• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #36: ASA: A Space Adventure

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m way behind everyone—still on Kepler, wandering around the village. I keep getting lost among the stacked huts, as my sense of direction is basically zero. I may have to write stuff down on paper now—not the puzzle clues so much, but making a map of the locations.

Two views I thought I’d post because they are so colorful:

The airlock—I’m sure this spacesuit is a clue to what’s happening in the story, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

I’m calling this the lava lattice. Sort of trips off the tongue.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

@Simon -

I’m right behind Becky. I’ve arrived at Kepler, but really haven’t had a chance to play much. I will take Becky’s advice and get my map-making paper out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

TimovieMan - 16 October 2015 11:05 PM

I also noticed that the short animation film also got used as (spoilers inside) [spoiler]a Klaypex music video[/spoiler]. How’d that come to happen?

Thanks TimovieMan,
That’s become my new coding music.. Didn’t know Klayplex before… @ I’m also curious now about how that came to happen? Smile

I’m catching up. I’m now on Planet Forte.

I really loved the puzzle to produce the cube which was a lot of fun and I liked the door lock puzzle. But I’m a bit like Becky and rtrooney and have a hard time navigating. Took me ages until I could find something to open the grinder.

Also, the ride in the mine is indeed mind blowing Laughing

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have decided to postpone the deadline until the 11th of November to give everyone left behind thus far the chance to catch up.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

giom - 07 November 2015 05:53 PM

I also noticed that the short animation film also got used as a (spoilers inside) Klaypex music video. How’d that come to happen?

Thanks TimovieMan,
That’s become my new coding music.. Didn’t know Klayplex before… @ I’m also curious now about how that came to happen? Smile

Short story:

They found the 2011: A Space Adventure short film (spoilers inside!!) on Vimeo and changed the soundtrack with their own music in private. They seemed to love the result and sent me a preview on youtube. I thought too that their music was fitting well with the pictures and I was enthusiastic, which I told them, but I didn’t accept that they share the video publicly because I didn’t know them, I didn’t know their purpose with the film edition, and if they were willing to make money with my film or not, or just seeking for exposure, and on top of that I was not managing the film distribution on my own. You never know what will happen of your pictures on internet, there are a lot of scams, so I prefered to be careful. I don’t remember accepting, and if I did it wasn’t obvious to me.
So as I just said, I didn’t accept anything spontaneously, and for a long time I didn’t even know that the video was released (someone else told me. It was a surprise).

What has probably happened: I had given Klaypex the email address of Yummy Films who used to manage the distribution of the ASA and Catyph short films in 2013-2014 through festivals, tv and more (which didn’t have a lot of success). They probably agreed together (?) and the music video released publicly someday.
Unfortunately Yummy (or Klaypex) didn’t inform me that the film was released after they found an agreement. So I’m just sorry that I learned about it through other people.
Well it doesn’t matter how it happened (I didn’t even ask Yummy because I’m ok with it and didn’t even think of complaining). I really don’t care who decided and how, as long as it doesn’t injure my work, and in fact that is all the contrary: the result is great and I like it, there’s even my name in the video Thumbs Up  I hope they had a nice feedback from their fans! I prefer to encourage other artists even if it doesn’t benefit to me. And maybe there could be more collaborations (and officially this time) in the future? Who knows?

Because of the spoilers in the Klaypex music video, it’s better not to watch it before you finished ASA. However if you’re curious, you can listen to the music that Klaypex mixed with the ASA short film (which includes the opening movie of the game). It’s named Satellites and can be found here:
https://soundcloud.com/klaypex/satellites
(no spoilers inside)

Sefir - 08 November 2015 05:15 AM

I have decided to postpone the deadline until the 11th of November to give everyone left behind thus far the chance to catch up.

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I also noticed that the short animation film also got used as a Klaypex music video. How’d that come to happen?

To everyone reading DO NOT WATCH THE BEFOREMENTIONED VIDEO!!!!
It contains spoilers from scenes in the game that we haven’t seen yet.
And I would prefer if every other person who posted this video on this thread put a SPOILERS! sign as well.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Sefir - 08 November 2015 05:25 AM

And I would prefer if every other person who posted this video on this thread put a SPOILERS! sign as well.

