• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #34: The Cat Lady

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2015-07-08

PM

As I said before. I am new to this, I joined yesterday… I had no idea that there was a specific pace. What is really sad? (Ah I just noticed the edit.) I am sad that it didn’t save! I will start again and keep to the pace, if you could please tell me how to save it?

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Brittasha - 09 July 2015 05:32 PM

I had no idea that there was a specific pace.

In every Community playthrough there is an introductory post that is good for you to read. It offers info about the game and the playthrough in general. See my first post in this thread.

Brittasha - 09 July 2015 05:32 PM

...could please tell me how to save it?

Strange that the Escape button didn’t work on you. It is what brings the Resume, Save/Load and Quit options.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2015-07-08

PM

Nope, the escape key did nothing.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Brittasha - 09 July 2015 05:37 PM

Nope, the escape key did nothing.

It only works when you are in control of Susan (and by that I mean the actual gameplay where you can walk around and interact with things). It doesn’t work during cutscenes and dialogues. Maybe you tried at the wrong times?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

What catches my attention a little bit is that apparently is a problem only with the Escape key, not with the keyboard in gral during the game (otherwise Brittasha could never control Susan at all).

So I think: or It’s what Timovieman said and you’re on trying in the wrong moments (though it would be strange to want to save the game in the middle of an cutscene or dialogue and always try it during those moments).

Or we could start by discard the obvious: Are you sure the Escape key actually works?Perhaps it is stuck/jammed or something.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

There is also the possibility of another program blocking the escape key. For example, my esc always stops working in WoW when I have Photoshop open. I don’t know why and never cared to find out since I don’t really need to have Photoshop open when I play the game Smile

Hoping to finish chapter 2 tomorrow.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

1. Yes
2. Great parents
3. No
4. Killing
5. Spear - Simply put, I saw how I could leave without killing the Doctor. However, there was no way I would have let him live. Also, the spear looked like the best weapon to use by far, better to keep my distance and it did not creep me out either.

This is, simply put the strangest game I’ve ever played. Very violent and horrific. An interesting dramatic change in horror presentation from Scratches.

Sick

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I haven’t quite finished chapter 2 yet. I only just chose one out of two doors. I’m pretty sure I solved the riddle the last time and picked the correct one, so I’m going to investigate if something different happens by going through the other one. Sefir didn’t mention it in the question list though, so maybe it won’t affect much. I’m not entirely clear on what it is that will be “lost” by choosing the wrong door, I can’t even remember if that is clarified later in the game.

I’ll go ahead and answer Sefir’s questions even though I haven’t quite finished yet:
1. Yes. I believe I did the same thing last time, but I didn’t really realise that it was a choice, I was just going through the dialogue options from the top. Also, it felt like the most in-character thing to do. She’s just committed suicide, she just wants to move on, whatever this strange lady is saying doesn’t really matter to her, was how I saw it.
2. Great parents last time, but now I said that the father had left and that the mother was an alcoholic.
3. Yes, same as last time, and I couldn’t bring myself to say something else. Tongue I felt too bad for Liz to not try and stop her from jumping.
4. I haven’t done this part yet! Last time I definitely killed him, though I don’t remember which weapon I selected. I’m definitely going to see what happens if I spare him now! Even if that sort of contradicts with the fact that I agreed to help the maggot queen.

Sefir - 06 July 2015 07:58 PM

I’ll tell you what you want to hear harald. There is more than one different endings in the game and it all depends on some in-game choices.

Great news, I hope I manage to trigger something new. To be honest, I don’t remember exactly how the ending went down the last time. Meh This was definitely one of those games where the ending didn’t matter as much as the journey there. At least that’s how I remember it. When I was approaching the end I had already gotten to know several fantastic characters and had a great (although grisly and very disturbing) ride, and I suppose that’s what stuck in my memory rather than how the ending went down.

TimovieMan - 07 July 2015 06:28 PM

The Chapter 1 ending is pure genius - a wake-up call that utterly grabbed my attention.

I remember thinking this was a little over the top the first time I played. Instead of a wake-up call, I thought the game was trying a bit too hard to shock me. I was already on edge after everything that had happened up to that point and didn’t really need it. Still couldn’t help thinking the scene was very cool, though. Tongue

Rem - 09 July 2015 08:01 AM

And hello, by the way. It’s great to see the biggest adventure gaming community play The Cat Lady:) I hope you guys enjoy it, and if you have any questions, I will happily provide answers (if I have them!;)).

-Rem

Just like to join Sefir in saying that it would be absolutely fantastic if you could stick around and comment! Smile It’s always extra exciting when a creator joins the discussion and offers some insight to the CPT.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finished the second chapter, things really started rolling now.

I love the surreal parts and I think the graphics and music create a great atmosphere.

There is some macabre humour in the game, like when leaving the suicide ward the guards say: “See you soon.”

