• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #7: Christminster

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I imagine the story will get going when we meet our brother. Let’s get through that gate first!

>give handbag to busker
The busker examines your handbag. “Hmm,” he says, “this is much too big for this trick, but perhaps…” He reaches into your handbag and pulls out a toffee, which he offers to you. “With my compliments,” he says, bowing slightly.

>give toffee to cop
The constable accepts the toffee. “And what do you expect me to do with this, young lady?” he asks you.

(waiting doesn’t do anything - the cop keeps it until you tell him to do something with it)

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t see the point of giving the toffee to the cop. If there is a point, the game should reveal it. So let’s wait.

> z

EDIT: crossposted or whatever you call it. 

Okay. But what can he do with it that we cannot do ourselves??

> cop, put toffee under green/red/blue cup
> cop, give toffee to me
> cop, give toffee to magician
> cop, put toffee in handbag
> cop, drop toffee

EDIT2: Still trying to figure out what the game wants from us. Like he does something with the toffee while we do something else?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>cop, give toffee to magician
The constable says, “Yes, that’s a good idea!” and hands the toffee to the busker. “Why,” says the busker, “what a lovely piece of toffee! This is a perfect choice.”

The busker lifts up the red cup and places the toffee under it. “Now you see it, now you don’t,” he says.

[Your score has just gone up by one point.]

Progress! 49 points to go…  Thumbs Up

Anything else you ask the cop to do with the toffee he simply says “I do love a bit of stage magic”.

On what we need do next, I’m as stumped as you are.  Confused

edit: Oh okay, I think I know now! I’m slow on the uptake today.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I guess we should now throw the stone at the window and free the parrot, who will be so grateful that he will give us a feather to tickle the don with…

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>e
You cross a bridge over a gentle north-flowing river, and then turn right onto Lady Margaret Green.

Lady Margaret Green

There is a man lying on the grass here, fast asleep.

>s
You turn right into Biblioll Street, and cross a humpbacked bridge.

Biblioll Street

>throw stone at window
All that cricket practice at Westminster Ladies’ College finally pays off. The cobblestone is right on target and the window shatters inwards in a lovely shower of broken lead and glass. A loud squawking accompanies the sound of glass falling to the floor.

A grey parrot appears at the broken window. It looks about itself cautiously, spreads its wings, then flies away to the north. It must have been injured by the broken glass, because one of its tail feathers has drifted down to land at your feet.

Somewhere in the distance, the clock of Biblioll College strikes eleven o’clock.

>get feather
Taken.

>e
You cross a low humpbacked bridge and turn left onto Lady Margaret Green.

Lady Margaret Green

There is a man lying on the grass here, fast asleep.

>tickle don with feather
The don’s nose twitches rather vigorously, and he sneezes! His sleep is uninterrupted, but he grunts and rolls over.

>get key
Taken.

The don twitches in his sleep.

The first key is that which opens the dark
  prisons, in which the sulphur is shut up.

—“Six Principal Keys of the Secret Philosophy”

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lovely. Barely one puzzle in and we’re already down for vandalism, injuring an animal and theft. And shortly, trespassing.

I love adventure games Smile

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Open the gate?
>s
>w
>unlock gate
>e

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>s
You turn right into Biblioll Street, and cross a humpbacked bridge.

Biblioll Street

You’re feeling a bit nervous carrying the stolen key around with you. What if the don were to wake up? What if the constable were to notice?

>w
You turn right into Chapel Street.

Chapel Street

The gate is closed.

>unlock gate with key
You unlock the gate.

The don stomps angrily around the corner. “Who’s taken my key?” he bellows, peering around suspiciously.

A police constable strolls up the street towards you, his heavy boots clattering noisily on the cobbles.

“You there!” the don shouts at you. “You stole my key! Constable, arrest this woman!”

The constable strolls over towards you. “What have we here, then?” he says, extracting the key from your trembling hands. “A right little thieving minx.” He grabs your arm and frog-marches you to the police station.

