• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks for the review! I’m curious—the graphical change near the end—was there a plot reason for it? Did the story or the location change significantly, for instance?

BTW—I agree that taking a break in between casual playthroughs is a good idea.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

No reason I can think of. Other than the one I mentioned in the review. The graphics, by and large, are edgy. Similar in style, although brighter in color, to the original Phantasmat. Then several scenes took on a softer, more realistic look. In addition to getting to close to deadline, they also could have lost some people and had to subcontract due to a lack of manpower. Don’t know. If I play it again I’ll take some screenshots to show you what I mean. This all happens late in the game, so you wouldn’t see it in the demo.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I just finished playing Big Secret of a Small Town and I liked it. It is by Flenx Games, who I had never heard of before. The graphics are modern cartoony which is a nice change. There is no voiceover except for intermittent narration by the villain. The story is a bit on the weak side so I doubt anyone would be totally immersed in this game but it does serve to move you forward. Music is nice but repetitive. The puzzles range from easy to difficult with most being about medium. If you are good at puzzles it is a short game, if not, not. The general feel is an older game; there are no hidden object scenes. I would rate it 3/5.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve still got some credits. No HO scenes is a plus. YOu didn’t say, but I will assume this is available on BFG.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Sorry, yes, it is Big Fish. It was their “tomorrow’s game today” pick a couple of weeks ago and rapidly faded into oblivion after that.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

St Patrick’s Day sale at BFG. Collector’s Editions US$6.99@ $3.99 for SE.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 17 March 2015 11:27 AM

St Patrick’s Day sale at BFG. Collector’s Editions US$6.99@ $3.99 for SE.

I made useof the sale to buy 6 SE games:
Danse Macabre Crimson Cabaret
Twilight Phenomena: The Incredible Show
Beyond the Invisible: Evening
Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen
The Emptiness
The Big Secret of a Small Town

I’m currently playing Mystery of a Lost Planet. It is very rudementary, but has nice fantasy renderings of the planet. It is somewhat challenging due to the small hot spots and items. A few translations leave much to be desired - glave = glove and Kattle = kettle. There is one mini game that I’ve had to play twice. I still can’t figure out what the instructions mean. It is played on the PDA that you have for logging the game’s progress. The first time I played it, I won by trial and error. The second time, I just skipped the puzzle. If I get it a third time, I’ll look up the instructions somewhere else.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Big Secret of a Small Town is brutal! It is a fantastic game for puzzle lovers…which I am. But some of them are very hard. Plus, there is no walkthrough. Add to that if you hit the Skip button the puzzle solves, but unlike many other games that show you the actual solution, this game doesn’t. So if you are looking for something that helps you understand the developer’s methodology, you’re out of luck. It’s definitely one of the harder games I’ve ever played.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 18 March 2015 12:28 PM

Big Secret of a Small Town is brutal! It is a fantastic game for puzzle lovers…

I decided to try a demo of Big Secret of a Small Town and ended up buying it.
Enjoying it so far. The graphics are an interesting change.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I also played Mystery of a Lost Planet and I agree with Colpet’s assessment. I love science fiction and so I am willing to accept a lot of latitude as far as plot goes to get it. The science takes a back seat in this one but it is still enjoyable even with the somewhat silly ending. One odd thing is that at one point you come upon a cute animal in a cage. I was thinking “oh no, not another cute companion” but no, you leave the animal where it is. I wonder if it was a plot point they abandoned.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I figured out the word puzzle. There is still an element of luck to it. The end puzzle was a bust for me. I’m pretty sure I knew what to do. I just couldn’t find a clue to let me know which side (right or left) the elemental pair needed to be placed.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

colpet - 18 March 2015 08:10 PM

I figured out the word puzzle. There is still an element of luck to it. The end puzzle was a bust for me. I’m pretty sure I knew what to do. I just couldn’t find a clue to let me know which side (right or left) the elemental pair needed to be placed.

I had the same problem at the end and finally decided that I just didn’t care. Enjoyed the rest of the game though.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Just finished Big Secret of a Small Town. It took about 5 hours. The hexagon rotator puzzle alone took me over an hour and when I finally solved it, it was almost by accident. I had to get my brother’s help finding some of the small inventory items, like bits of wire, where you pretty much have to scrub the entire screen with the mouse and watch for cursor changes. The game’s “Hint” might tell you what screen to visit next, but it won’t locate the hard-to-see items for you. Overall I’d agree with the 4 out of 5 score it currently has at Big Fish.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

crabapple - 20 March 2015 03:39 PM

Just finished Big Secret of a Small Town. It took about 5 hours. The hexagon rotator puzzle alone took me over an hour and when I finally solved it, it was almost by accident. I had to get my brother’s help finding some of the small inventory items, like bits of wire, where you pretty much have to scrub the entire screen with the mouse and watch for cursor changes. The game’s “Hint” might tell you what screen to visit next, but it won’t locate the hard-to-see items for you. Overall I’d agree with the 4 out of 5 score it currently has at Big Fish.

I’m looking forward to playing this one.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I had some of the same problems with Big Secret of a Small Town. It would be unfair to call this a hidden object game. But finding 5-of-5 items to repair a piece of equipment is a “variation on a theme.” Very similar to finding the pieces of cloth in the Angelica Weaver game. And in this game some screens absolutely require a pixel hunt.

All the puzzles were fair, but it would have helped to have another person working them with me. One example from the demo is the “opening the stairway” puzzle. Very quickly I was able to figure out which three tiles had to be placed and in what order. But, if there was a clue that told me where the start point was, I missed it. So, even though I knew the solution, putting the solution in the proper place became trial and error. A second person might have said “Tim! Didn’t you see that diagram in X location?” Then the puzzle would have been solved in five minutes rather than 30.

I’m a little less generous. 3.5/5 Stars is my rating. The pixel hunting keeps it less than a 4 for me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top