• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifuNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #34: The Cat Lady

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 14 July 2015 09:27 AM

I also did notice that the guy that dies when we blow out the candle in chapter 2, died at 10:08 according to the clock behind him, and the clock in Susan’s hospital room was stuck at 10:08!
The clock in Ann’s room was stuck at 11:40, so I guess that means the next “candle-victim” will die at 11:40, or is there perhaps another meaning to this?

Gasp

Full points for perception!!!

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 14 July 2015 09:27 AM
TimovieMan - 14 July 2015 06:42 AM
chrissie - 14 July 2015 06:26 AM

No, you can’t avoid blowing out the candles but I interpreted that as just seeing an event rather than prompting it?

I interpreted that as actually prompting it, but most of the responsibility isn’t yours, because both cases we’ve seen so far were probably going to happen whether we blew out that candle or not.

I also interpreted it as we are directly causing their dead, and that this is the price that Susan has to pay for her own immortality. Every time she dies someone else has to die, so that she can return to life.
The whole blow out the candle is kind of similar to when one of the Moirai cut your “thread of life” in Greek-Roman mythology, and come to think of it, the Queen of Maggots does remind me quite a bit of the Moirai or Norns in Nordic mythology. So the Queen of Maggots is more of a Fate thing than Death?

While we are on the subject, I also did notice that the guy that dies when we blow out the candle in chapter 2, died at 10:08 according to the clock behind him, and the clock in Susan’s hospital room was stuck at 10:08!
The clock in Ann’s room was stuck at 11:40, so I guess that means the next “candle-victim” will die at 11:40, or is there perhaps another meaning to this?

Edit:

Sefir - 14 July 2015 09:15 AM

While I have no personal experience of psychologists (My father was a psychiatrist but that’s another thing entirely) ...

Actually Dr. X is a psychiatrist and not psychologists.
Technically psychologists aren’t doctors, they can’t prescribe medicine and you would have psychiatrists and not psychologists working at the mental ward at a hospital.

I don’t want to believe that blowing out the candles ACTUALLY causes anyone else’s death - they’re already suicidal & are going to do it anyway & Susan just has a glimpse when blowing out the candle - she doesn’t make it happen, how could she cause it?

Yes, I noticed the times on the clocks too - not quite as observantly as you Izno but felt that they were more of a fate thing beyond Susan’s control, it was going to happen whatever & she was not in a position to not blow out a candle!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

chrissie - 14 July 2015 12:56 PM

I don’t want to believe that blowing out the candles ACTUALLY causes anyone else’s death - they’re already suicidal & are going to do it anyway & Susan just has a glimpse when blowing out the candle - she doesn’t make it happen, how could she cause it?

Btw I also believe that we cause the death of people by blowing their candles. A life for a life.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 14 July 2015 01:11 PM
chrissie - 14 July 2015 12:56 PM

Btw I also believe that we cause the death of people byb blowing their candles. A life for a life.

NO! I stick to my belief in that by blowing out the candles it’s a glimpse of other people going the same path of Susan [spoiler] but as said she doesn’t cause it! Susan to me definitely doesn’t cause it but is privy to glimpses of people about to take their own life.

I’m sorry Sefir, I just don’t believe that you can cause the death of someone by blowing out their candle - the people she sees were on the brink of killing themselves anyway & Susan just had a vision of that when she blew out the candle. Besides, her real deal with ‘the devil’ is to get rid of 5 parasites - 1 of which has been dealt with depending on how you played the game

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

chrissie - 14 July 2015 01:56 PM

NO! I stick to my belief in that by blowing out the candles it’s a glimpse of other people going the same path of Susan [spoiler] but as said she doesn’t cause it! Susan to me definitely doesn’t cause it but is privy to glimpses of people about to take their own life.

Well, not all cases in the candles are about suicide. Depends on the candle you wish to blow. Makes sense though taking Susan’s case into consideration. 

I’m sorry Sefir, I just don’t believe that you can cause the death of someone by blowing out their candle.

Well, I also don’t believe in resurection after being stabbed multiple times. Yet Susan did it. I told you that the game had strong metaphysics elements that ca be interpreted either way. I think that the fire in the candle represents a person’s life. When the fire is off, so is the person’s life. That could happen either when the candle ends (full human lifetime) or if something abrupt occurs in that person’s life (which happens if someone blows the candle)

That doesn’t make Susan a bad person in my eyes of course. She doesn’t have much choice (or even knowledge) in the matter anyway.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Just an insight about the candles from a person that has suffered (or is suffering) from depression:
It’s very possible that Susan doesn’t care. Emotions and especially affection to others is one of the things severely depressed people lose. In my depressed state I would not care whether it’s just a glimpse of the death or causing it. Not because I’d wish ill for anyone, just because I would not be capable of caring about some random person where ever, when I hardly care about myself or the people close to me.

This was one of the reasons why I didn’t panic about blowing out the first candle. I did not try to blow out the rest though, but that was like throwing a coin 50/50 decision.

