• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just played the new Mystery Case Files game, Key to Ravenhurst.  This one was produced by Eipix and had their signature feel to it and way too many hidden object scenes.  I still enjoyed it, especially the Rube Goldberg type puzzles, but I think they’ve stretched Ravenhurst as far as it should go.  Also, even though I played all the other games, I was still confused as to who some of the characters were, so this is probably not the game to introduce anyone to the Ravenhurst series.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would have to check, but I think it was EiPIX that did the last two Phantasmat games. I don’t know what happened to them. I thought they were an up and comer after the Death on the Silver Screen and Myths of the World games. Remember that Of Fiends and Fairies was my game of the year a few years ago. Now they seem to be doing contract work….MCF games were done by BFG Studios.... or working on old franchises.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just finished Lost Lands The Golden Curse and it was great. I think Five-BN has reached the point I was expecting: good HOs, mini games (puzzles) and a story. The 3 Lost Lands are just great. To anyone who wants to venture in Casual Games, I recommend. Have a look at it, Tim and Becky. I’d like your opinion.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I will download the demo and report back.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve downloaded the new Lost Lands demo, I will try to get to it in the next several days. I have played about half of the Equilibrium game Becky recommended. I like it, but find it somewhat confusing. The lack of an interactive map is very evident. Our “puzzle” interaction with the other worlds before we’ve had the opportunity to visit them is hard to figure. Purely from a logical perspective everything the Queen is now for would seem to make impossible for her to be suckered into the old “shake my hand and I’ll take your powers” trick” But that’s what happened.

It’s a game! The lack of “game logic” should not lessen one’s enjoyment of it. But, the more I play it…. Well, let’s say that I’m sure I am not enjoying it as much as Becky did. That said, I very much enjoyed Beyond Light Advent which had many of the same game logic questions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Tim—I’m pretty sure that Equilibrium has an interactive map. I’ve already deleted the game, but looking at screenshots—maybe the compass in the lower left of the screen?

UruBoo—I’ve played part of the demo for Lost Lands: The Golden Curse and it does look good. I almost bought it on Veteran’s Day, but it turns out that the Big Fish BOGO sale for that day was only for SE versions. Maybe Thanksgiving will have a BOGO sale that includes CEs and I’ll pick it up then.

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

I downloaded the Lost Lands: the Golden Curse and played it for almost an hour, but when I decided to quit it wouldn’t let me. Finally had to pull the plug on the computer. Up until that point it was an interesting game. That kind of bugginess is a deal breaker.  (Win7)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Very strange. Pulling the plug (literally) is not the way I prefer to end a game. I would certainly write BFG Customer Service. In my experience they are very good at finding the cause/solution to game technical glitches.

FWIW most casual games are in continual auto-save. So even if you have to abort a game, it will restart in the same area, if not the exact spot where you pulled the plug. Also, if you are using Windows I would Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager and close the game that way. Much tidier, and less chance of harming other applications that might be running.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Just now playing Fright on Tim’s recommendation and enjoying it quite a lot.  Very inventive so far and puzzles on the easy side, which suits me today.

Friday Casual Games is very helpful in reminding of games I’ve forgotten about.

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

Tim, it wouldn’t even let Task Manager show.  I don’t like pulling the plug either.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Questerium: Sinister Trinity is available for free today on gamegiveawayoftheday.com. It is a pretty solid puzzle game (it was on Colpet’s list) with some delightfully cheesy FMV.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Hi sarahandus,

I hate when that happens.  I just hold down the start button on my computer until it turns off.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Dara100 - 15 November 2015 11:04 AM

Hi sarahandus,

I hate when that happens.  I just hold down the start button on my computer until it turns off.

In extreme cases, that doesn’t work, though it’s worth trying first.
I’ve also had to literally pull the plug on the computer—or in the case of a laptop, flip the thing over and pull out the battery.
Bad computer. Bad…
Unfortunately no rolled up newspaper to swat him with though.  Wink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the new Lost Lands demo. Maaron is the one familiar character. Other than the Tina Fey/Sara Palin lookalike protagonist of course. It was good enough to buy. I bought the CE version only because I wished I had it for the last CCPT. If it’s not worth the bonus game I’ll feel a little stupid.

It’s very much like Four Horsemen. You will have a sidekick. Although I don’t know for how long. The interface and map are pretty much the same. There are portals, but I’m not exactly sure what triggers them, although I know it isn’t putting a rune in a stile.

Because it’s a CE, I can collect “figurines” and morphing objects. Oh Boy! I didn’t even know those were there except I accidentally clicked on something and an achievement alert appeared. I’m trying hard not to obsess on them.

Side note: If you haven’t noticed the new nomination/voting thread for the next CCPT has opened.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just replayed Time Dreamer, which I bought back in 2010.  I liked the time-travel theme, but the numerous too-fussy HOPs with small and hard to see items were frustrating.  I played it in expert mode but should have chosen casual because the hint recharge took forever, and there were click penalties.  The characters were a bit stiff looking, and the dialogue was only written, not spoken, but the story was good if familiar.  It reminds me of a sci-fi novel I read years ago about a man who could change the world by dreaming.  I forget the title, but I’ll have to search my library database to see if I can find it again.  I think it was also made into a movie.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top