• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #36: ASA: A Space Adventure

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Simon_ASA - 22 October 2015 05:18 AM

That’s all you have to do for this stage of the CPT. Don’t bother yet about the colors puzzle, don’t try to login on the PC in the Command Room, give up with the server room, etc etc.
Well, you can do all of it, but you’ll be far ahead of the others. Right now all you need to visit is the Greenhouse and the Bridge.

No please Simon, I never said anything of what you say. Let me do the leading. Wink

People, you can solve whatever you want on the bridge (colours puzzle, DOS puzzle, etc). You will do it sooner or later (we will revisit the Ark in later stages) and it is more preferable to do it now (before landing on Kepler) that you have fresh in your minds the way the Ark works. Just make sure you land on Kepler on time.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Oh, ok. I thought it was more logical to only visit the bridge and the greenhouse, and that it was your suggestion too. Isn’t it your suggestion?
“you can solve whatever you want on the bridge”
Anyway you’re the lead, of course! Sorry if I misunderstood something.
I’ll just follow and reply to questions then Wink

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Simon_ASA - 22 October 2015 10:25 AM

Oh, ok. I thought it was more logical to only visit the bridge and the greenhouse, and that it was your suggestion too. Isn’t it your suggestion?

10 days to just open the safe and find the coordinates for Kepler is fairly easy. I believe that there is enough time for the players to search the Ark more thorought. Of course if that is not the case, the bridge will always be available for revisit in the next chapters.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks for your help, Sefir and Simon. I’m now messing around with Forte’s computer, seeing if I can bring up MSPaint (just kidding). One thing I noticed with the password (I don’t know if anyone else does this) but hitting “spacebar” is so automatic that at first, I was using my own keyboard’s spacebar instead of the spacebar in the game. Yikes! Had to actually pay attention to keep myself from doing that. I’m looking around the room more closely, and have noticed that Forte’s head is an unusual shape, and I am now wondering about the player character’s future. I love the reference to Riven on the wall.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

BTW—one of my favorite views from the greenhouse.

The green house is so lovely - and the animation so well done - I really had trouble believing this game is an indie. I at one time paid big $$$$ for games not half as polished as this one.

The greenhouse for me was jaw droppingly gorgeous.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Still here. Working on it. Although, per my Diego reference, I may be reporting progress long after the thread shuts down.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks Becky and Mikekelly! I tried to add as many details as possible in the backgrounds (even if it could always be better). There are several things in the game that are not useful to the story or to the puzzles, but are for the eyes only: reflections, objects, landscapes… The greenhouse was interesting to create, thanks to all the flowers and plants (and the birds), and it must have been the most interesting room to create aboard the Ark. Making vegetation in 3D is always complex (it’s a real challenge) and doesn’t often give beautiful results if you don’t use expensive plugins, so I was quite reluctant first at the idea to create the greenhouse, but I think it is more lively and warm than the other rooms - which was made on purpose according to the story in the diary.

However I hope that you will enjoy other places later in the game Smile I have always tried to use my skills and long experience in texturing and rendering as much as possible in ASA. Knowing that the original ASA was rendered in 1024x432 disapointed me (even if I didn’t have the choice, as explained before), and it was part of my motivation when working on the Remastered Edition to revive these places in HD. I knew that it would give good results because of the work I was already doing on my new game Catyph at the same period, which one will also benefit of HD graphics similar to the Remastered Edition of ASA. I used the same tools, and the main difference resides in the video transitions added between in each scene to simulate the walk/run of the hero. It’s a bit like in Schizm (I think, I never had the luck to play it).

My only regret so far is that I didn’t anticipate the release of Unity 5, which is going to allow the creation of amazing graphics in games, such as Obduction, Xing, Haven Moon, Quern… All these developers are amazing and I am now a little jealous for not being able (yet) to create such impressive games in realtime 3D!

On another hand, I don’t know if that is what I want to do… I like the feeling of 2D in games (= prerendered 3D). They are the real point and click games, where people don’t suffer of motion sickness, where they do really point, and click on the pictures. I’m not sure if it is nostalgia only, or if there really is something different between 2D and 3D Myst-like games (I mean pre-rendered vs realtime 3D), and so I am still unsure of the success that Catyph will have at the release in 2016. It will probably look outdated for many people, while I really pushed the Visionaire Studio engine to its limits (speaking of the current 4.2 version). What I know is that I am happy with what I created in terms of world (size, diversity), puzzles (some very interesting ideas, I think), and immersion (story, characters, etc).

