• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playthrough Tie-breaker rules

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

giom - 22 February 2016 08:30 PM

On one hand, there’s you who think retaining votes from people who only voted for one of the tied games makes things more complicated, on the other hand based on comments, me, Tim, SoccerDude28 think that retaining votes make things easier since we don’t have to ask them again to cast their vote when we already know it.

And there are a few that agreed with me as well, i.e., simpler is better. I think of it this way…If you are going to ask some people to recast their vote, (those who voted for more than one tied game,) just ask everyone to vote again. It’s a senseless category difference.

And, I might add, depending on the numbers, it might be a pain in the ass for the moderator who has to do the work making sure the tie breaker vote is voted correctly by the different categories of voters.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 22 February 2016 10:01 PM

I’m not terribly fond of changing the way the CCPT has dealt with ties since day one.

There’s no need to change that, imo. The main difference there is that people don’t vote for all the games they would join, but only for those they would like to play best (since they join all of them anyway).
There it makes more sense to do a complete revote with only the tied games and only one vote per person.

The main reason why we would retain the vote of those that only voted for one of the tied games here, is simply to remove the time constraints of the second round for them. Not everyone checks the forums on a daily basis, and with a shorter second round, some people might miss it otherwise.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Hmmm… If a person intends to participate in a CPT and therefore cast a vote, why that person would not check the forum regularly? I do not think anyone will vote for a game and then disappear without even see how the voting is going a few days later. Also from what I understand there would be several days to vote, both at first instance (10 days) and in the event of a tie (5 days). I think that is more than enough time.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1667

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Renacimiento - 23 February 2016 05:03 AM

Hmmm… If a person intends to participate in a CPT and therefore cast a vote, why that person would not check the forum regularly? I do not think anyone will vote for a game and then disappear without even see how the voting is going a few days later.

But things like this do happen you know. I remember something similar from my quizzes, when a pontential player disappeared mysteriously without a trace… Tongue

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 23 February 2016 03:47 AM
rtrooney - 22 February 2016 10:01 PM

I’m not terribly fond of changing the way the CCPT has dealt with ties since day one.

There’s no need to change that, imo. The main difference there is that people don’t vote for all the games they would join, but only for those they would like to play best (since they join all of them anyway).
There it makes more sense to do a complete revote with only the tied games and only one vote per person.

The main reason why we would retain the vote of those that only voted for one of the tied games here, is simply to remove the time constraints of the second round for them. Not everyone checks the forums on a daily basis, and with a shorter second round, some people might miss it otherwise.

I agree that there is no reason to change the way that you deal with CCPT ties Tim (i.e. rtrooney)!

Similarly, in the CPT thread, not everyone necessarily votes for every single game they may join in with if it wins, the difference being in that the choices for an AG are for the most part more diverse, the games are usually longer, more complex & require more of a commitment to participate so therefore members are bound to be more selective about what CPT they will join in with!

I’ve got no problem myself with the votes being set to 0 in the event of a tie, it goes without saying that those who have voted for more than 1 of the games have to choose between them but I really don’t see a need for those who have only voted for just the 1 having to vote again, yes, it may be simpler but not that much & it saves time,  but whatever .....

....the main thing for me is that anyone else who has already participated in the voting + anyone new who would like to join in with a playthrough should also have the opportunity to vote rather than the result resting on just those who have voted for games in a tie which is what had been happening! 

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 22 February 2016 08:49 AM
Iznogood - 22 February 2016 07:38 AM

The only thing that made this a bit messy this time, is that some retracted their votes or made conditional votes, because they couldn’t find a copy of the game, and the re-voted when they actually found a copy or were reassured that a download link would be provided.

No, there’s nothing messy about a game winning the vote for the next CPT that I know would have won way back if the game had been more accessible! Also, I dislike it when someone focuses on a couple of facts, twists them around & promotes something as messy when they haven’t read or understood a post properly to put the info into context.

I don’t think that you actually read and understood what it was I wrote.

chrissie - 22 February 2016 08:49 AM

There were a couple of people who retracted their vote for Touché because they couldn’t find a copy of the game which was already 2 votes ahead but shortly afterwards Lady K was able to find a Mac compatible version which put the game 1 vote ahead before any further voting process had an opportunity to get underway!!!

