• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter Concerns

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Foinikas - 23 October 2012 02:54 PM

Why is Double Fine Adventure taking so long?Sorry I’m not really keeping up with all the kickstarter stuff,but…shouldn’t it have finished by now?

The schedule got pushed back quite a bit when they got much more money than they expected. Pre-production ended I think a couple of months ago, and the game is supposed to get released in April.

If you’re interested, highlights from the documentary series covering the pre-production phase were released for non-backers last month.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

How can it get pushed back if they got more money,lol Tongue

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Because as a result the scope of the game was significally expanded and thus they prolonged the production cycle accordingly to properly flesh it out.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Any update, still april or the budget concerns are pushing the game release
way later???

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The latest official word (from Chris Remo earlier today) is: “We’re steering clear of setting a new release date at this point. We just don’t want to be in a situation again where we give a date and have to push it back. We’d rather just put the needs of the game first, to the extent the resources allow.”

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Backers be damned, eh?

No, I don’t really care. There’s just too much other stuff around for me to be worrying about anything to do with DFA. Was pleasantly surprised to see another episode waiting for me today, but I haven’t even noticed it’s been months since the last one. And as for a release date…one thing is certain- it’ll be out sooner than Mystery Game X is revealed, that’s for sure. Tongue

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

A.A - 08 March 2013 03:51 AM

And as for a release date…one thing is certain- it’ll be out sooner than Mystery Game X is revealed, that’s for sure. Tongue

LOL!

I watched the new episode of the docu last night and almost fell asleep. Found it utterly boring. Which surprised me, cause I liked all the previous ones. And I didn’t much care for their talk about additional funding, although it sounded reasonable enough. No, you can’t go to a publisher for additional funding, at least you got that part right, Greg! I don’t know… they were willing to make a game for 300,000 dollars and now they’re unable to stick to a budget of 3 million? Also, I wish I liked the look of the game more. When Schafer said “this is looking good!” my immediate reaction was “No, it is not!” I hope, I sincerely hope I’m wrong and that I will love the game once it’s finished.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Fien - 08 March 2013 06:22 AM

I wish I liked the look of the game more. When Schafer said “this is looking good!” my immediate reaction was “No, it is not!” I hope, I sincerely hope I’m wrong and that I will love the game once it’s finished.

I really don’t get what anyone sees in Nathan Stapley’s art style, I find it quite abysmal. It’s a shame because during the early stages they had loads of artists around a table, and I thought Peter Chan’s work was really amazing.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Latest from Remo

We’re working on the first trailer and public materials now. It shouldn’t be TOO long!

Also people are happy with new updated look of game, style is same though.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Fien - 08 March 2013 06:22 AM

I don’t know… they were willing to make a game for 300,000 dollars and now they’re unable to stick to a budget of 3 million?

Their original goal really has nothing to do with them being over-budget.

From watching the documentary series, it’s clear that things weren’t moving quickly enough at the beginning due to several factors. Although no one outright said it, it appeared that Tim was taking longer than expected to design the game, the engine needed substantial modifications, and the whole art situation wasn’t really thought through properly.

I was really happy to see the game coming together in the last episode. It feels like they’re back on track now. The cloud colony level looks a hundred times better than it did in previous episodes, and the in-game art style is really unique. I prefer it over your typical cartoony adventure game style.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Well, look at it this way. When Tim pitched the project on kickstarter, he mentioned that if it fails at least they’ll catch it all on camera. Wink

I rather liked the last episode. It was more upbeat than the previous one or two installments. Of course that’s the nature of game development, but still I was happy to see Tim a little more stress-free and riding around with John Romero (that guy’s hair is still awesome).

As for the art style and animations, I think it’s all still a work in progress, so things will get better. We’ve only had a few glimpses of one or two environments (the clouds), so I imagine there is much more to be revealed or seen when the game is released.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And now Hollywood is turning to Kickstarter as well…

Are they honestly telling us that Warner Brothers couldn’t fork up 2 million dollars on their own???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I also had some issues with my password for the Space Venture site. Am going to have to look into it more. Might be something I’m doing wrong.

On the positive side…

Just want to add that I’ve been extremely impressed with the progress so far on Replay Games’ Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded. The alpha build definitely exceeded my expectations, and the communication from the team has been terrific. (Josh Mandel is a treasure.) It’s kind of ironic that the new Leisure Suit Larry is the Kickstarter-funded game that is looking the best (the art, new writing and music look to be superb), especially considering the drama that went down during the Kickstarter campaign and their need to change developers. They also didn’t have the biggest budget, considering that a big chunk has to go to Codemasters for the license. Gotta hand it to Al Lowe, Josh Mandel, Paul Trowe (yes, he’s shameless, but at least he’s passionate and pulled the whole thing together), the N-Fusion team and the rest for creating what is looking to be a real winner of a game.

I also backed Jensen’s project, and am eagerly waiting to see what Mystery Game X is.

As for DFA, I’m hoping for the best! I’m sure it will be well worth the wait. Didn’t love the look of some of what I saw, but I know it’s far from final.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I’ve prepared for Jane Jensens Moebius to be among the lesser games of the lot I’ve backed. With SpaceVenture I’m not yet fully formulated my full thoughts, as I like what I’ve seen, but we know so very little about the actual game.

Larry Reloaded does look good, but there still are some things about it that can go either way. My biggest concern, at least based on the alpha footage I’ve seen, revolve around the character art, of which some seemed rather inconsistant, especially the backer characters.

Tex Murphy could turn out really good. The small snippets of in game art look good, so the rest really is left upon the actual gameplay and how the FMV cast actually acts.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

tomimt - 14 March 2013 08:35 AM

Larry Reloaded does look good, but there still are some things about it that can go either way. My biggest concern, at least based on the alpha footage I’ve seen, revolve around the character art, of which some seemed rather inconsistant, especially the backer characters.

Agreed! The artistic elements usually aren’t my main concerns when playing adventure games (usually care more about the writing, gameplay, humor, etc.), but I would agree about the backer characters. Definitely one of my quibbles when testing out the Alpha version. But my main impression of the game was that it is, simply, fun. Fun to explore and interact with the characters and environments. Wouldn’t be surprised if it creates new Larry fans or even new adventure game fans.

Funny thing is that the Jensen project was initially the one I had highest hopes about, and Larry initially near the lowest. Now the reverse of that is true, though maybe I’ll be very pleased with Moebius in its final form.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top