Have there been discussions around about realtime 3D and pre-rendered 3D graphics, in a Myst-like specifically? I know there have been several polls on French forums about this recently, and what adventure fans seem to prefer is 2D (slideshow, or omni 3D like in Myst IV), and realtime 3D comes after. It would seem that it depends on the generation of people who play, if they are younger they usually prefer realtime. But does it really make the game and the immersion better? It probably all depends on the people who play. Anyway it could be an interesting debate in another dedicated thread. I would probably defend pre-rendered 3D which I have always loved in games such as Final Fantasy PS1 or Donkey Kong Country Snes, so far as I remember. And the Myst series of course. And The Longest Journey, and Grim Fandango Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Just an impression only—real-time 3D games produced by a single individual or a very small team seem less playable somehow than Indie-produced 2D games. I don’t have any problems with motion sickness, but I sometimes encounter problems in real-time 3D games with locating hotspots (you have to walk around and stumble across just the right placement and angle to find them), awkward camera angles, getting stuck in the scenery, repetitive elements (you see the same tree or lamp used multiple times in different places) and a tendency toward challenges that require moving things (crates, rocks, barrels) or some form of timing (jumping, getting through a tunnel quickly, etc.). There seems to be a love for underground environments in 3D (not my favorite place to spend time because, frankly, these places are often boring). Using the mouse and keyboard can work, but I nearly always find that 3D games are more suitable to be played with a controller. So part of what I like about adventure gaming—taking my time, solving more traditional puzzles, exploring unique environments (especially outdoor, above-ground environments) and the no-fuss control of point-and-clicking is instantly transformed once real-time 3D is at issue.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

So how is everyone doing? Have you managed to find the coordinates for planet Kepler? Tomorrow is the deadline and as far as we know only two people managed to land on Kepler (Noddy, Becky).

Simon_ASA - 24 October 2015 06:50 AM

...I have always loved in games such as Final Fantasy PS1 or Donkey Kong Country Snes, so far as I remember. And the Myst series of course. And The Longest Journey, and Grim Fandango Heart Eyes

You just named almost all my all-time favorite games (DKC 1,2&3, Riven, GF, TLJ). Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, I’ve finally visited the bridge and I’ve reached the planet Kepler. I am ready for the next part of this grand adventure.

For indie 2D adventures, I found “The Cat Lady” to be amazing. That was also a CPT I’ll never forget.

Simon, once again thanks for your commentary, it really makes a difference in a CPT!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I’m sorry that I haven’t been able to play the game and participate in the CPT - yet.

But don’t worry, I haven’t dropped out and I will join you soon. I also don’t expect any problems catching up once I first get started, so I should be at the same page as everybody else before the deadline for the 2nd part.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 25 October 2015 05:12 AM

So how is everyone doing? Have you managed to find the coordinates for planet Kepler? Tomorrow is the deadline and as far as we know only two people managed to land on Kepler (Noddy, Becky).

I have the coordinates for Kepler (and I think I have the coordinates for Forte as well). Will probably have some time this evening to see if I can land the Ark…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I got to planet Keplar and landed there.

The Console puzzle was super frustrating and really poor in my humble opinion:
I had to revert to a walkthrough to find out I had to “force” the personal folder open. When I tried to open it normally, it just gave a syntax error with no useful error message. It does not make sense that I can open a private folder, but i have to force open a personal folder. This is definitely inconsistent and super confusing. Also, the command to open the air lock is SUPER convoluted. The Anterreans must be really backward in their technological prowess if they can’t get something like that right. Why can’t it be as simple as force<secure*AIRLOCK*0 to open and force<secure*AIRLOCK*1 to close.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I didn’t noticed we were already going to Kepler, I’m on to it now, hopefully get there tomorrow.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

I have the coordinates but I can’t seem to do the right thing to get there. I have seen the note about the x,y,z grid, but when I think I have everything set up on the vertical z axis and then on the x-y grid it does not go anywhere. If I push the button I get the orange stripey display, but still I only get “Space. Nothing but space.” or something like that. Is there something I have to do somewhere else?

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top