When I met the old woman I didn’t really think of her as Death, though I did choose that option as the first question ot ask. She said she’s something that only takes, and doesn’t give. Death does give relief in some occasions. She seems more complex than just death. Initially I thought she’s the embodiment of Susan’s depression, or possibly Susan herself.

As for the questions:
1. No. I remained sceptical towards her.
2. Cold father and loving mother.
3. I remembered everything she told me, but she didn’t tell me the first thing she asked.
4. Killed him. I didn’t even try the door leading outside. The screams were something I couldn’t ignore. Plus, don’t f* with me.
5. I made both weapons but used spear, since it seemed to do the job easier.

I also “liked” the paintings (art creates a bit more complex feelings than just like, especially something as controversial as this). I cracked the door riddle too - it’s also in the movie Labyrinth Wink.

There were a lot of choices to act all pompous when killing the doctor and rescuing the girl. I chose to be a silent and anonymous force. Susan doesn’t seem like she’d believe herself to be an action hero, she just does the deed and goes home.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just finished Chapter 2.
So far this game is absolutely amazing. I’m loving it, even though it disturbs me somewhat. Smile
The graphics, the animation, the music, that sadness in Susan’s voice, the subject matter… this is one artful package!

Rem - 09 July 2015 08:01 AM

And hello, by the way. It’s great to see the biggest adventure gaming community play The Cat Lady:) I hope you guys enjoy it, and if you have any questions, I will happily provide answers (if I have them!;)).

-Rem

Wow, this is awesome! It’s always a treat when the developer himself shows up during a community playthrough! Welcome!

Love the style for your game, btw. Superbly surreal. You’ve got my full attention! Thumbs Up

Sefir - 09 July 2015 02:43 AM

Did you agree with the Queen of Maggots?
What did you chose as Susan’s parent background history? I will probably post the screens for every possible scenario in the following days. Some of them are gruesome, but always beautiful.
Did you remember everything Liz told you the day before?
Did you killed the good Dr X, or you simply chose to leave through the exit?
And if you killed him, what weapon did you use the mace or the spearNaughty

1. No, I told her to sod off. I don’t trust Death (?), and besides, Susan had just committed suicide. Giving her life again is the last thing she wanted, so don’t expect her to play by your rules.

2. Father left when Susan was little, mother couldn’t cope and turned to drink. A horrible childhood, but it’s more or less what I envisioned before I even saw the choices. Seems fitting for a depressed and suicidal character, imo.

3. Yes, I did. Replaying Liz’s dialogue because the missus had broken my immersion (and I wanted to see the amazing Chapter 1 ending again anyway) helped with the first question, though. I think I’d have only gotten questions 2 and 3 right without that.

4. Had the option to leave. Didn’t take it. I’m not leaving an innocent woman in the hands of a madman if I can help it. Doctor X had to die.

5. I made both weapons, but I decided on the mace. Seemed more appropriate. And bloodier. Plus it was the more disturbing weapon of the two, with that doll head on the top. Karma is a bitch. Naughty

I even went for a Bond one-liner. I originally thought to just say nothing and kill the Doctor, but since he was blindfolded, and I wanted him to know WHO was killing him, I decided to speak after all. The scratch remark is something I’d have used on the nurse or the security guards. What’s up, Doc? is a funny line, but not that appropriate. I went with “Do you believe in karma, Doctor?” because that’s exactly what I was doing: giving him a karmic death.
And of course I identified myself as The Cat Lady. Fitted most with the depressed yet slightly sarcastic persona I’m playing here, imo.

Sefir - 09 July 2015 05:23 AM

If you try to leave, Susan expains her thoughts and puts you in a hard dillema.

Really? What does she say?
I just saw the line that it’s the only exit out of there, and I immediately went “I’m not going through there.”.

As for the music, where ‘Inside’ was a wake-up call at the end of Chapter 1, the song “Don’t You Worry, Love” (that plays while the Doctor kills you) is hauntingly beautiful and makes the entire scene extra chilling.
So I went to the YouTube to find out more by this group ‘Warmer’, but everything I find relates to this game. Who are these guys? Their music has “Nine Inch Nails” written all over it, and I’m a big NIN fan, so I’m loving it!

Oh, and I solved the Crow’s riddle with the two doors on the first attempt. It’s a variation on the riddle with the two tribes - you’re on a tropical island that’s inhabited by two tribes, a cannibalistic one that always lies, and a vegetarian one that always tells the truth. At a fork in the road there’s a tribesman, one of the paths beside him leads to the cannibals, the other leads to safety. You don’t know which tribe this guy belongs to, or which tribe can be found on which path. You can ask one question. What question ensures your safety?
And if you must know, it’s “Which road leads to your tribe?”. Wink

millenia - 10 July 2015 08:03 PM

I cracked the door riddle too - it’s also in the movie Labyrinth Wink.

