• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckySefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Thanks for prompt reply. I will see what I can do with it.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished Beyond Time and really liked it. Although I must say that I am starting to find the mascot thing really tiresome. The first few times it was cute. But now I’ve probably played twenty-five or more games with a mascot in tow….well, not so cute anymore. Just give me the powers, and we’ll move on.

Aside from Nubbi (sp?) and the VERY abrupt ending, I think everything was quite good.

I consider myself a connoisseur of slider puzzles, but I found two of the “power” slider puzzles to be fairly difficult. I think it was the second one that took me about ten minutes to complete. Far beyond the point where I would normally hit the skip button.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It seems like mascots are more the rule than the exception.
One game I played recently had two of them—both a raccoon and a baby dragon.
The raccoon did most things related to climbing and getting through small openings, while the baby dragon was useless except as a living matchbox. I could have done with just the raccoon and a real matchbox. Strangely, the game made you name the nearly-useless baby dragon, while the poor raccoon went nameless throughout the game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the game designers have a pretty dim view of their protagonists. We require an entity to crawl into small spaces to retrieve items even though there is a small till lying on the sidewalk that is more than up to the task, if only we were allowed to pick it up. Lighting fires/fuses/candles/etc requires a lightning bolt or dragon’s breath, even though, as you say, a box of matches or a found flint would do the job.

Just give me the powers you gave to the mascot, and I’ll get along just fine.

Side note to all: I am playing the Parallels Cross game demo. I really like the game concept. I.e., no walkthrough, you’re on your own. But I find the execution of the game confusing. Example: There is a puzzle that looks something like a Ouija Board, with five dials on top and two concentric dials on the bottom. The object is to crack a code. The only problem is that there are six letters in the code. ???? So I am stuck, and there is nowhere to turn for the answer to how do I get unstuck.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Tim—there seem to be some walkthroughs for Parallels Cross on youtube. I haven’t viewed them, so I don’t know if they cover that puzzle. There’s also a skip function if you get super stuck on that puzzle.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I just got this game today.
You may have already figured out the Ouija Board thing, but just in case…

Your clue is a scrap of paper with LOGOS written at the top, and which also says L=I. That’s all the information you need for the Ouija puzzle.

If you need more explanation…
Line up the inner and outer rings so letter L lines up with letter I. Set the dials of the upper 5 dials so they spell LOGOS using coded letters.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

That was the problem. I was using the wrong scrap of paper. The code I tried to use was XPXM1M which is used later in the game.

Edit: The demo ran out. I’m not sure whether I will buy the game. Without a walkthrough, aside from the video one that Becky pointed out, this is a game than needs to be played by a group so that puzzles can be solved as a group. It’s not a game I look forward to undertaking solo.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Wow! Casual Games had slipped to page three.

Anyway, During my recent AGSOTD trilogy of post on game series that had outlived their welcome, Becky posted that the continuity of the Nevertales series was quite good. I just downloaded Nevertales - Legends. I’ve never played a game in the series, and chose this one at random. Is there a better game with which to give the series a try?

Also related to the same AGSOTD series, I re-downloaded the Grim Tales -Bloody Mary demo, and will most likely buy it even though I didn’t like it the first time. I really want to know how the birth of a sister and the death of the parents can transition Brandon from an 18-year-old, only child in Stone Queen to an accused murderer of a sister that was, as yet, unborn in Stone Queen. (You might get my drift whe I said continuity was the great failing in this series.)

I’ve also downloaded the demo of Secret Order - Ancient Times. I’ve only just started to play it. But the somewhat-intrusive mascot aspect of the game is already intruding on my enjoyment. Instead of sending a mascot to a hole in a tree, it would have been much more enjoyable for me to have been posed with a puzzle that would have netted me a ladder, with which I could have retrieved the object myself.

The result is that, instead of just playing the game, you are looking for situations that will require the use of your mascot. That’s a distraction, not a bonus feature.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Generally I don’t care for “mascots” either, especially when they’re overly “cute” and cartoony. I did like the cat in “Forsaken Bride” that did what it wanted to and helped only by accident, but I wouldn’t want every game to copy that formula. It would be nice if these games would give you a choice of whether or not to have a “helper.” I suppose some people must like them, but usually I’d rather do the solving myself.

Another thing I don’t like is having some specialized game-specific piece of equipment that doesn’t always work. For example the scanner thing you have in Mystery Trackers: Blackrow’s Secret that needs a new battery every time you use it, and you are finding new batteries that fit the thing in all sorts of unlikely places throughout the game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the Bloody Mary demo…again! I remember why I didn’t like it. Let’s start with your niece Jackie appearing out of nowhere as a teenager who has been stashed in a creepy boarding school by her parents. (She wasn’t born at the end of the prior game.) You, Auntie, are called to save her. The fact that the parents, your sister and her husband, weren’t called implies that they are already dead. (Although I don’t know that for sure, and despite what I said, I will NOT be buying this game to find out!)

This is just all too strange. Which is why the Grim Tales series made it onto my “overstayed its welcome” list. And, to top it off, you are also given a chipmunk as a mascot!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 13 February 2016 07:38 PM

Anyway, During my recent AGSOTD trilogy of post on game series that had outlived their welcome, Becky posted that the continuity of the Nevertales series was quite good. I just downloaded Nevertales - Legends. I’ve never played a game in the series, and chose this one at random. Is there a better game with which to give the series a try?

Hi Tim—I don’t think I posted that, actually. Maybe someone else said it? The Nevertales series doesn’t stick out in my mind, particularly. For a long series with good continuity—the Awakening series. I’ve played the first four games in that series.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You’re right. I don’t know why Nevertales stuck in my mind. The two series you mentioned were Nightmare Adventures and Otherworld. But, as long as I have it on my desktop, I might as well play it and report back what I think.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just played the demo of Nevertales - Legends. It is quite good. Reminds me quite a bit of the Secret Order games. But, gratefully without the mascot. It’s another Mad Head game. Which means almost nothing since recent releases have been hit or miss.

So far, this particular game is a hit. I think there are currently a total of five games in this series. I bought this one, but will not only have to see where this fits in the overall sequence, but how cohesive is the series’ storyline.

Now I have to find representative samples of Becky’s suggested games. Becky, please advise.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Since the stories build on one another throughout each series, you’ll want to start with the first game.

Awakening: The Dreamless Castle or Otherworld: Spring of Shadows. I know you’ve already played the Nightmare Adventures games. Of the two series, I like Otherworld slightly better because it has a deeper story from the very beginning.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There is only one Nightmare Adventure game as far as I know. That’s the one titled Witch’s Prison. I would have to check my purchase history. I don’t remember playing it, but, at last count, I’ve played well over 200 of these things, so it might have slipped my mind. I’ll use that, rather than old age as an excuse. There is a Nightmares from the Deep series. I think I have played all of those games, and thought they were pretty good.

I did finish the Nevertales: Legends game. It was quite good. I was sufficiently impressed to plan it for Friday’s AGSOTD. It’s temporarily replacing another of my favorites, so I had to like it. I think I will nominate it for the next CCPT as well. A really good mix of puzzles. The variety in the HO scenes is also very good. And it has no mascot!!!!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top