• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Has anyone played Mask of Barabus? I’m stuck at the observatory, and unable to find the items I need to progress. I’ve check for WT, but there is nothing available for the portion of the game I’m in.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

colpet - 30 January 2015 08:35 AM

At GB, I posted this mini-review of The Emptiness demo:

After the demo, I marked this one ‘interesting’ and will likely purchase it. Using screen arrows to navigate reminds me of old school adventures. It plays more like an ‘escape the room’ game than the usual casual. I don’t like that you cannot skip cut scenes, but so far they have been short. No HOG scenes, but you must look for letters hidden in the surroundings. Clues are found by exploration. Though not inherently scary, the developers make use of sudden images and loud noises to scare the viewer. I did startle a few times.

I just finished playing the demo. I’m on the fence as to whether or not I will buy it. I do like the overriding sense of fear in the game, which is augmented by the sudden physical and auditory scenes that are intended to scare you sh**less.

I was not impressed by the game’s mechanics. And if the entire game, rather than just the demo, is made up of a series of “Open the door with the seal!” episodes, I think I will be quite bored by the time I’ve finished the fifth door.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

colpet - 03 February 2015 07:04 AM

Has anyone played Mask of Barabus? I’m stuck at the observatory, and unable to find the items I need to progress. I’ve check for WT, but there is nothing available for the portion of the game I’m in.

Is this in a demo? If so, Ill dl it and see what I can see. If it’s part of the post-demo game I’m afraid you’re on your own. I’m temporarily out of BFG game credits.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 03 February 2015 10:10 PM

Is this in a demo? If so, Ill dl it and see what I can see. If it’s part of the post-demo game I’m afraid you’re on your own. I’m temporarily out of BFG game credits.

No, it is the full game, probably half way through. Meh

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hi colpet—I played a short ways into the demo awhile back, but didn’t choose to buy this one. Have you checked out the Big Fish forum for the game? There appears to be some sort of glitch with a newspaper—I don’t know if that’s what’s happened where you are in the game, though.

P.S. I haven’t tried The Emptiness yet because I’m a wimp when it comes to horror and startle-scares. After watching “The Exorcist” soon after it released, for instance, I couldn’t sleep without the lights on for weeks.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Becky - 04 February 2015 09:02 AM

Hi colpet—I played a short ways into the demo awhile back, but didn’t choose to buy this one. Have you checked out the Big Fish forum for the game? There appears to be some sort of glitch with a newspaper—I don’t know if that’s what’s happened where you are in the game, though.

Yes, I checked the forum. I’m at the observatory. I’d like to think that I am just missing a hot spot, but I’ve been over every scene with a fine tooth comb. This is one of the few games that won’t let you change difficulty mid play, so I don’t know if I hit a glitch, or just not finding what I need. As far as I can see, I probably need a rock of some sort to strike a spark for light, and there are multitudes of rocks in the different scenes.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Colpet—I take it the hint system isn’t working, or can’t be enabled at the difficulty level you’ve chosen? So frustrating!

Cluelass—I played the Dark Strokes: Legend of the Snow Kingdom demo in a ways, and you’re right—I like it. I’m trying to decide if I should wait for a sale, or use my two BF club member credits.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

colpet - 04 February 2015 09:05 AM

As far as I can see, I probably need a rock of some sort to strike a spark for light, and there are multitudes of rocks in the different scenes.

The word for what you need is “flint”. Smile It’s usually depicted in other games as an item with two parts joined by a ring.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 04 February 2015 04:00 PM
colpet - 04 February 2015 09:05 AM

As far as I can see, I probably need a rock of some sort to strike a spark for light, and there are multitudes of rocks in the different scenes.

The word for what you need is “flint”. Smile It’s usually depicted in other games as an item with two parts joined by a ring.

I’ve got a metal bar just waiting for something to stike against it. A flint would work if I could find it.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

BTW, if you have played any of the Drawn games, they are being played right now as the current casual community playthrough. Please join us if you are interested. We would love to have you in the mix.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Portal of Evil: Stolen Runes

This game was recommended on the Casual Playthrough Voting thread by UruBoo, which is why I gave it a try.

