• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just finished the newest Phantasmat game, Mournful Loch.  I liked it well enough, especially because there weren’t many hidden object scenes and the ones that were there were nicely varied.  The story was okay but didn’t have the same drama as the first Phantasmat.

I’ve been eyeing Black Veil and will probably download it tonight.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 02 May 2017 07:52 AM

I’d be interested in your thoughts Tim as I didn’t remember as it is so far my least favourite MCF game.  Smile

Wow! Worse than “morphing HO” Ravenurst, or the last two Ravenhurst games, or Shadow Lake? All of which I easily classify as worse than this one. But I haven’t finished the demo yet, so there’s still time for things to go South.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 02 May 2017 12:54 PM

Wow! Worse than “morphing HO” Ravenurst, or the last two Ravenhurst games, or Shadow Lake? All of which I easily classify as worse than this one. But I haven’t finished the demo yet, so there’s still time for things to go South.

I finished it this past weekend. I’d say it wasn’t the best, but IMO morphing Ravenhearst and Shadow Lake were definitely worse.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished it today. Not as good as either of the Dire Grove games. But better than I thought it would be. Comparisons are hard because of the Ravenhurst games. To me, the first two were little more than solving a series of Rube Goldberg-inspired door puzzles. But a lot of other people liked that.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Those puzzles are what I loved in the Ravenhurst games.  I’m playing Black Veil now and have come across one puzzle like it so far.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 May 2017 04:44 PM

Those puzzles are what I loved in the Ravenhurst games.

That’s why making comparisons is so “iffy.” I guess the first Ravenhurst games reminded me a bit of Black Dahlia. I loved BD, but there was a section of continuous door puzzles that just wore me out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 02 May 2017 12:54 PM
chrissie - 02 May 2017 07:52 AM

I’d be interested in your thoughts Tim as I didn’t remember as it is so far my least favourite MCF game.  Smile

As said I’d already played the CE - yes some of the puzzling was good but…....I’ve
watched, played, read horror stories galore in films/TV, games & books respectively & the only truly scary ‘monsters’ for me, ridiculous as it seems, are the Cybermen in Doctor Who & that creepy horned woman in The Black Veil (that’s why I don’t like it!) otherwise you can throw at me in any game every monster, devil & demon you like!    Laughing

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m with you crissie, not much scares me in real life either.  And movies, pffft.  When everyone else was shrieking I was wondering which was a model or CGI. The only game that did was The Journeyman Project Turbo.  The first time the door slid open and that huge bot clomped into the room I jumped back in my chair.  Of course it may have been because I was fairly new to games at the time… Yeah, right.  I still don’t want to replay it to check.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I am borderline obsessed with horror movies and I love a good scary game but I still get freaked out by ghosts. 

Then again, if you’re not watching/playing it alone in the dark in the dead of night then you’re basically using a cheat code. Wink

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

For those looking for something a little different, I can recommend trying Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord. Set in 1895, with adventurous characters from Phileas Fogg (friend) to Irene Adler (foe), steampunk inventions, and a mix of easy to impossible mini-puzzles. Lots of cutscenes in the latest “movie with some puzzles in it” style. Above-average voiceover and music, very striking scenes. After the opening chapter, you have clues to three locations, which you can take in any order. I hate to admit it, but several puzzles were too difficult for me. Anyway, this is the first in the series, so you don’t have to worry about Rooney’s Law (the longer a series goes, the worse it gets). The second one is out now and I’m about to try the demo.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m going to go off topic a bit and recommend a game that’s not strictly a casual game but plays very much like one combined with a regular adventure game.  It goes quickly but with lots of gameplay, didn’t need a walkthrough, at least in the early releases (It has 6 over 7 years or so). and a very clever premise It also has an underlying horror throughout that you must defeat at all costs.  It even has parts that are very creepy.  I’m playing the 6th and final chapter and will be sorry when it’s over. 

The Dream Machine 10/10

When I first encountered it I didn’t think it was a game I would like mostly since it looked cartoonish, but having played the Neverhood and The Journey Down I knew that could be deceiving.  Since the first Chapter was free I tried it and was hooked almost immediately.  It’s paper products characters will amaze you and you’ll appreciate why each installment took so long. 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks. Are all the episodes currently available as a single game. Although I have played them, I really dislike episodic games. I’ve been burned more than once by a company going under before completing the full series.

On another subject, I just finished playing the Vermillion Watch - Moorgate Accord demo. Cluelass recommended it, and it’s an EIPIX game. It looks quite good. The setting is late 19th century England. The “accord” in the title is an agreement between good and evil forces. The Vermillion Watch is the group on the side of good. Your uncle, the leader of the Watch, has recently been murdered. Your objective is, with the assistance of your uncle’s close friends and advisors, to put things right.

There were very few HO scenes in the demo, and those that did appear were quite entertaining. The puzzles are of moderate difficulty. Voice acting is fairly good and the music and effects are non-intrusive. I’m definitely going to buy the game, but I don’t know what the differences are between the SE and CE. Has anyone played the CE?

Side not: There are some interesting references to characters that appeared in the literature of the period. Inspector Lestrtade and Jeckel and Hyde are two examples I’ve found so far. Very entertaining.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Tim, I played the Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord CE but it’s not memorable. I reviewed the bonus chapter on YouTube and it doesn’t really advance the story much. Of course you have all the usual Eipix extras—collectibles, puzzle & HOP replay, etc.—and the strategy guide. The bonus chapter does contain one of the niftiest HO scenes I have ever seen—a pop-up of London. (You really have to see it full size to appreciate it.)

Image Attachments

Vermillion_Watch_Moorgate_Accord_-_London_pop-up.jpg

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Tim, all the Dream Machine episodes are available on Steam now as a single download or individual chapters and the newest 6 finishes the series.The interface is very nice and lets you play any one of the six you want.  Of course it’s necessary to start with the first and progress through them unless you’ve played some of them before. I had so I just chose Chapter 6.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

cluelass - 15 May 2017 01:26 PM

Tim, I played the Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord CE but it’s not memorable. I reviewed the bonus chapter on YouTube and it doesn’t really advance the story much. Of course you have all the usual Eipix extras—collectibles, puzzle & HOP replay, etc.—and the strategy guide. The bonus chapter does contain one of the niftiest HO scenes I have ever seen—a pop-up of London. (You really have to see it full size to appreciate it.)

I’ll look for it on YouTube. (Is cluelass how you are listed as the author”) That puzzle/HO scene looks fantastic. I wouldn’t spend $7.00 just for that one puzzle. But I might be tempted if there is a REALLY good sale. (I’ve bought the SE earlier today.)

More name dropping. We’ve moved from fictional character to real life ones auch as Isaac Newton. This game is a lot of fun to play.

...you don’t have to worry about Rooney’s Law (the longer a series goes, the worse it gets). The second one is out now and I’m about to try the demo.

BTW, Rooney’s Law usually kicks in after the third game in the series. First three 1000 Doors games were good. The fourth was a dog. Ditto PuppetShow, Secret Order and too many more to mention.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top