• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Colpet—now that you’ve found it, what made it so difficult to find? The sheer number of rocks sitting around?

It was in the foreground, at the edge of the scene, one of many similar bricks.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Colpet—Thanks for letting me know. Sometimes I miss items in the foreground too. It would be interesting to see research on what the eye typically examines in a scene—I tend to not look at the foreground and the extreme edges as much as the center and background of a scene. 

rtrooney - 08 February 2015 01:36 PM

I don’t know whether the CE overcame my objections. I bought the SE as I usually do. If the CE did, then the bonus material isn’t really a bonus, but a critical part of the actual story, and should have been included in the SE.

I would say that, though definitely not story-heavy, the Bonus Chapter resolves both issues, one clearly, and one a bit more than in the SE. There is an indication, though, that a sequel is planned so even the Bonus Chapter ends with something of a cliffhanger.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was afraid of that. The bonus material in Fright gave some additional insight into the personalities of the various characters, but didn’t in any way alter the way the SE version ended. IOW, perfect bonus! I really dislike it when I play a game that has an unsatisfactory ending, only to find out that loose ends were tied up, no matter how “loosely”, in the CE version of the game.

I would like it if BFG had a policy regarding the games it sells that said the SE version of the game has to be complete in and of itself. Any bonus material contained in the CE is exactly that.

In any case, I’m going to reduce my rating to 2.5/5 stars. You shouldn’t have to pay twice the money or three times the credits to find out how a game actually ended.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I had a nice lunch with a person who works in the casual game “business.” I asked her about the SE/CE problem. She said that BFG has a standards document that specifies what bonus material must contain. e.g. that the bonus “game” must be of a certain length. But there is no specification for content. So, the likelihood of me succeeding in getting BFG to stipulate that the SE version of the game conclude within the boundary of the game is so remote that it’s not worth pursuing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I took advantage of today’s BOGO sale on Big Fish and bought Dark Strokes: The Legend of the Snow Kingdom and Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan. Since it’s a Monday with bonus punches, I also got a free game—Graven: The Purple Moon.

I’ve played the demos for each game, and they all look good so far.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played this game. If you remember, it’s the game that is quite good, but has some ludicrous plot themes. Such as the king’s treasury consisting of “untouchable” gold, a la Midas, which raises the question of how he spends it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - The review of the game is on this page. Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks for the link. I had searched for it unsuccessfully—sometimes searching the thread doesn’t reveal much. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 16 February 2015 09:54 PM

Thanks for the link. I had searched for it unsuccessfully—sometimes searching the thread doesn’t reveal much. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. The search function at the top of the page isn’t working anymore for me either. I typed in “Legend of the Snow Kingdom”, no quotes, and the only thing that came up was your first message on this page that referred to the game. That’s surely not the way I remember it working.

In fact, if the site is no longer capable of searching the entire Casual Games thread for messages containing key words then I start to question the rationale for the “contiguous thread concept”. Maybe TimovieMan knows what’s going on.

Right now, we’ve got over two years of reviews that aren’t searchable by game title. That’s a little scary.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s odd, when I typed in “Legend of the Snow Kingdom” (without quotes), I got this thread with a “Keyword found in many replies” message. Clicking “Search this thread” next to that gave me links to 11 specific messages here…
Edit: now 12 with my post included (provided that link works for you)

I’ll concede that the forums have been quirkier since that update in November, but the forum search function still works more or less normally to me.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yay! You’re right. I assumed when I searched the forum for an individiual game that there was just one hotspot on the results screen—clicking on it always took me back to the beginning of the thread. I never tried clicking directly on the greyed-out “search this thread” text.

This is why I am a sloooow adventure gamer. I don’t click around enough. 
Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Very strange. The method TimovieMan described wasn’t working for me yesterday, but today it is. Fingers crossed that it stays that way. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just finished playing two games, Lost Lands - The Four Horsemen and Midnight Mysteries - Ghostwriting.

I’ll write a review of the former in a few days. I just wanted to give you my overall impressions in case any of you were looking to play either of the games. Both are in the Top 30 list at BFG. Side note, I played the SE of both games.

Lost Lands - The Four Horsemen is another 1000 Doors clone. But it is well worth your consideration. While the latter did allow for some inter-portal travel, this game has a lot of it. It has an interactive map which is invaluable. Without taking copious notes it would be impossible to remember where the item you just retrieved in portal 4 is supposed to fit in some other realm. Whereas in 1000 Doors the number of locations within each portal was somewhat limited, the number of locations in this game is HUGE. You will be using the map constantly, if only to remember where you are. For the most part, the puzzles are fair. But there are a few hard ones, and also a few of the ones I hate which are the ones where you know the solution, but the process is so tedious that you want to hit the Skip button. There are a few HO scenes. Most are of the silhouette variety. Very abrupt ending. I give a 3.5+/5 stars. If you like portal games you will like this one.

Then there is Midnight Mysteries - Ghostwriting. The series has had a fairly long history. The games are based on historical figures, usually authors. I played the first one, based on Edgar Alan Poe. I’ve also played some that were based on Twain, Lincoln, Houdini. I’ve also skipped a few. The current game is based on a duo of Charles Dickens and Washington Irving.

While the series has kept the same general theme, this game is developed by Game Forest Games. It is at least the third, and maybe the fourth developer to take on the continuation of the franchise. It is, IMO, the least successful so far. The game is buggy. It is slow to load. It crashes. The hint system is unreliable. The mini-game objectives are often confusing if not un-understandable. Given that, going into the quality of music and effects is un-necessary. If the rest of the game is that bad, it doesn’t matter if the music is good. I would not recommend this as a buy.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just downloaded Phantasmat - The Endless Night. I was interrupted, so I only got to play about ten minutes. But here is an important first impression.

I loved the first Phantasmat. It was a great game for discussion. The second game was put out by ERS Games. Totlly different graphic style. Totally different way of telling the story. While I didn’t really dislike it, it was standard ERS fare which I have grown to dislike.

Well, the franchise has moved yet again. This game comes from Eipix, which most of us think of as one of the better casual game developers. I don’t think this game will disappoint. The graphic style is much more like the original than was the ERS version. I’ve already been through two HO-style scenes in the first ten minutes. I hope the frequency diminishes as the game proceeds.

The game is still in BFG’s Top 30, so it’s relatively new. I don’t remember it there is a CE. If there is, it must have scrolled off the list.

Edit: BTW there is a “spooky game” sale on today at BFG. The above game is eligible. All spooky games on the list are available for $3.99 US.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen sounded good. I got the CE.

I played Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials years ago and enjoyed it immensely. It was an early example of eschewing Hidden Object random objects, and placing items in HO screens that actually had some relationship to the environments and story. I own a couple more of the Midnight Mystery series, but haven’t played them yet.

There is a Phantasmat: The Endless Night CE edition—the original Phantasmat apparently is so popular that it bumped it the more recent game off the top part of the page.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top