• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Touche sounds like a wonderful game. I want to vote for it.

But right now I have only two options. One of which is to spend large sums to purchase a legitimate copy. The other is to take advantage of the abandonware sites. I don’t want to do that either. Is it pretty much a given that if this game wins, only those that already have a copy will be able to play?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 08 December 2015 08:26 PM

Touche sounds like a wonderful game. I want to vote for it.

But right now I have only two options. One of which is to spend large sums to purchase a legitimate copy.

You could sell the game again when the CP is over. I have done this in the past. (Not recently.) Sometimes you lose some money, which is the price you pay for playing the game, but you might even make a small profit. 

The other is to take advantage of the abandonware sites. I don’t want to do that either. Is it pretty much a given that if this game wins, only those that already have a copy will be able to play?

I agree with mart.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I have to echo mart on this. I don’t understand the extreme opposition to using Abandonware sites in the case of out of print games. If a game is completely out of print, and some person is selling it for a fortune on eBay, what’s the harm to the developer if you get it from the Abandonware site? The developers are not getting any cent anyway from the 200+ dollars you are paying for it on eBay. If the developer ever puts it on GOG or another website in the future, support them by buying it then. Or if you feel super guilty about it, and the developer is still in business and has a newer game that they actually make money from, support them by buying it instead.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If by agreeing with Mart you mean I can absolve my abandonware sins by purchasing another old, but not yet abandoned game on GOG, I consider that to be a fair deal.

It may keep me in purgatory a bit longer, but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

There is a problem with the abandonware sites beyond the legality (or lack of it).
I checked a couple of the sites Google found, and the size of the download was 16 MB.

Now I don’t have an original CD. I have a copy of a copy that I burned back in 2002, when an online friend loaned me their copy of the game (which turned out to be on a CDR).

Anyway, the iso of that CDR is 368.3 MB—quite a bit more than 16 MB. So what are those 16 MB downloads missing? Is the 16 MB a demo? Is it a stripped-down version of the game without sound or cut scenes? Clearly it’s not the whole game.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m trying to contact the original developers as to see their thoughts on the matter. The guy who did some of the programming and the music (famous C64 composer Ben Daglish) and the lady who did the writing are a married couple now and I found them on FB, so I expect a quick answer from them.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@diego Ha, that’s smart, as Daglish is a relaxed guy. I guess Graham Lilley (Clipper Software) also won’t mind at all, as he is a nice guy (he is from Birmingham, UK), and certainly he would be delighted to hear that people are interested in one of his games (don’t know though if he is still with us). It was sad to see it went so bad with the Touché game. You are quite aware of course that your action may have another great side-effect (Daglish joining the CP, if it gets enough votes - would be nice to hear some anecdotes or secrets). Smile

@crabapple. Indeed, 16 mb isn’t ok, sounds like a demo, but the T demo was more than 35 Mb I believe. Guess you are right that they have stripped the game - left out the voices and some of the animations as well. The iso size sounds much better; the game files are about 385 MB. 

@rtrooney you made me laugh (purgatory).

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, that was quick:

Hi,

I suppose you’re Ben Daglish who was involved in making of Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer?

We’re a bunch of adventure gamers here on adventure gamers forum - http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2683/P45/#102567 and we’re having a discussion whether it’s righteous to use an abandonware in order to have a community playthrough of Touche, since it’s not available on GOG or any other sites, save for Ebay where it’s worth a shipload of money. What do you have to say on the matter? Would it be OK, in your view, if someone was using an abandonware site, and pay later IF the game arrives on GOG, or pay for another game?

Hi,
  That’s absolutely fine as far as I’m concerned. I think, like all these things, it had its life, it made its profit, and now, it’s fair game, as it were. I haven’t spoken to Graham Lilley in years, but I’m sure he’d feel the same way.

Cheers,
  Ben

I found Ben here. I’m also trying to get in touch with Graham Lilley.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

updated
8 J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars: Iznogood (leader), Noddy, TimovieMan, Sefir, Becky, Jabod, Mikekelly, SoccerDude28
8 Touche: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer: diego (leader), chrissie, SoccerDude28, Karlok, Sefir, wilco, mart, TimovieMan(?)
6 Contradiction:chrissie (leader), Karlok, TimovieMan, Sefir, Becky, Mikeklly
6 The Moment of Silence: Iznogood, Sefir, TimovieMan, Becky, SoccerDude28, Mikekelly
6 Shadow of the Comet: Karlok, Sefir, TimovieMan, wilco, mart, SoccerDude28
5 Hotel Dusk: TimovieMan (leader), Mikekelly (alternative leader), Karlok, SoccerDude28, wilco,
5 Resonance: Sefir (leader), Nelza, Noddy, TimovieMan, chrissie
4 Death Gate (after Xmas): wilco (leader), Sefir, Karlok, TimovieMan
4 Machinarium/Botanicula: Sefir (leader), Mikekelly, Noddy, TimovieMan
4 Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality: Iznogood (leader), Sefir, millenia, Becky
4 Myst III Exile: Sefir (leader), Noddy, Becky, Lady Kestrel

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Great detective work, Diego. I guess the quest now is to find a legitimate abandonware site, (pardon the non sequitor) that can provide a full version of the game. Unlike the sites crabapple has found so far. If that happens, the game will have my vote.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@rtrooney If crabapple decides to vote/replay as well, he is perhaps willing to upload the iso file. But I can also upload the game. (Note though that older versions need a fix).

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

mart - 09 December 2015 10:59 AM

@rtrooney If crabapple decides to vote/replay as well, he is perhaps willing to upload the iso file. But I can also upload the game. (Note though that older versions need a fix).

I’m not going to vote. I’ll let other members decide what they want to play.
I still haven’t found time to finish ASA, though I hope to finish during upcoming vacation time.

I don’t know if my copy of Touche is the older version or not.
The date on the Touche.exe file is November 02, 1995.
The date on the Launcher.exe file is January 08, 1996.
Can you tell from that?

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

OK understood (hoped for your vote after looking at the updated list Smile).
I shouldn’t have said “older versions”, but the original version, sorry for that. According to info at the DOSBox site a fix is needed to get the game working (with voices). But it is easy to fix (and pm or link to the fix).

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The game runs perfectly under Scummvm. Not only that, but there’s a great enhanced soundtrack featured here - http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/2013/04/19/touche-the-adventures-of-the-fifth-musketeer-enhanced-soundtrack-released-for-scummvm/ that is compatible with Scummvm. The 16MB is a ripped version without voices and don’t even think starting that one.

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Didn’t realize that, apparently they have added a fix to ScummVM. I think I’ll pass with regard to the enhanced soundtrack though; Daglish’s score fits the scenes perfectly and is often very funny. I don’t like (his) adaptions (you can listen to Woodcock’s score on YouTube - but with scenes from the game), but perhaps I am too much influenced by memories of playing the game the first time around.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top