You’re right, I’ve added a sign to mention that. Sorry about this.

Well it doesn’t matter how it happened, I’m ok with it, I really don’t care who decided and how, as long as it doesn’t injure my work, and that is all the contrary: the result is great and I like it. I hope they had a nice feedback from their fans.

Yes, the result is good and at least they mention your name and website (although it could be a bit more prominent). They or Yummy films definitely should have alerted you before releasing it though Pan

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

giom - 08 November 2015 06:17 AM

Yes, the result is good and at least they mention your name and website (although it could be a bit more prominent). They or Yummy films definitely should have alerted you before releasing it though Pan

Yes there’s my name, it’s great Smile (I updated my previous message while you were writing this)
Yummy is a very small structure and I think they are somewhat overtaken by events! Or maybe an email went to spams…

What about you Giom and TimovieMan: how did you find the Klaypex music video? Did you find it on youtube while searching for ASA things, or did you know Klaypex already? They seem to have a lot of followers and fans.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I actually saw the comment from TimovieMan and followed the link. Didn’t know Klaypex before but I kind of like it. It’s good music for coding Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve pressed the button, planet Forte was nice even if it was easier than Kepler.
But the quiz was the stuff of nightmares Smile
I didn’t completely understand why there was the Where is Forte now? question. Doesn’t seem to make much sense in the context.
Loved all the JPGS in the bedroom! Good taste Simon! Was the statue Tifa?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Simon_ASA - 08 November 2015 06:27 AM

What about you Giom and TimovieMan: how did you find the Klaypex music video? Did you find it on youtube while searching for ASA things, or did you know Klaypex already? They seem to have a lot of followers and fans.

I’m a notorious Wiki Walker (warning: you may end up Wiki Walking on TV Tropes if you follow that link). Tongue
When you mentioned the short film, I immediately looked it up (before you said it contained spoilers). One of the comments on YouTube mentioned the Klaypex video, so I checked it out.
I didn’t know the band, but I ended up listening to half their repertoire.

I quite like them, but they fall into the same category as all other bands in that genre, imo: they all *wish* they were Daft Punk. Cool
Daft Punk is teh awes0me!

It’s a shame they didn’t inform you when they released the video. But at least they prominently feature your name, so there’s that… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Mapping Kepler really helped. Amazing how many directional arrows I never accessed while wandering around taking in the sights. I just arrived on Planet Forte. I now have diary entries January through May—is that what I ought to have at this point?

Simon—is it really strange to read people’s impressions as they walk about in the worlds you created? People’s reactions are always so varied to any work of art. And this one isn’t hanging on a wall—people are actually in it (well, virtually). I would think it would be hard to watch, as we all stumble through (well, some of us glide through, but others of us have to really get our hands dirty before we make it through).  Naughty

Story speculations (I haven’t walked on Planet Forte yet, so I don’t have as much info as the rest of you) Calling the spaceship “the ark” implies that there is a storehouse of Anterran DNA or perhaps Anterrans in cryosleep somewhere on the ship—an ark traditionally travels around until circumstances are appropriate for the organic creatures on the ark to disembark. However, I haven’t seen one single bit of evidence that this is actually the case on this particular ark. The cube appears to be a device that captures a single individual’s attention and then rewires that person’s brain. This may be basically a way to probe the brains and experiences of its “victims” and then record the data (the ark might be a big research ship that will eventually return to its creators, with cubes full of information on parts of space and the beings that occupy it). If so, then there’s a room full of cubes somewhere on the ark.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Also, the ride in the mine is indeed mind blowing

I have to admit, I really loved this part of the game too! Quite unexpected.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

TimovieMan - 08 November 2015 07:22 AM

I quite like them, but they fall into the same category as all other bands in that genre, imo: they all *wish* they were Daft Punk. Cool
Daft Punk is teh awes0me!

