• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I think the bonus chapter adds at least 1 hour of game play. But not change or add much of the story. As you know, I always go for the CE because I like to have the strategic guide around. I’m lazy for thinking some puzzles.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There was a BOGO sale today that I could have used to get the game. Only problem was I didn’t have a second game. Most SEs have an associated “blog walkthrough.” It requires some extra effort if you’re really stuck. But it’s free.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the Fright Chasers - Dark Exposure Collector’s Edition demo. I will certainly buy it, but will likely wait for the SE unless a great sale comes along. I like the graphics, and the puzzles are well done. Although like many games these days, the puzzle objective statement is frequently less than satisfactory. The story/plot is one I have seen before. Husband is a scientist. His wife is accidentally killed, and he is trying trying to re-capture her through his experiments, which, so far, have not succeeded. You and your friend arrive at the labratory, and strange things start to happen. There is an interesting plot twist (maybe) at the end of the demo, which is the main reason I’m interested in the game. I had 22 minutes left of my 90-minute demo when the demo was finished.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

FWIW, I watched the YouTube video of the bonus chapter of Vermillion Watch - Order Zero. It is essentially a continuation of the basic game. It didn’t provide much additional information about the characters. (The exception being Nemo, who turns out not to be the villain we thought she was. It did, however, hint at a sequel. Although, unless something strange happens, the sequel will not have the Red Queen as the primary antagonist.

All in all I didn’t appear, to me, that the CE is worth the additional $$.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I just finished Maze: Nightmare Realm from Madhead Studios. I liked it with some qualifications. The story was good and reasonably coherent for a casual and i liked the characters. My subjective view as as I didn’t time it is that it is very short. Also subjective is that the gameplay did not provide much of a challenge and the puzzles were on the easy side. I did like the first two Maze games and will probably buy the next one if they make another.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve also played the first two Maze games, although not yet this one. Beware the Rooney Theory though. Any sequel after the first three is when the downhill slide starts.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I keep checking in at BFG to see if the Fright Chasers - Dark Exposure SE version is available. No luck as of Yesterday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2017-10-25

PM

I just completed Yorkshire Gubbins, well part 1 Humble Pie as apparently for my £4 I’ll be treated to the delights of parts 2-5 as well at some point in the future.

I played through the prequels Holy Molluscamony which was described on AG as being very good which it sure was and also the other freely available Verb School which together should give a good indication of what you’re about to get.

Pros
Good voice acting, amusing dialogue, familiar interface, bizarre story and characters, price (especially once additional episodes are added if they are as good), it’s like a Yorkshire simulator

Cons
Not that challenging, non uk residents not familiar with Yorkshire may miss out on some of the charm

There are worse ways to spend 2 hours of your life :)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Welcome to the group.

I’m not familiar with the game you mentioned. Could you also post where the mentioned game can be purchased. Most casual games can be purchased on BigFish games. Recently they can also be purchased on Steam or GOG, but I am not totally trusting of those sites for casual downloads. They can also be purchased from the developer.

I couldn’t find your game anywhere. I’m wondering if your definition of a casual game might differ from what is thought of as a casual game on this thread.

I think of a casual game as a “lite” version of a basic adventure. It may or may not contain hidden object sequences, although most have a few. Game length is almost certainly less than 8 hours. Although there are exceptions.There is normally far less dialogue. And inventory puzzles are usually far less complex.

I’m sure others will add to this description.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The games mentioned by Lizardking are a series of small adventure games.  I think the post was put here by mistake.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2017-10-25

PM

Ahh woops, I hadn’t realised the thread was meant for a different kind of game.  Happy for these posts to be deleted to keep things tidy.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I kept looking for the SE version of Fright Chasers - Dark Exposure on BFG. It’s still not there. I bought the CE version the last time there was a half price sale.

The game is good. There were a few puzzles where it was worth it to have the strategy guide available…if only to get a better understanding of either the puzzle’s objective or the puzzle’s mechanics. By and large most of the puzzles can be solved without the use of the strategy guide. The story is slightly above average. It’s one of a type we have seen before. A being accesses a portal to earth, and sends earthlings back through the portal in order to gain power. With the ultimate objective being world domination. The puzzles fall into two basic categories, logic or inventory. The logic puzzles are mostly used to open doors. Thin inventory puzzles are mostly used to find keys, with which we can then open doors.

There are more HO scenes than I normally expect from casual games these days. That said, they were of sufficient variety to make them less obtrusive.

The publisher is Mad Head games. Their track record is somewhat similar to Eipix in that their games have been hit or miss of late. Some are reall good, and some are outright clunkers. This game would rate 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better than average, but far from great.

As with many CE versions, there are some extras. Finding the Mad Head logo in all the scenes, and finding a morphing object in all the HO scenes are two “Achievements.” They can be entertaining, but do not contribute to the game in any fashion.

Final thought: I have not played any of the other games in this series. The bonus game is nothing more than a promo/demo of another game in the series. I contributes nothing to the main story. So, to me, other than the strategy guide, there is absolutely no reason to purchase the CE version of this game. What I don’t know is when, or if, there will ever be an SE version.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

With nothing better to do, I am replaying Enigmatis 3 - The Shadow of Karkhala. Last time I played it was when we were playing it as a group/Casual Community Playthrough.

I forgot how great this game is.Even when I know what’s coming it is still exciting.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

rtrooney - 19 November 2017 12:28 PM

With nothing better to do….

I know what you mean. There have been so few casuals released lately that have piqued my interest that I have resorted to replaying some others from my library. Just finished Alex Hunter—Lord of the Mind again, and enjoyed it immensely. Good, long detective (Sherlockian?) type game with CE elements in an SE body. It had more HO scenes than I recall from the first time around, but they were done well for the most part. And some of the puzzles were on the trickier side, too. I remember when I first played it I was hoping for a return of Alex in another adventure, but alas, it hasn’t happened…

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Yeah, I liked Alex Hunter and Enigmatis 3 both. And this is a good time to replay favorites as I haven’t really found anything new that I really liked either. I did notice that the new Fright Chasers is out in SE so for the next sale…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top