I would interpret it as life for life. First Susan killed herself with the pills and the first candle was blown out. Then she got stabbed and the second candle was blown out. It’s pretty clear exchange. And while the Queen of Maggots perhaps gave Susan a gift of purpose, it obviously comes with a cost. If Susan embraces the new purpose, she’d probably be able to overcome the depression, but then she’d wake up to feel the emotions of that life exchange. It’s a lose lose situation.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 14 July 2015 09:15 AM

“A few drops of blood” she said!! “Just a scratch” she said!!

‘Tis but a scratch!

Great way to introduce the credits anyway…

Absolutely!!! Heart

I really loved the way of storytelling in the doctor’s office. Ingenious.

I agree completely.
The game makes the most use of all the possibilities that AGS has to offer. In fact, I’m seeing things in this game I didn’t know were possible with AGS.

Really nice change of artistic depiction.

“Artistic” is the very definition of this game, imo.

Btw I also believe that we cause the death of people byb blowing their candles. A life for a life.

I believe this as well, but you can’t deny that both deaths we’ve seen so far were pretty much out of our control. If someone already has the noose around his neck, then we’re not influencing his suicide much, and the old lady in the hospital looked like a goner anyway too.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Thanks for nothing! ... Goodbye. (and in case you are wondering, it just means that I have now finished chapter 3 and 4)
BTW: Isn’t this turning into a bit of a CAT-phrase for Susan

First of all: Is it actually possible to complete chapter 3 without suffering a panic-attack?
I seem to recall that I did that on my original playthrough, but even though I tried twice and believe that I avoided all the avoidable stress reasons, like using bad milk or blowing up the microwave when nuking dinner, then she immediately goes into panic when the neighbour threatens to get her cats killed.

Perhaps I just remember it wrong?!

A few other notes:

1) She is a real bitch!
[spoiler]Glioblastoma that is, Mitzi on the other hand is awesome - I love her.
It is a such a pity that she has to die - or does she?[/spoiler]

2) Is that Teacup? - It has to be!

3) Love Susan’s outfit at the end of chapter 4.

4) Does a frozen burger nuked in a microwave actually count as food?
Personally I would rather eat cat food, but then what should she feed her cats? A bit of a riddle here: You only have one edible item in your flat and no money to go shopping, how do you feed both yourself and all the cats in the neighbourhood?

5) There is no way the police would NOT respond, if they get a call from a women who claims she has been kidnapped, and that her kidnappers is about to kill and eat her. It doesn’t matter how little they believe her or how crazy they think she is, they are simply obliged to at a minimum send a patrol car. But of course if they did, then there wouldn’t be much of a game.

6) Susan is getting a little bit too comfortable in her new role as an avenger for my taste.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 14 July 2015 06:26 PM

(and in case you are wondering, it just means that I have now finished chapter 3 and 4)

You’re fast!

Is it actually possible to complete chapter 3 without suffering a panic-attack?

Yes. If you go straight to your bag and pay for electricity without even trying to turn the lights on, you close all windows so there is no light to create the scary shadow in the corridor, you don’t use the milk and of course you use the microwave correctly. After all these, when the fuss with her neightbour is off, she gets a well-deserved sleep. Also, the final words of “Standing in the river” are slightly different in that situation.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also finished the chapters. Game is hard to put down once you start playing it.

I didn’t think Chapter 3 was very interesting. The gameplay mechanic was ok but it was too short. It was basically play it until the end and have a nervous breakdown since it’s almost impossible to avoid it at first. Start over already knowing what to do.. Still, it worked has an intermission.

Chapter 4 was great. Introduced a great new character with a terrible sad backstory, setting the field for what might the final parasite in one of the apartments. I really liked the scene of them just talking in the balcony.

The pest control parasite that came after that was appropriately dark with some nice puzzles. But i did find it weird that the woman kept killing Susan over and over and didn’t think it was weird she just came back

5) There is no way the police would NOT respond, if they get a call from a women who claims she has been kidnapped, and that her kidnappers is about to kill and eat her. It doesn’t matter how little they believe her or how crazy they think she is, they are simply obliged to at a minimum send a patrol car. But of course if they did, then there wouldn’t be much of a game.

Yeah, that was a bit of non sense humor Smile I think it kind of worked in contrast with all the dark stuff happening

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

4) Does a frozen burger nuked in a microwave actually count as food?
Personally I would rather eat cat food, but then what should she feed her cats? A bit of a riddle here: You only have one edible item in your flat and no money to go shopping, how do you feed both yourself and all the cats in the neighbourhood?

It is ony one can of cat food. I guess she also gave them the milk! Wink

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

wilco - 14 July 2015 07:36 PM

I really liked the scene of them just talking in the balcony.

That scene in particular is a bit of a hit and miss. Watching numerous Let’s-Plays on Youtube I could see that people who aren’t really into adventure games found it way too long, sometimes panicked a little probably thinking it isn’t entertaining enough and not leaving them any room for “witty” comments. On the other hand, adventure gamers who are used to that sort of thing appreciated it more. In the end, it’s like half an hour worth of dialogue. I admit, it is a bit heavy… Then again, the part that comes after it, is full of puzzle-solving. I tried to keep it balanced in some way…

Originally though, meeting Mitzi happened in chapter 5. Only later on I went back and mixed two timelines to make it more varied.

