• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #36: ASA: A Space Adventure

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

@desiderio59

The problem of the DOS puzzle is probably more an intuitiveness gameplay issue. The puzzle in itself could be interesting but choosing the good commands to enter is not comfortable. It was a little better in the original ASA, but it was missing the possibility to validate the command lines with ‘Enter’. I don’t think it was possible with the Adventure Maker engine to use the Enter key in puzzles. In Visionaire for the Remastered we tried to simplify and make it more “tactile” but it’s worst now, in my opinion…

I never read Rendezvous with Rama, no. The only books I read from C Clarke are 2001 and 2010, which I liked a lot. I usually don’t read a lot of sci-fi, except for authors such as Bradbury or Hamilton, and usually prefer to read fantasy novels such as the sword of thruth, the wheel of time, etc. I think it is all because of “the books where you are the hero” (gamebooks) such as the Lone Wolf series, that I used to read long ago, and now I still read that kind of thing. I have probably a lot of great sci-fi books to discover, so let me know! I’ll try to read Rendezvous with Rama.

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

@Simon
You’re right, the interface for the DOS puzzle does feel a little uncomfortable, since you probably have to try it many times to figure out how it works, and when your syntax is wrong it feels frustrating that you have to type it out again.

The main thing in the DOS puzzle that I didn’t like was that when you’re trying to open the personal folder without using the “force” command, it tells you your syntax is wrong. I feel like it should have said “access denied” or something. I was kind of unclear on why the computer needed a “force” command? Is it something real computers use?

After I got into the personal folder, the computer was no longer frustrating to me.

Slightly off-topic, but I found a trailer for a game you cancelled called The Black Tower that looked a lot like FF7. I really liked those pre-rendered backgrounds. Was an RPG of that scale just too big a project for an indie team? I wonder if you could salvage those environments for a Grim Fandango-like adventure game…

Also, it looks like Square-Enix stole your idea of having a car drive around on the overworld. Tongue

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

There is not much I can do anymore about the DOS puzzle in ASA, unfortunately Frown But I totally agree with you and I have learned from this mistake. I will never ever do a similar puzzle in a game. We can discuss this when everyone will reach this stage.

Regarding TBT: The Black Tower, it is cancelled but you can learn more and even try the prototype here:
http://www.theicehouse.fr/games-digital—-tbt-the-black-tower.html

If only Square didn’t steal my ideas! ^^
No seriously I’m glad we failed the Indiegogo, because we were lacking of experience and were not ready to develop this (very) ambitious project.

I have no immediate plans regarding a Grim Fandango-like adventure based on TBT, but I have already thought of it. Right now I am seriously thinking of working on a 3rd-person adventure based upon my other project Mon Village est Magique (My Magical Village, aka MVEM) which is currently a cooperative project of comic book (based on a series of novels with a lot of ideas that I’d love to use in a game). This game would feature pre-rendered 3D backgrounds and realtime 3D characters, so we can probably say it’d be a Grim-Fandango-like. But shh! It’s still secret. Let’s release Catyph first.

The MVEM comic book is far from being finished and impressive, but I know it can be great.
http://monvillageestmagique.fr/
By the way I’m currently looking for illustrators if someone’s interested Grin

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 17 October 2015 09:00 AM

I used to have my PC tied up to my TV to play games on the big beautiful LED screen, but I disconnected mainly for this reason. Everything in most of the games looks amazing, but then the text is illegible especially at 1080p resolution. I then decided having the text is too important and moved the PC back to my smaller monitor.

No doubt it’s going to be depending on the game. Some will be better with mouse-keyboard/monitor others with a controller in the TV. The adventage of the Link it’s very easy to set up both and seems to be working very well (wired). THe controller takes a bit to getting used to, still undecided if it’s worth it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Simon_ASA - 17 October 2015 05:18 AM

Regarding the 2011:ASA short film:
Please DON’T watch it because it will spoil the end of the game! You’re warned Wink Thanks!

Darn… Meh

It’s the first thing I did when you mentioned it…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Well there are 2 possible ends, so you can still try to see the other one!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Ok, chiming in. I’ve started the game went to the greenhouse and opened the safe. It took 61 minutes Smile so yes pretty much an hour.

First impression, I completely agree with MikeKelly, I can’t believe it’s an indie game. It looks amazing and the animation is really good.

So far so good, it’s going to be hard to wait until the 26th to continue the playthrough.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

giom - 17 October 2015 06:05 PM

So far so good, it’s going to be hard to wait until the 26th to continue the playthrough.