Vanessa Van Helsing, who has been suffering from strange nightmares, is contacted by an Italian archbishop who knows her grandfather Abraham. It turns out that Abraham has been working for a secret sect and has gone missing for several weeks. Also missing are some seals for securing the Gate to the Underworld. Demonic forces are trying to break through the gate, and if the seals aren’t recovered, evil forces will be unleashed into our world.

Vanessa learns that her family has long been associated with keeping the gate sealed. Though she is inexperienced at dealing with paranormal forces, Vanessa’s intelligence and inherited abilities make her the most likely person to be able to find and return the seals. Vanessa is quite matter-of-fact about the incredible tasks she takes on. (I would have expected her to be a bit more emotive, but after playing Surface: The Pantheon I’ve realized that I much prefer underacting to overacting.)

In some ways – though you play from a first-person perspective—this game reminds me of the Secret Files adventure game series.  It’s also reminiscent of the House of 1000 Doors series. There’s a lovely heroine facing forces that are probably beyond her capabilities, plus travel to various exotic locations, and a battle against an evil force/organization attempting to take over the world.

Portal of Evil provides plenty of surreal cutscenes and some spectacular locations, including a cathedral in Italy, a barren, dreamlike landscape caught between heaven and hell, and (obligatory for the Van Helsings) a gothic castle with fang-toothed inhabitants. The music is orchestral and choral and often tension-inducing, varying at times between the mysterious and the bombastic.

The game contains lots of inventory challenges, plus mini-games—rotating mirrors to direct light, manipulating skulls, analyzing and completing patterns, pathfinding, and matching. The Hidden Object activities include slightly interactive list-based screens and, for variety, other HO challenges that require inserting objects into their correct positions on-screen.

I bought the CE version of this game. The Bonus Chapter extends the story a bit, but that’s not why I recommend getting the CE. The new environments you visit are as eye-popping as the ones in the main game, and it’s worth spending extra time wandering about in them.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Yay! Finally found the hot spot. Onwards and upwards.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I bought Portal of Evil - Stolen Runes based on Becky’s recommendation. I’ve rarely made a bad choice if I get what she likes.

I can certainly see why this reminds her of the 1000 Doors series. It’s got (maybe) too much in common. Right down to the number of elements you need to recover and the number of portals you need to pass through. I think the graphics in 1000 Doors are better. But that’s probably because I prefer crisper graphics. Portan’s graphics seem more as if (in camera speak) they were shot through a soft focus lens.

The 3D modeling of our protagonist, Ms.Van Helsing, is quite good. Cue continuity! She’s not carrying a suitcase in inventory. How doe she change clothes in mid-plot?

I’ve only been through two portals so far. I’m curious to see what the other two look like.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Colpet—now that you’ve found it, what made it so difficult to find? The sheer number of rocks sitting around?

Tim—I’m curious to know what you’ll make of the last half of the game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished it. I thought the transposition of souls in the third episode was a nice change of pace.

The ending, though, was totally unsatisfactory. While we think it was Benedict that stole the seals, that is unconfirmed. We don’t see the grandfather’s fate resolved. Ditto with the hunchback.

I found 11 of the 15 messages. I didn’t do the tutorial, as usual, so I really didn’t know I was supposed to be collecting them. I’ll pay more attention if/when I replay the game.

The puzzles, while of the same type, were much easier in this game than I’ve experienced in others. E.g., the “moveable rings” puzzle in the last episode. The rings lock into place when they are located correctly. That turns it into a trial and error puzzle rather than one that must be “solved”.

Music, effects and voice acting were quite good. I’d give it 3/5 stars. It would rank a little higher if not for my disappointment with the ending.

I don’t know whether the CE overcame my objections. I bought the SE as I usually do. If the CE did, then the bonus material isn’t really a bonus, but a critical part of the actual story, and should have been included in the SE.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top