• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve played the two Adam Wolfe games which I liked quite a bit. He’s a detective. The graphics are in the style of a noir comic book. I’ve not played Alex Hunter—Lord of the Mind. Will give it a try.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m playing the Alex Hunter demo. I kind of like it….but….I was playing for about ten minutes and Bang! I ran head on to one of my gaming pet peeves. That is items that are not true to the period in which the game takes place.

I’m guessing that the game takes place sometime in the late 1800s or early 1900s. There on a desk, front and center is a Zippo lighter, which was not invented until 1932.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

It was hard for me to tell what the time period is in which the story takes place…it’s kinda all over the place. Later in the game we see some real “steam punk” stuff, like this high tech machine that is controlled by our bad guy. And there’s New York style mafia or syndicate types (discretely) involved which sort of indicates anywhere from the 1920’s through the 50’s time frame. There’s also a gas powered lawn mower needed to solve a puzzle at one point, and a coal fueled boiler, etc.

I guess the dev’s didn’t really try too hard to keep this story relative to any one particular decade or era, is what I’m saying…

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m still in the demo. Don’t know if I will play in any time frames other than the late 1800s where I am now. Just the same though, the Zippo lighter is very appropriate in any of the game’s time frames that are later than 1932. It’s just not appropriate in the time frame I am currently playing.

I know I’m picky about these things. But, if you have read my game reviews in this thread, you know I have been picky about this problem since the very beginning. So, at least I’m not a flip-flopping picky person.

Side note: Zippo lighters were the go-to lighter in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. They were, of course replaced by the Bic lighters and their clones. I no longer smoke, so I am not current on today’s lighter of choice. But I wonder whether anyone under the age of 35 even knows what a Zippo lighter is.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I hadn’t played any Casual games for quite a while so recently have played through a couple. I tend to go for games in a series that I’ve enjoyed the previous ones of so Mystery Case Files - The Revenants Hunt was a must. I quite liked that but the multi-stepped puzzling screens have been simplified but I do like that you can skip one section of it without skipping the whole thing.

I’ve just started playing Dead Rackonong - Lethal Knowledge but wouldn’t overly recommend it because it doesn’t seem to gel that well in that you’re not sure what you should be doing but I’m early on.

One game that I would thoroughly recommend is Dark City - London, it has a great story, it’s very HO orientated but the screens are interactive, very varied & fit in so well you don’t notice - one of the best CGs I’ve played for a long time!

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

While taking a break from getting my house back together after some renovations, I started Dark City: London last night and am liking it so far.  Did you notice that the detective’s voice is the voice of the prisoner in the first Enigmatis game?  It threw me off a bit because of the change in character.

I also bought MCF: The Revenants Hunt in the half-price sale but only peeked at it to make sure it works.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just dl’d the demo of Dark City - London. Right now it’s only available as a CE. If either of you have finished it, I’m curious what you think of the Bonus Game. Worth the extra $$, or not.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m playing the bonus game now, and it’s an entirely different story with a twist regarding a familiar character from literature.  It’s not necessary but still fun.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Then I will wait for a bargain sale. Thanks Lady K.

BTW, we’ve been going through a bedroom remodel that was 25 years overdue. Looking good, but still another 12 days before he chaos ends.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 01 December 2017 07:52 PM

I’m playing the bonus game now, and it’s an entirely different story with a twist regarding a familiar character from literature.  It’s not necessary but still fun.

I keep check in with BFG. To-date no bargain sale and no SE version for sale. I kind of like the game. There are a huge amount of HO scenes. And, despite the variety, they are still there. I’ll definitely buy it when the SE is available.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the game, waited two days and replayed it. There were some nuanced things I knew I missed. I thought it was better the second time. I also chose a different ending, which really wasn’t different. It was the same ending with the happy scenes of Rebecca eliminated. I thought there might have been a scene of her rotting in prison, but no!

I checked the credits for VA credits, but there were none. Nonetheless, it has to be the same guy that voiced the Enigmatis antagonist. Since that role is no longer available, he is spreading his wings. I wonder where else we might next hear him. He’s very good at what he does. I wonder if he’s ever done any regular AG work. I’ve not heard him in any AG I’ve ever played, but that doesn’t mean much. Since I doubt if I’ve played 5% of the AGs produced since I started playing. (If that!)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve downloaded two new demos. The first is Living Legends - Uninvited Guests. It’s from the same developer that did Dark City - London. The mechanics are recognizable, so anyone who has played London should have no problem with this game. Not exactly a new game, concept wise. A wedding is to take place in a castle. Wedding in interrupted by the invasion of a Minotaur-like beast who takes over everything. Your objective is to kill the beast, return the wedding scene to its proper order, and to make sure the wedding takes place. “Nuff said. Yet despite all the “been there, done that” feeling, I had some fun playing the demo. Will probably buy it when the time is right. If it is similar to the London game, it will be a game of satisfying length. I.e., at least six hours.

Second DL’d demo is Surface - Project Dawn. I’ve not played it yet. But, seeing that most Surface games are Surface games in name only, I don’t know what to expect. Will report back with my thoughts.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the demo of Surface - Project Dawn. It’s from Elephant Games, which, like a few other developer/publisher firms, has had a hit-or-miss history of late. This is particularly true of the Surface series. After the first two games in the series, it ceased to have any continuity. Each game became a stand-alone experience. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. It does tend to avoid the Rooney theory that says any sequel after the third starts a downhill slide when it comes to game quality.

The game is a hodge-podge of game themes we have seen before. It starts with a car crash while driving through unknown territory. Your daughter, who is riding with you has disappeared. (I’m thinking Ravenswood here.) As the plot unfolds, it appears that there was a medical facility that was conducting government-funded secret medical experiments on humans. (Way too many games come to mind. But one example is FACES.) And, while your obvious objective is to recover your daughter, it turns out that the primary way of doing this is by entering into the nightmares of those people who participated in the experiments. Both the medical staff and the subjects. Again, two many to mention but two examples are the original Phantasmat and another Surface game, The Noise She Couldn’t Make.)

After all this, it would seem that I would give the game a rousing Thumbs Up But that’s not the case. The game is actually kind of fun. I think I’m going to buy both it and the Living Legends game I mentioned in the previous post. Of course I will wait for a BOGO. Another factor is that both games seem like they will be quite long. At least five hours each.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Project Dawn sounds good, Tim. I think I’ll add that to my buy list. I notice Dark City: London has come out in SE so that is on my list as well. Now to wait for a sale…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There was a BOGO on BFG yesterday. For some reason I was unable to connect with the forum and let everyone know. I’ll keep looking, and will post when I see the next one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top