Ah! Yep, that’s for sure. But it’s good to have some other music to listen while we’re waiting for the next Daft Punk album Smile  (Overwerk is the other band that I like to keep me waiting)

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

@wilco

The “Where is Forte?” question isn’t that strange, is it?
We can discuss of the quiz and the good answers if you want, as soon as everyone as solved it, but that one makes sense, because nobody ever told us in the game where Forte is - which is the good answer. The different parts of the diary only tell of his past, not of the present, so we don’t know where is Forte now.
Or maybe you are asking about the existence of the question itself, not about the answer? Well if this question exists, it’s because (!!big spoiler!!) it’s Forte’s Quiz as written at the beginning, and he probably wanted to play with you Wink

Loved all the JPGS in the bedroom!

Thanks a lot!
- The posters on the walls come from previous personal projects.

- The Lazy Balls animation was a promotional trailer that I made for a video game developed by my brother for Google Play, 3 years ago. I think the game is not available anymore because, with the evolution of ios and android, more and more compatibility issues were appearing in the game.
(spoiler if you didn’t see it yet)

- The covers of the DVD boxes come from my oldest works in 3D and computer graphics, that I have recycled for the fun. Most of the time they were exercises inspired by games I enjoyed, such as Metroid, Xenogears and Final Fantasy. I didn’t want to add Myst and Riven again because there was already the Cub’en poster in reference to Riven (http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/101214/)

There are probably other pictures in this room but I don’t remember which ones…

Was the statue Tifa?

No Tifa was a character of Final Fantasy VII, and this game had already received a nice hommage in the PC room Grin

The figurine you are talking about was the main character of a short film inspired by Final Fantasy XIII, that I created as an exercise in 7 days in 2010. But I don’t like this film at all, I’m not good enough in character animation!

@Becky

Simon—is it really strange to read people’s impressions as they walk about in the worlds you created?

No I wouldn’t say it’s strange. On the contrary, it is very interesting and it is very beneficial: I created a world, and you are visiting it. Could it be better? You are making it alive!
While you play, there are a lot of things that you understand or feel exactly as I wanted to, which is good: it means that I successfully managed to create the game. The most interesting is to discover how you all try to solve the puzzles. When it doesn’t work, it gives me some ideas and sometimes I realize I made mistakes, which I will try to avoid in future projects. Of course that is a bit frustrating when you all face the same issues, and are having a painful time in the game (the DOS-puzzle) and so I have regrets that I didn’t create it differently. The worst is when you find bugs, because they’re a nightmare. We really worked hard fixing them with Andy, but there are often many left in such a game. This is all because there are a lot of views and actions.
The most interesting is probably to see that you feel involved in the story and try to discover the end. I won’t say a word about it, but there were good insights!

I don’t know if all developers feel involved in that way after the release of their game, and that is the reason why I am so excited to be here with you for the CPT. Other developers who sell thousands of copies but who don’t do the effort to discuss with their players do certainly lose a lot. I will never be able to play ASA like you did: I knew everything about it before it was released, so there was no surprise for me in the game, and it makes it difficult to judge the quality. However, being able to read your comments is great because it allows me to discover the game through your eyes somehow, and that’s quite an experience!
Thanks everyone Wink

@Mikekelly

Also, the ride in the mine is indeed mind blowing

I have to admit, I really loved this part of the game too! Quite unexpected.

One of my favorite sequence too Smile
It was a lot of fun to create and in fact it was not supposed to be that fast. Here the speed of the wagon is just so much exagerated! (which makes it so fun). It was supposed to go fast, but not that much: maybe two times slower, originally. What happens is that the wagon goes down to the mines through a long tunnel (in 3dsmax the tunnel is a kind of long pipeline with a lot of twists and turns), but the ride was very long, maybe several kilometers long! In order to go from the top of Kepler down to the mines themselves, it needed almost 1 minute at a “normal” speed! Not only it was boring to watch, but it was also requiring a very long time of rendering. So I just accelerated the animation, and the result was… interesting (what you can see in the game). It was as if there were rockets behind the wagon to push us! So during the making of the sound effects, I asked Stélian to add a sound of strong acceleration, and I really like what he did. It gives the feeling to pass the sound barrier and go from Mach 1 to Mach 3 in no time :p

It is of course another direct reference to Riven (we already said it earlier but here’s a sceenshot)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top