• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter Concerns

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

millenia - 24 June 2013 03:15 PM

I would have backed Cognition and Resonance had I heard from them, but I didn’t - not until the campaign was over anyway.

Me two.

My own policy regarding backing games that i’m uncertain about, is to back them but only with the minimum pledge required to get a download. The idea is that if just 1/2 or a 1/3 of these turn out to be great games i would have bought anyway, then i wouldn’t have spend (much) more than i would have buying them on release.

This is of course only with games i’m uncertain about, if i don’t like it i don’t back it, and if i’m enthusiastic about the project, i back with higher pledges.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

That’s a good philosophy; that’s how I do it.  If I’m really interested, I’ll pledge more, otherwise, I just get the digital download.

Bt

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I agree that’s a good philosophy although even for the games I backed I didn’t pledge more than the minimum (except for Moebius for Mystery Game X if we ever see it and Dreamfall because The Longest Journey is my favorite video game series).

I think I will wait on the current ones and if they are close at the end I’ll throw in for the minimum to get the digital download.

I really like this website: List of Adventure Game Crowdfunding Campaigns for keeping track of games.

It seems there have been more successes than failures so I’m glad for that and of the ones that failed I didn’t see any that looked too appealing. I think it would be very useful if AdventureGamers had a list like this on the main site.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

This isn’t about any adventure game KS, but more of a cuationary tale of KS gone wrong.

In the midst of my original KS enthustiasim I pledged on one project, that seemed pretty interesting. The project is called Code Hero, a game that aims to tech coding in a form of FPS game. At first all was fine, despite the the crew was a bunch of enthustiastic amateurs. They provided alpha and such and all seemed to be in working order.

Then it all went wrong. The team ran out of money (a total of 170k) and this lead into many of the team members leave the project for paid jobs. Also those who pledged for physical rewards were left waiting, as the team doesn’t have money to fill those pledges. And to add insult to injury, the project leader has made countles promises, which he has broken one after another. Now the situation is, that he doesn’t even really try to communicate whit the backers anymore and that some U.S.A. based backers are considering suing the project. What good that’ll do, I can’t say.

Luckily I haven’t lost that much, only 14 bucks. I’d be happy to get that back though and as per KS rules I’d even be entitled, as the project is, as for now, in a situation where it can’t be delivered. There’s even a couple of backers who’ve pledged 10k and such, so I’d wager some people are fuming at the moment.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

That Code Hero thing sounds like a serious case of poor planning on the part of those developers.  Seriously, if you can’t make and follow a simple budget, you have no business making commercial games.  Fuck those guys.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, I’d say poor planning has a huge part in it all. Then there’s too much ambition and not enough actual skill to pull it off in time and on the money. And not to mention inability to use the budget correctly.

But in short, Code Hero is the reason I don’t back projects without track record. No matter how nice the pitch sounds, I don’t back it if the project creators can’t provide any evidence that they can walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top