• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playthrough Tie-breaker rules

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks glom for coming back (& hey, I don’t even know why I’ve got so involved with this except I’d like to see things fair) - I think I agree (sorry Noddy) that a poll would not solve everything as there is still going to be those that disagree but what you’ve already posted seems to be the fairest & I’m happy to go along with that & no-one since has disagreed - no, not everyone wants to get involved in a heated discussion but you can just state what you think!

giom - 22 February 2016 01:10 PM

Ok, so let’s update the process I had outlined before based on comments. In the end we don’t seem to have too much disagreements so let’s see if this can solve the sempiternal disagreements everything there’s voting.

First round: everyone can vote for multiple games

Second round in case of tie,
  - Only tied games are eligible for the vote
  - Anyone can vote (even people who did not vote during the first round)
  - People who voted for only one game during the first round retain their vote for that game but they can recast their vote another game if they so wish
  - People who voted for more than one game must vote again but only chose a single game.

In the unlikely event there’s still a tie, the leader of the thread or score keeper will decide the winner

Duration of rounds:

First round: 10 days?
Second round: 5 days

I’m happy to go along with this but I’m going to pass the buck over to you TimovieMan - what do you say?  Laughing

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

chrissie - 06 March 2016 03:16 PM

Thanks glom for coming back (& hey, I don’t even know why I’ve got so involved with this except I’d like to see things fair)

Yeah same here really, just like the idea of having a few clearly defined so that everything is fair to everybody Smile

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think that looks good. I still think that if one person needs to recast a vote, all people need to recast their vote.

Suggestions would be to codify the rules. I.e., post the rules one more time with the statement “This is it!” Surely most, if not all of the “regular” players/voters/contributors have voiced their opinions. I don’t think anyone has said, “If you adopt these rules, I won’t play anymore!” So I think you’re safe on that front.

The other suggestion is to make sure the rules are posted at the start of any new Time for a New Community Playthrough message.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 06 March 2016 03:16 PM

I’m happy to go along with this but I’m going to pass the buck over to you TimovieMan - what do you say?  Laughing

I’m perfectly ok with the proposition as it is. I only have some doubts about assigning a fixed length to the first voting round.
It usually takes a couple of days to get going (and to get some game nominations in), and depending on the “vote keeper”, the round lasts until a specific date, or until no new votes have come in for a couple of days. Do we need to fix this? Or would a more general (flexible?) 10-14 days or so be better? Just thinking out loud here…

rtrooney - 06 March 2016 07:01 PM

Suggestions would be to codify the rules. I.e., post the rules one more time with the statement “This is it!” Surely most, if not all of the “regular” players/voters/contributors have voiced their opinions. I don’t think anyone has said, “If you adopt these rules, I won’t play anymore!” So I think you’re safe on that front.

The other suggestion is to make sure the rules are posted at the start of any new Time for a New Community Playthrough message.

That would be my job. I plan on posting the tiebreaker rules in the first post of the “Time for a new playthrough?” thread, for starters.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sorry, should’ve been clearer. My idea for the poll would be simply two choices, how should a tie be decided: -
A) Let the vote leader chose a way.
B) Fixed as per this thread.

Are we sure that B) is overall more popular now? It might only be the B) camp that is likely to voice their opinion in this thread.

Personally, I don’t really mind either way, but it wouldn’t exactly be fair to change it if it’s only a minority that wants that.

Cheers
Nod

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

From what I’ve seen in the past voting threads, every time there’s been a tie and option A) was done, people complained :-) So having clear rules is a good thing…

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

giom - 07 March 2016 11:21 AM

From what I’ve seen in the past voting threads, every time there’s been a tie and option A) was done, people complained :-) So having clear rules is a good thing…

People will likely complain regardless. As highlighted in this thread, there are a number of potential pitfalls even with the best suggested alternative. Even with the best intentions to avoid them, I wouldn’t be surprised if they become an issue in the near future. Probably the very next vote

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

crabapple - 06 July 2016 11:14 AM

It looks like the 15 days comes from giom’s post #45, but that includes the runoff.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/7601/P30

giom - 06 March 2016 02:33 PM

-  How long should the Voting be: (one week was too short, so it’s been changed 15 days with the first round lasting 10 days and the second round lasting 5 days)

It looks like someone didn’t finish reading the sentence when scanning the thread (oops).
Which means July 6 should be when the first vote ends? (if we start counting from June 26)
Someone check my math.

