• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Thank you, Cluelass. Really enjoying Secrets of the Dark Temple of Night. I started playing it this past weekend. It is refreshing to play an ‘old-school’ game without the constant achievement interruptions. I do think games are getting easier now. I may have to go back to look at older games for some challenge.
Speaking of challenge, I tried the demo for Parallels Cross. It is an Adventure lite casual. No HOGs. Based on what I saw in the demo, this will be a purchase for me.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I picked up the Demo of Parallels Cross. I look forward to giving it a try. Your recommendations rarely fail me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Do you think we should consider Parallels Cross for the casual playthrough?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We certainly can, if you want to nominate it. Smile The demo sits on my desktop, un-played. I just haven’t had time. Thus, I really know nothing about the game, other than Colpet recommended it. She did say it had no HO scenes. Similar to Azada and Penumbra Motel.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished Secret Order - Masked Intent. I thought it was quite good. There have been discussions, both here and on some of the Casual Friday AGSotD threads, about why many casual games look so similar. The answer was that many developers use the same Spark Game Engine. However, this is the first game I’ve played where the game engine is actually listed in the credits.

Also, according the the Sunward web site, this game was the first one in the series. So, I guess whatever the next game I play is, it will tell me if the series is moving forward, or taking a step backwards.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 20 January 2016 05:11 PM

I finished Secret Order - Masked Intent. I thought it was quite good. There have been discussions, both here and on some of the Casual Friday AGSotD threads, about why many casual games look so similar. The answer was that many developers use the same Spark Game Engine. However, this is the first game I’ve played where the game engine is actually listed in the credits.

Actually I thought the Secret Order games looked different from most. None of that blurriness you see in a lot of games (at least not in the main games—the bonus game for Ancient Times CE is another matter).

Anyway, if you liked Masked Intent, you’ll probably like Ancient Times.

Also, according the the Sunward web site, this game was the first one in the series. So, I guess whatever the next game I play is, it will tell me if the series is moving forward, or taking a step backwards.

Adventuregamers lists the dates of publication of the four Secret Order games here
http://www.adventuregamers.com/companies/view/1824
Secret Order: New Horizon was the first of the series—even has the same heroine (Sarah Pennington).
http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/6955/the-secret-order-new-horizon/
I’m not sure why Sunward wouldn’t list New Horizon on their website, but they did take the series in a different direction with Masked Intent—enough that it’s almost a different series.

Masked Intent was the 2nd, and possibly the best of the series.
Ancient Times was 3rd, and the main game was a lot like Masked Intent. However the bonus game for Ancient Times was all fairies and elves and dwarves—not much like the main game at all. Even the graphics looked like they were from a different game. Glad I got the SE for that one (watched the bonus on YouTube).

I can’t comment much on #4 (Beyond Time). I only played the demo briefly. Although it sort of resembles #‘s 2 and 3, it seems to be lacking something.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t want to be disagreeable, but there is quite a good chance that the Spark Game Engine was upgraded between its first use in the second Enigmatis game and this one. The Mists of Ravenswood being the first game that used the game engine.

crabapple - 20 January 2016 08:31 PM

Actually I thought the Secret Order games looked different from most. None of that blurriness you see in a lot of games (at least not in the main games.

See above.

crabapple - 20 January 2016 08:31 PM

Adventuregamers lists the dates of publication of the four Secret Order games here http://www.adventuregamers.com/companies/view/1824
Secret Order: New Horizon was the first of the series—even has the same heroine (Sarah Pennington).
http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/6955/the-secret-order-new-horizon/
I’m not sure why Sunward wouldn’t list New Horizon on their website, but they did take the series in a different direction with Masked Intent—enough that it’s almost a different series.

Far be it from me to dispute anything Adventure Gamers has to say about anything. But given a choice between what the developers say and what AG has to say, I think I will go with the developers.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Actually Sunward Games’ website does list New Horizon—and they list the same publication date as adventuregamers—specifically Dec.17, 2011.
http://www.sunwardgames.com/?portfolio=the-secret-order-new-horizon
The dates for Masked Intent and Ancient Times match up too, except for the latest game, Beyond Time, which Sunward lists as “coming soon”

http://www.sunwardgames.com/?portfolio=the-secret-order-masked-intent
http://www.sunwardgames.com/?portfolio=the-secret-order-ancient-times
http://www.sunwardgames.com/?portfolio=the-secret-order-beyond-time

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

And….

What point are you trying to make? The Sunward site very recently changed. As in it changed since my last post that quoted it as the definitive resource. If you look at the inclusion date of Sunward into the database, you will see that it was just posted yesterday.

I see no need to go to war with your source material.

I really don’t care which was the first game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Note to all the Casual Game participants. The voting/nominating process for the next CCPT (Casual Community Playthrough) is open.

Please stop by and cast a vote and/or nominate a game you would like to play. If you cast a vote and find yourself too busy to play, you don’t die! If you nominate a game, I hope you will consider leading that game’s playthrough. But if you don’t have time to lead a game, but want to play it in the playthrough, nominate it anyway. I’m sure one of the participants who has also played the game will volunteer.

So, whatever the situation please do stop by and take a look at what is going on.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished Masked Intent and bought and started Beyond Time. I neither like nor dislike one compared to the other. But they are quite different in style. If I had to choose a style, I would choose the former.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just finished one of a good game, in my opinion. It’s Gothic Fiction - Dark Saga, from ERS. It’s not a new one (2012) but has very good puzzles and mini-games. And there is NO HOS, which I liked a lot. So, you can call it a puzzles game, not a HOS game, although Big Fish labeled it a HOS game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve played that. I liked it. The only problem I had was with the mapping feature. I don’t know if it was a game problem or a Tim problem. It was certainly not a deal breaker.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I was trying to play Haunted Legends The Queen of Spades but always get an error trying to enter the mansion. I don’t know what is happening. The game just crashed.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t recall having that problem. In fact I know I didn’t because I got into the mansion in order to take the screenshot. I will say that I;ve had similar problems in the past with other games. First step is to send a Dr Felix diagnostic report to BFG Tech. If they can’t help then download and reinstall BFG Game manager and the game itself. Make sure you also delete any files related to the game. Those are found at Computer/Drive/User/yourname/appdata/roaming. Look for the ERS master file and delete the Queen of Spades sub-folder.

I think most of my problems occurred when I played a demo of the CE, and downloaded the SE version.

Still, doing the above shou8ld solve your problems.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top