Which is exactly the same thing I wrote!

The voting process itself got a bit messy or if you will confusing, because of this, but Touché won because most people was interested in playing it. I have no problem with that, nor have I said anything that could possible in goodwill be interpreted as I had any problems with Touché winning.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I apologise Iznogood if I misunderstood your post - your idea of ‘messy’ obviously differs to mine!  Laughing

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess the question to ask is…do we have a conclusion?

For the Casual Playthrough I think everything is fine except for the vote retention.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

So based on TimovieMan’s post, I’d say keep what you’ve been doing for the Casual Playthrough since it works well for you and for the General Adventure Playthrough, keep the votes from the first round of people who only voted for one of the tie-breaker games.

Based on the general discussion, I think that would probably satisfy almost everyone?

What do you think Chrissie, TimovieMan?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

giom - 29 February 2016 02:14 PM

So based on TimovieMan’s post, I’d say keep what you’ve been doing for the Casual Playthrough since it works well for you and for the General Adventure Playthrough, keep the votes from the first round of people who only voted for one of the tie-breaker games.

Based on the general discussion, I think that would probably satisfy almost everyone?

Thank you glom for persisting with this! Yes, I have no disagreement with your proposals & going ahead with clarifying rules (bar for the CGPT as there’s no need!) but meanwhile for anyone that disagrees you do please have a voice & ‘Speak now or forever hold your peace’ !

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

rtrooney - 20 February 2016 11:24 PM

One popular suggestion is to leave it to the leader of the thread to make his/her own rules.

I think this has been where the main complaints have previously been, where people are not happy with the decision made at the time and results maybe going against their preferred game. However as this suggestion is popular there could perhaps be a poll to gage peoples preference?

Not everyone is willing to get involved in this discussion, understandably given the animosity that has sometimes arisen, so a poll would allow people to vote anonymously and still be heard. Could be stickied until the next playthrough vote commences?

Cheers
Nod

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure if the intent was to make it look like I believe that each leader should have the opportunity to make up his or her own rules.

The full quote is:

One popular suggestion is to leave it to the leader of the thread to make his/her own rules. That doesn’t work for me.

Emphasis added by me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

rtrooney - 01 March 2016 09:41 AM

I’m not sure if the intent was to make it look like I believe that each leader should have the opportunity to make up his or her own rules.

The full quote is:

One popular suggestion is to leave it to the leader of the thread to make his/her own rules. That doesn’t work for me.

Emphasis added by me.

Not at all, quite the opposite. I actually removed it trying to avoid any personalisation of the counter-argument. Sorry for any confusion!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Noddy - 01 March 2016 05:23 AM

.......people are not happy with the decision made at the time and results maybe going against their preferred game. ........
there could perhaps be a poll to gage peoples preference?

Not everyone is willing to get involved in this discussion, understandably given the animosity that has sometimes arisen, so a poll would allow people to vote anonymously and still be heard. Could be stickied until the next playthrough vote commences?

Cheers
Nod

I think a poll is a great idea Noddy!  Thumbs Up Who wants to present it? (glom -do you want to as you’ve been so articulate about the different options?) Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Sorry Chrissie, I’ve been a bit busy this week and haven’t really been looking at the thread…

I don’t know if a poll would work actually… Instead of a few different options, what I’ve done is really just summarize the consensus and integrate feedbacks in the proposal. Instead of being a choice between different options, it’s more multiple sub-questions rather than a few different options:

-  How long should the Voting be: (one week was too short, so it’s been changed 15 days with the first round lasting 10 days and the second round lasting 5 days)
- How many rounds should we have (based on the consensus I could see in the thread, having 3 rounds seemed overkill, so 2 rounds seems better)
- Should votes be kept for people who only voted for one of the tied games? (For the casual play through not keeping the votes make more sense but for the normal playthrough, keeping the votes is nicer and more convenient for potential players)

So, I’m not really sure how to translate that into a poll unless we could do multiple subpolls for each of the different rules…. I feel though that compared to the previous discussion on rules, there’s been a lot less animosity and discussion has been quite civil, so if people want to comment they are welcome :-)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top