No - The majority of the people taking part in the discussion thought that approximately 2 weeks would be the appropriate time for the first (and normally only vote).

The actual summery of what was agreed upon, comes from Giom’s summery here in the actual voting thread.

giom - 06 July 2016 12:17 PM

Yep, that was my intent. 10 days for the first round and 5 days for the second round IF there’s a tie.  So, if there’s no tie, only 10 days.

Personally, I’d prefer less time than 15 days in total but at the time most people in the discussion seemed to think that it was too short otherwise.

Yes, your own personal preference was less time - But when you made the summery of what was agreed upon, you took your own previous suggestion and changed the time to 15 days.

Personally I would have preferred a more flexible time-frame, like 10-15 days depending on when the votes starts to dry out.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Iznogood - 06 July 2016 01:44 PM
crabapple - 06 July 2016 11:14 AM

It looks like the 15 days comes from giom’s post #45, but that includes the runoff.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/7601/P30

giom - 06 March 2016 02:33 PM

-  How long should the Voting be: (one week was too short, so it’s been changed 15 days with the first round lasting 10 days and the second round lasting 5 days)

It looks like someone didn’t finish reading the sentence when scanning the thread (oops).
Which means July 6 should be when the first vote ends? (if we start counting from June 26)
Someone check my math.

No - The majority of the people taking part in the discussion thought that approximately 2 weeks would be the appropriate time for the first (and normally only vote).

The actual summery of what was agreed upon, comes from Giom’s summery here in the actual voting thread.

Yep, that was my intent. 10 days for the first round and 5 days for the second round IF there’s a tie.  So, if there’s no tie, only 10 days.

Personally, I’d prefer less time than 15 days in total but at the time most people in the discussion seemed to think that it was too short otherwise.

Yes, your own personal preference was less time - But when you made the summery of what was agreed upon, you took your own previous suggestion and changed the time to 15 days.

Personally I would have preferred a more flexible time-frame, like 10-15 days depending on when the votes starts to dry out.

For future reference, the above is from here,
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2683/P450
where the 15 days is being disputed, since it obviously didn’t come from this “Playthrough Tie-breaker rules” thread.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

There’s a lot of confusion about whether there’s 10 or 15 days for the ‘1st’ round but in the last play through which Resonance won the voting started on 13th April (2016) & ended on 28th April (2016) - despite there being no ties that amounts to 15 days & there weren’t any complaints.

My thought is that as there’s now some dispute it needs to be further clarified on what time frame there should be for the ‘1st’ round so please cease to blame Iznogood for getting caught up in this confusion.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I kind of like the way we do in the casual voting thread. It’s very similar except that the first nomination/vote process lasts two weeks, which is 14, not 15 days. The difference is if the thread goes three straight days without any activity the thread is closed and a winner is announced. If there’s a tie it’s also similar except that there are no holdover votes. The voting starts from scratch with everyone getting one vote to place on the games that are tied. If there’s still a tie, the person running the process selects the winner.

But for the AGCP, I’m fine with what was decided.

Edit:  For reference, while the wording is otherwise identical, the methodology that stipulates 10 days was dated 22 February, and the one that stipulates 15 days was dated 14 April. Both 2016. If I had been running the vote, I would have assumed that the most recent methodology was the correct one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m not blaming Iznogood and don’t care what caused the confusion.
I very much doubt the confusion was intentional.
But if 15 days for the first round of CPT voting is something no one voted for or wants, and people actually voted for 10 days, then we should use 10 days—in future playthroughs if not for the current one.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

10 or 15 days, does it really matter people as long as it is stated prior to when the voting starts?

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Iznogood - 06 July 2016 01:44 PM

Yep, you’re right, my bad, I misremembered. Not sure when or how I changed it to 15 days… It’s probably a mistake on my part.

rtrooney suggestion of 2 weeks but stop faster if there’s 3 days with no votes sounds good and is probably a good compromise…

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

giom - 07 July 2016 12:38 AM

rtrooney suggestion of 2 weeks but stop faster if there’s 3 days with no votes sounds good and is probably a good compromise…

“Feh, I’d hoped that after that discussion when we codified the rules and asked for community input, there wouldn’t be any more disputes and arguing about the CPT.” (giom)

I say, let’s try the new rules you people agreed on first. We haven’t done that yet!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top