My favourite part of chapter 4 is undeniably the guest star appearance of David Firth as the pest control guy and his wife. Kudos to him for saying yes;)

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 14 July 2015 02:42 PM

I’m sorry Sefir, I just don’t believe that you can cause the death of someone by blowing out their candle.

Well, I also don’t believe in resurection after being stabbed multiple times. Yet Susan did it. I told you that the game had strong metaphysics elements that ca be interpreted either way. I think that the fire in the candle represents a person’s life. When the fire is off, so is the person’s life. That could happen either when the candle ends (full human lifetime) or if something abrupt occurs in that person’s life (which happens if someone blows the candle)

Okay, giving it a lot more thought I concede & agree with what you are saying - yes, life for a life does make sense but…....

TimovieMan - 14 July 2015 03:57 PM

I believe this as well, but you can’t deny that both deaths we’ve seen so far were pretty much out of our control. If someone already has the noose around his neck, then we’re not influencing his suicide much, and the old lady in the hospital looked like a goner anyway too.

......what makes more sense for me here is that the 2 examples were on the brink of death anyway & maybe it was more about Susan obtaining their life-force by blowing out the candle at the point of death or something like that!

Sefir - 14 July 2015 07:03 PM

Yes. If you go straight to your bag and pay for electricity without even trying to turn the lights on, you close all windows so there is no light to create the scary shadow in the corridor, you don’t use the milk and of course you use the microwave correctly. After all these, when the fuss with her neightbour is off, she gets a well-deserved sleep. Also, the final words of “Standing in the river” are slightly different in that situation.

Thanks Sefir,  I can’t tell you how many times I played through that chapter in the past trying to avoid the panic attack - I haven’t started the next chapters yet but will be following your method as I’d really like to hear the change of final words in the poem!

Incidentally I wouldn’t call a frozen burger cooked in a micro-wave food either & refuse to have a micro-wave in my home as surely irradiated food can’t be very good for you! 

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 14 July 2015 03:57 PM

But [spoiler]he wouldn’t necessarily have jumped, and the old man/women in the hospital might have recovered and lived on for several years, if we hadn’t blown out their candles.[/spoiler]

Unlike our last CP Scratches, then I don’t think you can explain everything in this game rationally. For example up until now Susan have lived a per… well I was going to say a perfectly normal life, but that really isn’t true, but I think you get my meaning. However now all of a sudden, the parasites are coming out of the woodwork and serial killer after serial killer are throwing themselves at her, and even though there is a perfectly rational reason for why each of them are going after Susan, but there is absolutely no way that it can simply be a coincidence that they are all coming for her.

The only way you can explain this, is if the Queen of Maggots is somehow pulling the strings behind the curtain. In fact the more I think about this, the more I like my previous comparison with the Moirai or Norns in mythology. She isn’t directly causing all this to happen, but she has the power to manipulate the fate of people. Simply by crossing the life-thread of people, she can ensure that they will meet, and by cutting it, on in this case blowing out their candle, she can cause their death. But it is not a direct causality like pulling a trigger on a gun, instead it is more of a fate thing.

I have also given some thought to the whole “trolled into committing suicide” thing. At first I thought that it was rather unrealistic and over the top, but after giving it some thought, then I guess you could call it plausible. If someone is already in the right state of mind, and are devoted to a forum about death and suicide, then I guess it would be possible for someone to manipulate him into actually committing suicide, though I can’t help but wonder what the moderators of that forum would be thinking Wink

Still, it worked has an intermission.

Yeah as an intermission it was perfectly fine, as a full chapter, perhaps not, but I also think of it as a little intermission in the game.

But i did find it weird that the woman kept killing Susan over and over and didn’t think it was weird she just came back

I believe that it is actually possible to complete that chapter without getting killed at all, that is except for the bleach and “Bullet for Susan” part. personally I only got killed by her one single time, and that might have been avoidable.

Sefir - 14 July 2015 08:15 PM

It is ony one can of cat food. I guess she also gave them the milk! Wink

Sour milk?
Anyway, I guess that is better than my own solution - and I don’t really think cat taste very well Tongue

Rem - 15 July 2015 04:12 AM

That scene in particular is a bit of a hit and miss. Watching numerous Let’s-Plays on Youtube I could see that people who aren’t really into adventure games found it way too long ...

It is a bit long, but it is imo also a very important scene in the game, and especially the first time I played it, I also really loved that scene. This time I must however admit I found it a little bit too long, though I would have a hard time telling you what could be cut without detracting from the game.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 14 July 2015 07:03 PM

That might also work - But I found an easier and better solution.
[spoiler]If you examine the electrical meter before trying to take a shower, then you can get the money and fill it up, without the lights ever going out, and you can complete the whole section with plenty of room left on the stress gauge.[/spoiler]

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top