• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDaleNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #36: ASA: A Space Adventure

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Not sure it is a good idea, but:
If some of you are completely stuck and start to become mad or angry. Or if you have solved a puzzle but are not sure it was supposed to be that way. Then:
You can get some help from the following walkthrough in Dutch. What’s interesting with this walkthrough is that most of us don’t understand Dutch language, so we can benefit of the illustrations and screenshots only, which are very helpful. However be careful, it’s full of spoilers and it is better not to use it if you can resist!

Spoilers!
Spoilers!
Spoilers!
http://www.adventurespel.nl/games/walk/asaspace.htm
Spoilers!
Spoilers!
Spoilers!

It’s up to you to decide if you need this at some point. As I said earlier I find it better not to use a walkthrough and to ask for help here. However sometimes text is not clear enough and a picture is needed to figure out the solution. You’ll find it there. Just don’t give up the game for one puzzle!

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

No. Nonono.

Please people, do not use walkthroughs… Frown

We are here to give a nudge to everyone who gets stuck…..

Oh, and since almost everyone made it to the greenhouse realy fast…

NEW OBJECTIVE!
You have to reach (meaning: find the co ordinates and make a safe landing) to the planet Kepler until the 26th of October. Some of you solved some parts of the proceedure, but most of you will find it much more difficult than a greenhouse safe opening. Wink

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 20 October 2015 02:43 PM

No. Nonono.

Please people, do not use walkthroughs… Frown

I really disagree with this statement, although I totally understand why you made it and the rationale behind it.

I’ll put myself front and center as to why this is wrong.

I received the freebie Steam Key from Simon. So I certainly don’t want to let him down if I found the game too difficult to finish. I consider myself to be a good puzzle solver, so I certainly don’t want to publicize my lack of puzzle solving skills by asking for help on what is, apparently, the first, and easiest puzzle to solve.

Although I did same and found most of the “hints” worthless because the people providing them assume you know more than you do. Which is not the case. If I knew more that I did I would not need the hint in the first place.

And then you come along and bump up the next objective to the date the current objective is to be completed. Obviously leaving any others who are not the “almost everybody” sucking dust.

And, so as not to be left so far behind as to give up, and thus waste Simon’s generous free key, we/I resort to whatever it takes to stay current. And if that is a WT, sobeit.

To quote Advie out of context, Get a grip! This is not a competition.

While I doubt it would happen, I won’t leave you behind in the CCPT.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i really dont understand, i think my English have failed me here, are you upset with me? because Tim,  wht i only meant by ‘get a grip’; is ‘to get hold of..’ maybe i used it wrongly?
..but i am still not sure

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Of course I’m not upset. Your use of the phrase was totally different than
t the way I used it with Sefir. But the phrasing sounded right to me. Sorry if I grabbed your phrase to make a point in a different context. You’re more than OK by me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 20 October 2015 08:44 PM

I consider myself to be a good puzzle solver, so I certainly don’t want to publicize my lack of puzzle solving skills by asking for help on what is, apparently, the first, and easiest puzzle to solve.

I can assure you that no one here will negatively criticize anyone about not being able to finish a riddle or two. At least not in the playthroughs I lead. And it doesn’t mean you are not a good puzzle solver, just perhaps that you might have been used to different kinds (not difficulty. Kinds) of puzzles or simply enough that you might have missed some kind of clue. There were games that personally took me 6 months to solve some of their riddles.

rtrooney - 20 October 2015 08:44 PM

And then you come along and bump up the next objective to the date the current objective is to be completed. Obviously leaving any others who are not the “almost everybody” sucking dust.

Don’t worry that much. You are simply stuck. It happens to everyone. I did what I did because I firmly believe that once you get a grip of the game’s logic you will be able to finish the greenhouse part easily and catch the specific deadline. It is a really small part. Wink

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Cheers everyone Smile I personally don’t care if you use a walthrough or not, as long as you enjoy the game! = most important.
You’re all big boys and know what’s best for a nice experience with ASA. Please just keep in mind that you are not supposed to use a walkthrough during a CPT, so if you can, ask your questions first, and if you’re really really stuck, then you’re free to look at the walkthrough in private Wink Don’t tell anyone, you have the tools in your inventory IRL, use them in your own way!

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I finally solved the greenhouse and got the safe open. I’m intrigued by the mention in the diary of the effect the cube is having on Forte. (Also by what’s valuable enough to be in an elaborately secure safe on a spaceship.) Apparently keeping the cube on his pillow at night allows it to influence Forte’s dreams and maybe even rewire his brain? I’ve been using every clue I can find, and I’m glad I have the Remastered version because the larger directional arrows are a necessity for me (I tend to wander around lost a lot—a family trait (yes, really!). Anyway,I’m now in the Control Room and have (POSSIBLE PASSWORD SPOILER) hooked up the keyboard. I have the procedure for inputting the username and password, and have “looked down” and think I know the password, but it isn’t working. Am I right that when you click in the right spot on the astronaut image, the computer actually reads the password to you in the correct order?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I personally don’t care if you use a walthrough or not, as long as you enjoy the game! = most important.
You’re all big boys and know what’s best for a nice experience with ASA. Please just keep in mind that you are not supposed to use a walkthrough during a CPT, so if you can, ask your questions first, and if you’re really really stuck, then you’re free to look at the walkthrough in private Wink Don’t tell anyone

OK, this made me laugh big time. I have a few new adventure games with a built hint system. Stuck? No problem just hit the question mark.

True I get great satisfaction in solving a puzzle - but I know a Gal who refuses to use a walkthrough when stuck - and she has LOTS of unfinished games, some with only an hour of play in them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Simon—thanks for the story as to how you found Steven Tidwell for the voiceovers.

