I wonder if that is a glitch in some of the games?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

mbday630 - 31 May 2017 04:53 PM

I washed the bone in the fountain water.  I wonder if that is a glitch in some of the games?

Don’t know. I’m playing the updated version of the game. I know I have a disk of the original running around here somewhere. I suppose it’s possible that the original planned to use the flask for something, but the puzzle never made it to the final game. If that’s the case, they might have thought the update needed to find a use for the flask, and bone washing was it. No was to tell for sure other than finding the original game, playing it and seeing what happens at the fountain. I might consider that, but only after the playthrough is complete.

I added the spoiler tags to your post so we don’t give away anything to anyone who hasn’t gotten to this part yet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top