It is? Thanks for reminding me that I *really* need to rewatch Labyrinth. It’s been almost 25 years since I last saw it.

Brilliant game so far!!! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to acknowledge the dev in this thread. It’s always cool when the people behind these games poke their heads on the forum.

And I’m glad I never got around playing this game before, so that I can experience its greatness here now.

TimovieMan - 10 July 2015 08:51 PM

2. Father left when Susan was little, mother couldn’t cope and turned to drink. A horrible childhood, but it’s more or less what I envisioned before I even saw the choices. Seems fitting for a depressed and suicidal character, imo.

While this can certainly be true in Susan’s case, my experiences tell a different tale. The suicides among the people I knew have all been made by persons with pretty nice, standard families. I mean certainly every family has its skeletons but these people have siblings that still think their families aren’t bad - and never were. And yes, unfortunately we are speaking about suicides in plural here. Sorry about the bleak personal revelation.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

harald - 10 July 2015 06:49 PM

Also, it felt like the most in-character thing to do. She’s just committed suicide, she just wants to move on, whatever this strange lady is saying doesn’t really matter to her, was how I saw it.

Susan had just committed suicide. Giving her life again is the last thing she wanted, so don’t expect her to play by your rules.

I believe that more or less depends on [spoiler]the reason you think she committed suicide. If you think it was about her life having no meaning or purpose, well…the Queen of Maggots just gave her an extremely good one.[/spoiler]

harald - 10 July 2015 06:49 PM

I only just chose one out of two doors.  Sefir didn’t mention it in the question list though, so maybe it won’t affect much.

Of course it does. It was such an obvious and well-known riddle though that I didn’t even consider the possibility that someone might get it wrong. That also doesn’t mean that all the choices I ask about will affect your ending….

millenia - 10 July 2015 08:03 PM

3. I remembered everything she told me, but she didn’t tell me the first thing she asked.

He he, of course she did, you just didn’t notice it. There was no dialog option. She really does like to talk much. Smile
In fact she told you the story just after your melting alive from the hospital’s lamp nightmare.

1. No, I told her to sod off. I don’t trust Death (?)...

Btw, in one of the dialog options when you meet her, the Queen of Maggots admits to Susan that she is not Death.

Really? What does she say?
I just saw the line that it’s the only exit out of there, and I immediately went “I’m not going through there.”.

You also missed a nice screen (and another great voice performance of course). Tongue
I know you’ll load to see it.
Her line of thought though goes as followed:

I can leave now and forever forget about this place and Doctor X….
I have my own problems….I’m not cut out to bring murderers to justice!!...
I’ve got the key….It was clearly left for me to find…Was it…Was it Liz who did it?...
If it was her, it’s clear she would have wanted me to leave.
If she’d planned a revenge surely she would have left me a fucking gun instead?...
On the other hand, this man in a serial killer….He murdered a lot of women. He murdered me…
He will carry on killing if I dont put a stop to it…
And I’m pretty sure none of those brain-dead idiots upstairs will believe my story… Just like when I told them about Liz on the roof…
They will never take my word over the Doctor’s… I;m just a fucked up loser to them…
But the screaming….He’s got someone in there…His next victim…
It’s probably too late to save her…but…what if it isn’t?
I told the Old Lady that I’m not a killer…
...Maybe I’m wrong?...
I’ve never tasted vengeance before. Not like this.
What if it feels…good?
It’s time to decide.
Do I stay and fight?...or leave and carry on with my life like all these never happened?
STAY
LEAVE

I guess the choice of leaving is perhaps easier to whoever disagreed with the Queen of Maggots, since you already have shown that you didn’t want to help her with the parasites (by refusing her proposal) and Doctor X is clearly one of them.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 10 July 2015 10:17 PM

Btw, in one of the dialog options when you meet her, the Queen of Maggots admits to Susan that she is not Death.

And we should believe her… why exactly? Wink
I choose to believe she’s the closest thing to it.

Sefir - 10 July 2015 10:17 PM

You also missed a nice screen. Tongue
I know you’ll load to see it.

Darnit, I’d just gone a reasonable stretch without saving… Meh

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 10 July 2015 10:32 PM

Darnit, I’d just gone a reasonable stretch without saving… Meh

Yeah… not saving while you just got killed from a crazy psycho and got revived in his creepy dungeon/museum of horror. Smart move.  Grin
Don’t worry, I’ll post as many screens as I can later on.
(my advice though is that since there are many choices that lead to many different beautifully depicted art scenes, use the save button a lot)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 10 July 2015 10:41 PM

Yeah… not saving while you just got killed from a crazy psycho and got revived in his creepy dungeon/museum of horror. Smart move.  Grin

Hey, when I’m immersed, I tend to forget to save.
Besides, we’re immortal. Tongue

Watched the sequence, btw. The space bar let’s you speed through the dialogue to get there fast enough.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top