I could use some help on the password (it occurred to me that I probably shouldn’t put the request itself in a spoiler tag). POSSIBLE PASSWORD SPOILER—I’ve tried Platon P.ForteCSE2011 (enter) and Platon P.Forte CSE2011 (enter) and then (reading what actually comes first on the suit) Platon CSE2011P.Forte (enter) and then (reading upside-down as though I’m actually in the spacesuit) Platon Forte.P2011CSE (enter).

Am I way off base?

BTW—one of my favorite views from the greenhouse.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think I might be emulating Diego on this one. In addition to the problems with the first puzzle, there are some other issues. A problem has occurred with my surgically-repaired right eye since the PT started. Not a big deal. But it makes seeing detail in an otherwise fuzzy environment problematic. Saw retinologist a few days ago. Re-visit in two weeks. Had to take my baby girl in to see the vet this morning. She has some kind of cough. She is vaccinated for Bordatella and has had her flu vaccination. Vet says her cough is probably some kind of virus, e.g. a cold that she picked up. Yet the vet prescribed antibiotics. Need to clarify. Antibiotics don’t treat virus infections!

Wife had some hip pain. Went to an immediate care site. Suffers from severe muscle strain. Got some muscle relaxants that make her “loopy” as she says. Can’t drive while taking drugs. So, anywhere she wants to go, I deliver.

And tomorrow is grocery shopping day. Should be fun. And tomorrow is also move day for the next chapter in the CCPT.

And then Friday is my guitar lesson day. As well as AGSotD day.

I’m falling behind. Not sure how or when I can catch up.

I suddenly find myself in awe of all of you that can juggle all the things you do and yet are still able to stay on top of everything.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Becky - 21 October 2015 03:23 PM

I could use some help on the password (it occurred to me that I probably shouldn’t put the request itself in a spoiler tag). POSSIBLE PASSWORD SPOILER—I’ve tried Platon P.ForteCSE2011 (enter) and Platon P.Forte CSE2011 (enter) and then (reading what actually comes first on the suit) Platon CSE2011P.Forte (enter) and then (reading upside-down as though I’m actually in the spacesuit) Platon Forte.P2011CSE (enter).
Am I way off base?

No, quite the opposite. You are really close.
Minor nudge:
The clue was that “the login information will be under your eyes”. Not just the password.

Exact answer:
login: P.FORTE
password: CSE2011

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

You have to reach (meaning: find the co ordinates and make a safe landing) to the planet Kepler

Ok, I’ve reached the planet Kepler but not sure if I’ve made a safe landing or not. Is landing a separate procedure/puzzle?

Also not entirely sure which of the other available puzzles I’m supposed to have completed up to this point. I’ve done the colour puzzle, lights are on. I’ve also connected keyboard and logged in to Forte’s computer but not attempted the server computer login yet.

Worried I’m getting ahead, or falling way behind!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi everyone,

some of you seem unsure of what to do exactly and where to look for clues, so according to Sefir instructions, these are the exact steps you should focus on until then:

1 - open the door of the teleport room
2 - quick visit of the Ark (don’t do too many things around)
3 - solve the Greenhouse puzzles (open the safe)
4 - visit the Bridge and learn how to land on Kepler

That’s all you have to do for this stage of the CPT. Don’t bother yet about the colors puzzle, don’t try to login on the PC in the Command Room, give up with the server room, etc etc.
Well, you can do all of it, but you’ll be far ahead of the others. Right now all you need to visit is the Greenhouse and the Bridge.

@rtrooney
Take your time and please play ASA when you feel ready, in your own way! We do understand and wish you good luck with all you have to do, and if you still want to continue the CPT with us I’ll be more than happy to help you if you’re late.

@Becky
you’ve almost found it! It’s just a problem of Space… I would even say: the space bar!

——
Creation process:

I have attached a picture (see at the end of this message) that shows the creation process of the Greenhouse (main room).

The top view shows the result of the modeling stage in 3dsmax. In order to create the different objects inside a room, I use the traditional technique of 3D modeling named “box modeling”. I start with a box (can even be a Cube!) and I add details, edges, vertices and faces, until I have succeeded to create an object (tree, door, safe… bird!) or a character.
The Box Modeling technique can be summarized simply with the following picture:

You can easily see that the basic 3D models are all grey, so I have to add textures. In ASA the textures are photos that I made or obtained on cgtextures.com (a texture library for CG artists).
These textures are added in 3dsmax in a “shader”, in order to manage several aspects of an object material (plastic, metal, wood… They’re all made differently).
For example if you want to create rusty metal, you need a photo of metal. But if you only do that, it will look flat: just a photo wrapped on a 3d shape. So you need to add several layers in your material such as a “bump” mapping effect. It’s another texture, in grey levels this time, that will add ruggedness to the final object: the more the details of the bump texture are white, the stronger is the ruggedness effect.

A good example of bump mapping I found on the web:

I can also add specular effects in order to simulate the shine of an object, or add reflections, etc. There are a lot of possibilities!

Finally I add the lights of the room, which will allow to cast beautiful shadows and create a warm environment, or on the contrary a dark and frightening place.
These are the main 3 steps that you can see in the picture attached to this message (below), and they are the same for all the rooms of the game.

Image Attachments

greenhouse_wip.jpg

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Noddy - 22 October 2015 04:24 AM

You have to reach (meaning: find the co ordinates and make a safe landing) to the planet Kepler

Ok, I’ve reached the planet Kepler…

Then you made it! Smile
Wait for the rest of us folks!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top