• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter Concerns

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jatsie - 15 March 2013 12:02 PM

On the whole it is a pretty nice looking scene though, the backer sprites just could have used a little more of the artist’s magic to give them some actual character.

The Comic Book Guy seems decent enough. But then, he’s also the most cartoony of the backers, so he fits better with the art.

I agree that the backers feel a little *off* compared to the rest, but given all the criticism I’d expected a lot worse. This is not so bad, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 15 March 2013 12:19 PM

I agree that the backers feel a little *off* compared to the rest, but given all the criticism I’d expected a lot worse. This is not so bad, imo.

Agreed. It’s actually quite a stunning game. I played the Alpha, and the full effect of the hi res backgrounds and all the animation is rather beautiful. The slight “off-ness” of the look of the backer characters was a small quibble of mine and nothing more.

The dynamic lighting is also rather cool. When Larry walks under certain lights or goes through shadows, he changes colors slightly. There is a lot to like and to marvel at visually in this game.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Jatsie - 15 March 2013 10:09 AM

Does anyone have a screenshot of Lefty’s Bar which shows the backer characters?

teme - 15 March 2013 10:55 AM

LINK

The second guy from the right reminds me of this character
http://www.gocomics.com/basicinstructions/2013/03/08

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m not quite sure why the girl is so pale compared to others; she looks somewhat like a vampire with this undead vibe going on.

I think it’s not so much in paleness, but rather that she could use some more color variety, shades… she, but other characters as well, feel very “generic” or “flashy” in the lack of better wording.

Larry also seems very short next to the rest, barely tall enough to see over the bar.

I agree, but now looking at LSL7 screens, it’s nothing new - I haven’t played Larry 1-6, but looking at the original Larry does seem slightly taller, or more in proportion with other characters.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Josho - 14 March 2013 07:01 PM

Of course, LSL2 is going to have its own difficulties. It’s a much bigger game than LSL1, and has never been done as a point-and-click before. So we’ll have our hands full.

I’m playing LSL2 right now, and I gotta say, the point and click interface probably seems like the least of your concerns on that one. It’s very funny, but the design needs some serious rethinking on a pretty fundamental level. It’s all dead-ends with no real feedback.

In that sense, I’m actually really looking forward to that one, in the hopes you guys can make a real game out of it.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

diego - 15 March 2013 01:35 PM

I agree, but now looking at LSL7 screens, it’s nothing new - I haven’t played Larry 1-6, but looking at the original Larry does seem slightly taller, or more in proportion with other characters.

Nah, even there he looked crazy big-headed and weird compared to the other characters.

I saw his skeleton in the Mutter Museum once.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 19 March 2013 11:33 PM

I’m playing LSL2 right now, and I gotta say, the point and click interface probably seems like the least of your concerns on that one. It’s very funny, but the design needs some serious rethinking on a pretty fundamental level. It’s all dead-ends with no real feedback.

In that sense, I’m actually really looking forward to that one, in the hopes you guys can make a real game out of it.

LSL2 is the one I waiting for the most as well. It’s propably going to be the remake that will differ the most from the original game. I think Al Lowe said it himself as well, that LSL2 is the one that needs to be redone the most, as it has so big design flaws in it.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

tomimt - 20 March 2013 02:51 AM

LSL2 is the one I waiting for the most as well. It’s propably going to be the remake that will differ the most from the original game. I think Al Lowe said it himself as well, that LSL2 is the one that needs to be redone the most, as it has so big design flaws in it.

Yep, I look forward to this one as well. The puzzle designs, etc need some adjusting, of course, but this one is going to be awesome in hi res and with all the spoken dialogue and new music. It has one hell of a wild plot. :-)

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Frogacuda - 19 March 2013 11:33 PM

I think the hardest part will be making the early sections ‘fun’ - almost all of the other environments in the series are quite goofy, but the town at the start always seemed like it was trying to be realistic and ended up quite drab.  The rest of the game should hold up better, as long as all the unwinnable situations are resolved.

Worst thing about LSL2 was the lack of the patented Larry girls   Naughty

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

For me the issue with the backer characters is their expressions. Comic Book Guy in Lefty’s Bar is fine, unlike the other characters that are smirking and grinning “Hey! Look at me! Do you see me? Yeah, here I am! Haha, I’m so awesome!” right at you, Comic Book Guy actually looks like a character with… well, character. He’s not facing the player, knowingly smiling, he’s sitting at the bar, slouching even. He’s not staring at the camera, he’s looking over his shoulder at Larry with a mildly bemused expression. He fits in. You know what, screw the other backer characters, Comic Book Guy is my hero. I hope he gets his own spin-off game, Casual Hoodie Carey.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m actually pretty interested to see how the actual backer specific jokes, like the walk of shame stuff and all, work in the end.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*bump*

Sometimes offensive projects get through Kickstarter’s filter.

Recently a ‘guide’ to seduce abuse women got funded because Kickstarter responded too late when they found out about the true content of the campaign.

At least they’re upfront about having done wrong through inaction.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i continue to be fascinated with crowd funding and all the potential it has to influence industries. However… im not really eager to jump in and fund anymore… The double fine experience aside, communication for many campaigns deteriorates and the goals these projects set are frequently unrealistically low for what they want to accomplish and then they only realize this halfway through making the game. So while i’ll often see projects id be inclined to back, i instead say “yeah.. i’ll buy that if/when it comes out.. i dont need to add to my list of projects to watch on the brink of disaster.”

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I would just like to chime in on the kickstarter issue. So I started playing Cognition this week and am already on chapter 3 and I like it a lot. The story is amazing and Erica is a great character. The things I don’t really like are the animation and clunky interface but they are issues I can definitely look past. Also, last year I played through Resonance and thought it was great as well. These are two adventure games funded through kickstarter that I would never have backed had I heard of them back then but definitely bought and really enjoyed when they were released.

I have since backed multiple adventure game kickstarters (Double Fine, Moebius, Project Fedora and Dreamfall Chapters) but all of these were from developers I had heard of before. I am looking forward to these titles but the waiting game is very difficult.

After the original rush of games last year I kind of got burnt out on supporting games, until Dreamfall, that is and here is my dilemma. I would like to see a lot of the current kickstarter games have a chance at getting made. For example, the Armikrog and Harvest game look very interesting and I’m sure I would consider playing these games if they were released but I don’t want to be bothered backing them and worrying whether they will come out or not or taking the chance that I won’t like them after keeping track of their progress for a long time. I also like to wait to read reviews first before buying games I’m unsure of to see if it is something I will like.

I’m glad that kickstarter exists and I think that it is great that smaller unknown individuals used it to successfully create amazing games (Resonance and Cognition) but I’m still having doubts about whether I should jump in and support unknowns before their games are made. Good luck on the campaigns though!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I would have backed Cognition and Resonance had I heard from them, but I didn’t - not until the campaign was over anyway. I’d really like to have more money to support all these great adventures, even though some of them are of course bound to be less than brilliant.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top