Ahah, that’s always what happens when a game is good :p
So much pleasure for me!

I am sure that Sefir will take the good decisions, and might eventually change the date if everyone’s ready to continue before the 26th (but please wait for the others and try to help them if they need). It’s a bit difficult to tell how many people are really playing this CPT and who has opened the safe already, so don’t forget to tell about your progress. Particularly if you’re stuck, we’re here to help and I’d be happy to answer more questions.
But I bet you all know how the CPTs work… I’m the newbie here!  Nerd

Good news: thanks to giom, one of the free keys of ASA Remastered is back, so if someone still wants to join for free, it’s possible again! There’s one free key available. It’s still not too late to join and try to open the safe of the greenhouse before the 26th!

On another point:

Yesterday we were speaking of the softwares I used to create the game. I hope that my explanations were not too complicated and that they were interesting enough (please tell me what you think, or if I talk too much for a CPT!).

In order to complement my explanations about the creation of the graphics of the game, allow me to introduce an artbook that I had created:
Spoilers! ASA artbook (self-published)
It contains almost all of the 900 backgrounds of the game, screenshots from the short film, some work in progress, watercolor illustrations… all presented in a beautiful book with a hard cover.
It’s expensive unfortunately, I know (beacause it’s self-published), but I don’t really make money with these books, it was not the purpose - it’s more a collector object for those who really liked the game. So of course you can also read this book online for free as a PDF preview:
Spoilers! ASA artbook (free online)
But be careful that it contains a lot of spoilers! The reason why I introduce this book today, is in case some of you would like to purchase it already: you need to know that the shipping usually takes at least 2 weeks (because it’s self-published and the books are printed on demand by Lulu.com).
Of course I don’t force anyone, and I hope it is not seen as an advertising. I understand some of you could see it that way, but I really don’t plan to make money with this book and it really is a bonus object (the free PDF exsists for everyone).
It should bring answers regarding to how the game was made. Just be aware that it’s 98% made of pictures, and that there are almost no texts and descriptions in this book.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Made it to the checkpoint and opened the safe. SO FAR a very cool SF Myst-like game. I already know about this games puzzles being fairly easy at first, then getting progressively harder as you progress through the game.

If at any time I ever get stuck on a puzzle, I’ll post in this thread for help.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Ok, I’ve opened the safe too.

Great game so far. I was originally trying without the hotspots but have now turned them on. Thought I was being careful but had missed quite a few!

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’ve finished up through opening the safe in the greenhouse.
I also missed quite a few hotspots unless I used the hotspot reveal.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve been playing for two hours so far. The intro was great—very mysterious. I’m still messing around with the color puzzle and I’m puttering about in the greenhouse. I like the computer voice, but I’m having to adjust to the voiceover for the diary—no French accent at all? (Sort of like Jean-Luc Picard with no trace of a French accent.) I’ve found diaries for January, March and April. The ship is now hovering over a planet, but since the teleporter isn’t working, I haven’t been able to leave. I’m assuming that I have more to do on the ship before leaving.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

I have opened the safe, after a teeny-tiny hint from the walkthrough. How embarrassing. Embarassed  I could not figure out the environmental controls. I thought the second knob controlled volume or intensity, and the on-off switch was just for the control box itself. I have been playing too many casual games and lost my adventure game skills, like trying everything and looking everywhere for the results. The funny thing is that in the meantime I solved the color puzzle. I though it might be related somehow.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

cluelass - 18 October 2015 03:33 PM

I have opened the safe, after a teeny-tiny hint from the walkthrough. How embarrassing. Embarassed  I could not figure out the environmental controls. I thought the second knob controlled volume or intensity, and the on-off switch was just for the control box itself. I have been playing too many casual games and lost my adventure game skills, like trying everything and looking everywhere for the results. The funny thing is that in the meantime I solved the color puzzle. I though it might be related somehow.

I thought the environmental controls were kind of confusing for a few reasons:
In the cutscenes that show what changes you made, there’s no indication that we’re looking at a different rooms. Also it’s kind of weird that the on/off switch works differently for heat and water.

I think the color puzzle is harder, but more logical.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I repeat to everyone who solved the greenhouse safe puzzle: do not proced.

I also see that the grand majority of players have much less problems with the game’s difficulty than I anticipated (of course I use the original, non hot spot indicator version Wink ). If this continues, I will give you another target in two days.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top