• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #3: Violet

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

I really enjoyed following this, guys. I’m usually not much of a fan of IF (I tend to get overwhelmed by all the options I could consider doing and/or frustrated by the parser not understanding what I mean), but in this way, as a community effort it looks like fun.

Mind if I join in for the next one? I’ll promise not to try to kill us in every possible way Tongue

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Oh, come on, getting killed is part of the fun Smile

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luna Sevithiainen - 21 September 2016 04:16 AM

I really enjoyed following this, guys. I’m usually not much of a fan of IF (I tend to get overwhelmed by all the options I could consider doing and/or frustrated by the parser not understanding what I mean), but in this way, as a community effort it looks like fun.

Mind if I join in for the next one? I’ll promise not to try to kill us in every possible way Tongue

If you enjoyed this one, why didn’t you just jump in and join us?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

I was extremely swamped with real life deadlines when you guys started, so by the time I had caught up I was too shy to just wedge myself into the well-oiled, well-underway group.

@giom: haha, in that case, lemme in!
(I am the type of AG-er that tries to kill off her main character in every way possible. Needless to say I love the old Sierra games Tongue)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You are very welcome to join us Luna. Perhaps you would like to select the next game?

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

Thanks Oscar Smile

I’m a complete IF n00b, so I am not sure if I would be able to select a good game (I’ll probably end up picking one that looks nice from the interactive fiction top 50 of all times and hope for the best). If anyone has a more informed opinion, I’ll gladly listen to them. Otherwise, I can have a look at said top 50.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Pick a few you find interesting, Luna. Not every text adventure is suitable for a community playthrough. Like the old and great but far too long and complicated Curses. Or the equally great but very short and puzzle-less Photopia. So make a short list for potential CP participants.

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

Right, here goes nothing. So this is the short list I made based on the top 50 of the Interactive Fiction Database. I don’t know any of these, so can’t tell whether they would work for a community playthrough, whether they are really that great as their ranking suggests, whether they are not filled with dead ends, whether the puzzles are any good etc. etc.

- Counterfeit Monkey
Ranks nr 3 in the Top 50. (Nr 1 and 2 or Photopia and Spider & Web btw). Seems you are a spy on Atlantis, which has developed language-manipulating gadgets like letter-removers, and the police is hunting you down. Puzzles seem quite language-oriented.

- Anchorhead
nr 4. Loosely based on the Cthulhu mythos. Said to be great puzzle-wise. Contains some graphic violence.

- Lost Pig
nr 5. No idea what it is about, but said to be funny and puzzles are said to be neat.

- Metamorphoses
nr 23. Fantasy setting, Blurb is not very informative about the setting, though it seems you start as a slave that has to finish a task for their master? Nominee for Best Puzzles award, so there’s that.

What do you guys think? One of these? Any other suggestions?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 20 September 2016 07:45 PM

Please. You want me to spell it out for you?

Please do. Enlighten me.

I’m not going to. You understand perfectly.

Apparently I don’t. Do you?

Luna Sevithiainen - 21 September 2016 02:04 PM

- Anchorhead
nr 4. Loosely based on the Cthulhu mythos. Said to be great puzzle-wise. Contains some graphic violence.

I’d vote for this. But is it feasible as a CPT?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

What do you guys think? One of these? Any other suggestions?

Counterfeit Monkey and Metamorphoses are both Emily Short games. I haven’t played them. I often read her articles and reviews. Her games are great examples of what modern parsers are capable of. BTW, you linked to Shade, another Andrew Plotkin game. Unsuitable. (Extremely short too, you can finish it in 30 minutes.) The link to Metamorphosis is http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=j61yaux1cqbptxyb

Anchorhead is an excellent Lovecraftian game, very atmospheric and IMO suitable. Puzzles are easy, with a few exceptions.

I’ve played Lost Pig. Definitely suitable, fairly short, funny. I liked it but strangely enough I don’t remember much about it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 21 September 2016 03:47 PM
Karlok - 20 September 2016 07:45 PM

Please. You want me to spell it out for you?

Please do. Enlighten me.

I’m not going to. You understand perfectly.

Apparently I don’t. Do you?

Like rtrooney said, don’t get into an argument with the administrator, they never end well.

I say your “I’m surprised it took you so long” came across as gloating (and the reason why you dropped out is totally irrelevant). You say you didn’t gloat. Fine.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 21 September 2016 04:42 PM

I say your “I’m surprised it took you so long” came across as gloating (and the reason why you dropped out is totally irrelevant). You say you didn’t gloat. Fine.

It took over two pages for something that would’ve been my first reaction. It just struck me as a little odd.

Consider it similar to wilco and myself not going for the vent in Spider & Web where you would’ve gone there immediately. You were surprised at that as well, no?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 21 September 2016 04:51 PM

Consider it similar to wilco and myself not going for the vent in Spider & Web where you would’ve gone there immediately. You were surprised at that as well, no?

No. I happened to remember the “...is not important” comment when Wilco was struggling with the vent in the beginning. If I hadn’t remembered, it would certainly not have been my first choice to visit after the wiring closet.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

TimovieMan - 21 September 2016 03:47 PM

- Anchorhead

I’d vote for this. But is it feasible as a CPT?

I don’t remember much about it, but I do remember enjoying it. The only thing that would make me hesitate is that it’s a lengthy game, but if that’s not a problem… In that case, Christminster might also be worth a look, but it had some pretty hard puzzles as far as I remember. (Including its very first one. Ouch!)

In spite of its flaws, A Mind Forever Voyaging is still one of my favorites, but I honestly don’t know if it’d work here. It’s more about exploration than puzzle-solving, it has lots of text, the map is pretty large, and some of the back story is printed in the manual (reproduced with permission from Activision).

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Eriktorbjorn, your recommendations are much appreciated, but I can’t help wondering why you never participate and only suggest games you have played. Had you played Violet? Don’t you want to join a CP?

AMFV is also a favorite of mine, but I would not consider it real suitable for a CP. For one thing, it’s not a free game. More importantly, it is all story, no real puzzles.

PS: I’m sitting the next one out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top