Luckily, a telegram to your father, and a telegram from him to his solicitors (Grousetwistle, Bentham and Portnoy) and a telegram from them to the Christminster police station, are enough to persuade your captor to release you, but by then you are sick of the whole enterprise, and in a huff you take the next train back to London.

When you eventually learn of your brother Malcolm’s disappearance from his rooms in college, never to be seen again, you regret your hasty flight from the scene, but by then it is too late.

*** You failed to save your brother. ***

In that game you scored 3 out of a possible 50, in 149 turns.

Would you like to RESTART, RESTORE a saved game, give the FULL score for that game or QUIT?
>

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Let’s try this again.
After getting the key
>n
>give key to magician

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>n
You turn left into Bridge Street, and cross a bridge over a gentle north-flowing river.

Bridge Street

A police constable stands here, watching the busker.

You’re feeling a bit nervous carrying the stolen key around with you. What if the don were to wake up? What if the constable were to notice?

>give key to busker
You are about to offer the key to the busker when he suddenly gesticulates wildly and shouts, “Look, a bald-headed sparrowhawk!”

The police constable stares up at the sky. “Where, where?” he cries excitedly. In the confusion, the busker surreptitiously takes the brass key from your hand.

The busker lifts up the green cup and places the brass key under it. “Now you see it, now you don’t,” he says.

The don stomps angrily around the corner. “Who’s taken my key?” he bellows, peering around suspiciously.

“You there!” the don shouts at you. “You stole my key! Constable, arrest this woman!”

The constable strolls over towards the don. “Excuse me, sir, but are you bothering this young woman?” he says.

“Tell this thieving woman to give me back my key,” shouts the don.

“I haven’t got your key,” you say, opening your handbag to demonstrate the truth of your statement.

“A false accusation is a very serious matter,” says the constable to the don. “I think you had better come with me to the station and have a little talk about this.” He leads the protesting don away.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Karlok - 04 March 2017 05:00 PM

So, did you like the the game and the twist? I remember you were very positive about Hadean Lands. Totally different game though.

It really dragged in the middle, with all the fiddling with the spy gadgets, but the twist was fun (it was entirely predictable, obviously, but really well executed).

Oscar - 04 March 2017 01:57 PM

>throw stone at window
You lack the nerve, especially with the constable watching you.

I’ve waited about 20 turns and he won’t leave, so I assume waiting isn’t the answer. He also shows up as soon as you arrive at Biblioll St no matter where he was before.

Oh well, killing a parrot behind glass wouldn’t be much use anyway.

Tongue

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

> look under green cup (etc. if necessary)

> w

> unlock gate

> e (if possible)

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>look under green cup
You lift the green cup but it’s empty. “No, it’s not there,” says the busker. “Perhaps you could try looking under another cup.”

>look under blue cup
You lift the blue cup but it’s empty. “No, it’s not there,” says the busker. “Perhaps you could try looking under another cup.”

>look under red cup
You lift the red cup and discover the brass key, which you take. “At last!” says the busker. “I thought you’d never find it.” He winks at you. “Take care, now.”

>w
You turn left into Chapel Street.

Chapel Street

The gate is closed.

>unlock gate with key
You unlock the gate.

They crossed the moat and Christabel
  Took the key that fitted well;
  A little door she opened straight,
  All in the middle of the gate

—Samuel Taylor Coleridge, “Christabel”

>e
(Opening the gate first)

First Court
An immaculate lawn graces the centre of a gloomy quadrangle surrounded on all four sides by tall buildings. Purple-flowering wistaria covers the centuries-old stonework, and gargoyles peer down from above.

You can leave the court in many directions:

West: a great wooden gate leads out to Chapel Street
  Northwest: the porters’ lodge
  North: “A” staircase
  Northeast: the door to the Master’s Lodgings
  East: a low archway through to another court
  Southeast: “B” staircase
  South: an archway through to the library

The elegant clock tower above the college chapel dominates the skyline to the northeast.

The gate is closed, but a little wicket gate stands open.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Good. Now to find the brother

>ne

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>ne
The door to the Master’s Lodgings is locked.

The clock of Biblioll College chimes the half-hour.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top